JD-LC1 Review

manufacturer: J&D date: 01/27/2009 category: Electric Guitars
J&D: JD-LC1
Les Paul Custom copy with a bound neck, trapezoid-inlays, arched-top, it's almost like holding the original in your own hands.
 Features: 8.7
 8.5
 7.9
reviews (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
JD-LC1 Reviewed by: Herazio, on march 21, 2006

Purchased from: Musicstore Koëln

Features: The J&D YC-LC1 (Les Paul) has the same amount of frets as a regular acoustic guitar. It comes equiped with regular D'Addario strings. The neck is made out of maplewood with clamshells on the fretboard instead of dots. There are 2 humbuckers on the guitar. The brige is a floyd rose. The same one's that are used for the Gibson LP. There are 4 volume knobs and 3-way selector (rythm, rythm & treble, treble). My guitar included a hard-case. Which is very reliable. // 9

Sound: The sound of this guitar is magnificent. It sounds like a real Gibson. I play '70s rock to metal. It sounds very clear even without an amp on. I am using a Stagg 15 Watt amplifier and I use a DigiTech RP100 effect pedal. The sound is very bright and there is less to no buzzing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar looks like a beauty. It has the original Les Paul Top. When the guitar was bought there we're no flaws found to it. Except for maybe a scratch on the pickguard. The bridge is properly routed and restringing the guitar is very easy. The frets aren't sharp at all. It weighs about 5 Kilo's which is pretty heavy if you sit down. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will definitaly stand out for live playing. I have used it for each of my concerts. The hardware is gold plated and looks like it will last very well. If you only have one guitar this is a guitar you can depend on during a gig. The finish isn't thin at all and you can rely on it for a couple of years. // 9

Overall Impression: I mostly play rock music in my band. The guitar is outstanding for people who like to play rock music. It isn't such a metal guitar although. I have been playing since September 2005 and my other guitar which was my beginner guitar was an Adonis Stratocaster Sunburst Edition. I am really a huge fan of Les Paul's and I couldn't wish for anything else then this beauty. If it was stolen or lost I would surely buy it again. It would be a waste if you didn't. I love the finish on the guitar and the reliable bridge. What I hate about the guitar. I can't say I hate it but it could weigh a little less. I compared it to a Gibson Les Paul. I chose the J&D Les Paul because this price is a lot less then a J2000 Gibson. It has the same features. Sounds the same. Looks the same. The only thing I wish it had was that you could put a hammer on it. Which is not possible with this guitar. // 9

JD-LC1 Reviewed by: _-Skeletor-_, on december 27, 2006

Purchased from: local shop

Features: It was made in Australia. Standard les paul features. It has 22 jumbo frets and a mable neck and a solid alder body. It has a black finish with chrome hardware and cream pickups selector and scratch plate and neck and body binding with gold top hat knobs. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and is a les paul style body. It has passive pickups. It has 2 tone and 2 volume controls and a 3-way pickup selector switch. // 8

Sound: I play everything but mostly heavy stuff and it suits my style well, the pickups are quite similar to that of the Epiphone Standard les paul, but a fraction better. I was using this with a Peavey Backstage plus and that was an absolute great combination for classic rock but now I use it with my Marshall VS AVT275 and DigiTech Death Metal (don't let name fool you) pedal and it works great for my style. It has quite a rich warm sound to it. This guitar can do absolutly any style! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this second hand it was in mint condition. The only thing I needed to adjust was the pickup height. The guitar contained no flaws even though it was second hand and gigged with. It did have a loose pickup selector switch but I had that fixed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is so solid! I did a guitar spin and my strap lock broke and it flew about 3 metres in the air then smashed onto the concrete floor and slid for about 5 metres until it came to a hault. I ran over to it and was really pissed off, but thank god it only had a tiny chunk of the edge of the body which looked like a rat had bitten it. I would use this at a gig with out a backup. The finish is really good and heavily put on. // 10

Overall Impression: I play pretty much everything but I mostly play "metalcore" and "post-hardcore" stuff (God I hate genres). I have been playing for a year now and this was my first guitar but I have played a lot of guitars in shops. It is about equivilent to the Epiphone Les Paul Standard. If it were stolen I would buy this again. Overall great guitar. // 9

JD-LC1 Reviewed by: aradine, on january 27, 2009

Price paid: A$ 500

Purchased from: Music Den

Features: This is a Gibson Les Paul Custom copy guitar. 22 jumbo frets, block inlays, creme binding, J&D tuners, Tune-O-Matic and stock pickups. I got this in a Standard sunburst finish although I am wishing I got it in the white and gold finish because it looks better. I am not sure of the wood the guitar is made from (possibly mahogany, but I am no wood expert), but I do know it is a rosewood fingerboard. personally I reckon it outplays some higher end epiphones, and some of my friends agree. // 9

Sound: as I have said before in other reviews, I play everything and everything which means I need something rather versatile. the pickups, as they are stock, are not the best in the world but are passable, but they do hold up well in a blues or jazz situation. I plan on making this my customizing guitar this year, and will be doing a few mods to it over the course of the year and making this my backup guitar, my main guitar for jazz/blues and my drop tuning guitar for metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: at the price I got it for, I wasn't to surprised it wasn't set up from the shop. I took it in to my favourite tech to have it done, he fixed it up the way I wanted it (except for string height as I do that myself). I've noticed over the course of me playing it a few flaws in the paint, there are two marks where no paint is taken out (looks like a dent) and there is one chip off of the front where a bolt from the pickguard wore out the paint. there are also 2 screwholes, but that is my doing as I removed the pickguard as an aesthetical choice. // 8

Reliability & Durability: this guitar has been used Live 4 times by my count, funnily enough only once by me though. I usually bring it as my backup guitar, but my rhythm guitarist prefers it over his Stratocaster and uses it Live, which is ok, because I have never broken a string Live before. the one thing that does bother me though is the toggle Switch, which when in treble position sometimes slips back into middle position, but that only happens sometimes, and I use middle position more than treble anyways. the strap buttons are not that great, and don't hold my strap which prompted me to buy Dunlop straploks (the temporary ones, not the permanent install ones), unfortunately though, when my mum was playing it without straplocks, the strap came off and the guitar hit the edge of a table chipping off a portion of the paint on the side. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 5 years, and this is the guitar I have had for the longest time, I plan on holding onto this one for a long time (as I inherited this one, which gives it sentimental value). if it where lost or stolen, I would break down and cry because this guitar means so much to me, the insurance would cover the cost of the guitar, and I would probably get the white one, or an Epiphone, but nothing could replace what this guitar means to me. // 9

More J&D reviews rating category latest review
+ 805Q 6.9 Electric Guitars 05/17/2012