JS-800 Del Mar Standard Review

manufacturer: Johnson date: 11/19/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Johnson: JS-800 Del Mar Standard
Solid Alder Body. One-Piece Maple Neck. Rosewood Neck Stripe. Adjustable Truss Rod. Rosewood Fretboard. Diecast Tuning Machines. Chrome Hardware. 3 Single Coil Pickups. 2 Tone & 1 Volume Control. 5-Way Pickup Selector.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.1
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.3
 Features: 7.6
reviews (10) 13 comments vote for this gear:
JS-800 Del Mar Standard Reviewed by: hockey_player, on january 27, 2005

Features: I got the 2004 model (made in China). Looks just like a Strat. Solid alder body, maple neck. The 2004 model comes with EMG pickups. Not too great but not bad at all for a novice guitarist. The non-locking tuners are average. The amp is garbage and so is the strap. I had to tighten all the screws and nuts when it first arrived but it seems quite solid now. Not a bad guitar for a novice, maybe even intermediate. // 8

Sound: I play a wide range of music, rock, punk mainly. I'm just using the Johnson amp that came with the guitar. The sound is not bad. It can get noisy skreechy when in light distortion, and some buzzing when using just one of the pickups. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said before, I had to tighten all the screws and nuts. Everything else seems about right. The finish looks great. No flaws at all. The pickup selector can be a bit nosy at times. I might have gotten used to it already. For the price it's a great guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems solid enough. I'm not worried about it breaking. The hardware is okay. The strap buttons seem solid also. No problems. I would use it for small audiences nothing too big. The finish on the neck started to wear a bit but the finish on the body will last a while I have used it alot and there are just some tiny scratches. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock on this guitar and nothing too heavy. For the price, this is an awesome guitar. I was a little worried when I bought it, bit its not bad. I compared it to my brothers Ibanez, and I like the way my guitar sounds compared to his. It's more crisp. If somebody stole this guitar and I didnt have the cash to buy a Fender. I would definatly go out and buy another. // 8

JS-800 Del Mar Standard Reviewed by: acecchetto, on january 22, 2004

Purchased from: QuitarBiz (ebay store)

Features: I purchased the 2003 model, which is made in China. Some of the features on the guitar are; Solid Alder Body One Piece Maple Neck Rosewood Neck Stripe Diecast Machine Heads Rosewood Fretboard 3 Single Coil Pickups 2 Tone and 1 Volume Control 5 Position Pickup Selector Fulcrum Bridge My guitar has a beautiful transparent green finish that is flawless. It is a Strat copy with a string through body system. The neck is a standard 22 fret neck. With this guitar, I recieved a strap, cable and 2 allan keys for making any adjustments. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds amazing fo rthe price that I paid. I was kind of worried because of the low cost that it would sound bad, but I plugged it in and I was amazed. I play all types of music, from System of A Down to CCR, and this guitar is very versatile. It has a nice bright sound to it. The only downside is that it doesn't have a humbucker, but that is minor, and can easily be put in. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up of this guitar was subpar, but you should always setup your new guitar, so it wasn't too bad. I had to raise the strings a fair bit, but even after that, the action was amazing! There is a little bit of a buzz on the low E when on the first 4 frets, but it's nothing too bad. The guitar was flawless... amazing considering the price I paid. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a very durable guitar, and although you should never play a gig without a backup, I would have no problem depending on just this guitar for a show. The finish seems to be nice and think, and should hold up nicely. The hardware is solid, and will last a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, and if it were stolen, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I have nothing bad to say about this guitar at all. My friend plays a Yamaha Pacifica, and loves my guitar more than his... and he paid over $200 more! If you are looking for a good guitar at a low price, or are just beginning to play, Buy This Guitar! // 10

JS-800 Del Mar Standard Reviewed by: revivedmidnight, on october 02, 2006

Features: I got this just with a whammy bar. I got this guitar fresh from the store, no carrying cases or anything. 22 frets, maple neck, and the handling on the neck is perfect for resting your hand on and just ripping it, jamming away. Body is a Strat style. You are given two tone and one volume knobs. 3 Johnson EMG pickups. // 8

Sound: It suites my music style perfectly, rock music, and sometimes slower songs, but mainly rock, heavy metal, metal, alternative, punk, etc. Yes it can be noisy on the full distortion, but take off distortion and set for that smooth feel you can get a soothing acoustic. A bit brighter in sound, but it still meets the demands. It can make quite a good variety. It can make that distorted metal, rock sound, but still pull off the whole acoustic vibe when needed. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set okay, the action was great, but the way the bridge is set up the strings can out-tune itself when using and even not using the whammy bar. So to keep this from happening to get the whammy effect you must pull or push the opposite direction to snap it back into tune. There are very slight but minor flaws, but it may have been used before resulting in this. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Yes it would withstand live playing, the hardware seems like it will last quite a while. I would go to a gig without a backup on this guitar. The finish is quite good, it will take a long time for it to wear off. I could deffinitley depend on this guitar, good enough to last. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock, and this guitar is perfect. I have been playing for 2-3 years. I own a 20 watt Yamaha amp, Death Metal distortion pad, a Yamaha 10 watt amp, a broken Yamaha EG 112-C, a guitar stand, 3-4 chords, a tuner, tons of picks, and a nice black/flame strap. I wish I could have asked for a white/black pick gaurd instead of a black/white one. I would buy it again if it was lost or stolen, just in a different color. // 9

JS-800 Del Mar Standard Reviewed by: CandyCaneChild1, on november 20, 2004

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This guitar, as far as Fender knock-offs go, is actually not that bad. I got the black and white classic version. The pickups arent too great, but any musician who cares enough about that would either not have gotten this guitar or would Switch them out. The tuning pegs and knobs are average, and I've never had any with the strap buttons. Pretty much all average, except for the strap, tremalo, (which would make the strings come out of wack easily, but whats new) and the amp. Get a new strap and better amp soon after buying the guitar. // 6

Sound: Like I said, the pickups arent that great, but as far as beginning guitars go for this price, what could you expect? When I used this, I used just the guitar with the amp, and it was (as far as I can remember) an okay sound, but had a "buzzing" tone to it. As mentioned earlier, can be fixed with new pickups. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything as far as I noticed (however, I was a beginner) was setup well. The pickups were average, bridge was average, and there were no really big flaws in the finish or faulty hardware. A big plus I gotta give this guitar, however, is that the input-jack never faultied once. Great for the money. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for about 2 and a half years, have lent it out plenty of times and done many-a performances in front of relatives so as far as I know, it would be a pretty good guitar to go on-stage with as long as you dont play too hard and arent that great anyway. Also mentioned before, never had any problems with the strap buttons. // 8

Overall Impression: I play every kind of rock, and this guitar (for the money/value ratio) accomplishes the job very well. I gotta tip my hats off to the guys at "Johnson" studios for making a pretty well designed guitar for such a low price. I really like the average-ness of the guitar, because really, I would expect a guitar like this to be really crappy. One thing I dont like, though, is that the pickups are pretty much poo poo. (sorry bout that). If someone had stolen this guitar when it was my one and only, I would have tracked them down and beaten them with a stick. Now, I'd prolly just get a real Fender. // 8

JS-800 Del Mar Standard Reviewed by: IcarusInTheSun, on august 15, 2006

Purchased from: Local smalltime music store

Sound: I mostly play technical shredding stuff like Dragonforce, Van Halen, some Velvet Revolver and A7X but I vary it up to stuff like Thrice, Nirvana, whatever I feel like. My style varies from metal to hardcore to latin to classical. The guitar has a good sound for a beginner guitar pricewise only a half step up from first acts. It can handle most of what I play though not nearly as well as I would like. The bridge pickup by itself has a tone that I don't like. It does have a nice sustain on harmonics and really draws out hammers taps and pulloffs. It's very bright and strident, however and makes more noise than it should. The rest of the settings are quite nice. I play it through the Johnson amp it came with with no effects other than some basic overdrive and what I can do with my hands. I have found that I like the sound without pedals and such. I also am dead broke when it comes to effects. However, this guitar has a substantial amount of variety although there's no way to play Unearth on it and you can also forget about Santana. But in between it's a good range and it can get a very good sound considering the price. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Okay, here's the problems start. Personally because this is my first electric I like the action but that's all personal bias because it's pretty bad. This guitar is not built for speed. The notes are clear for the most part although from frets 8-11 on the low e the string scrapes against a fret when plucked very heavily (although it's very hard to pluck that hard if you're playing correctly) and that's a terrible sound. Also bending on this is quite difficult. It's very hard to bend to 3 half steps and virtually impossible to bend further. It's built for a beginner guitarist Who really doesnt't need to worry about these things and just needs a basic machine that's a solid forgiving guitar and that it does well. However, after having the guitar for 2 months of so because of my excessive use of the whammy bar the bridge started getting pulled out of the guitar. I had to take it back to the shop. They fixed it and took out the whammy bar because it's a piece. Now the thing doesn't even screw in properly and because the tuning doesn't like even a mild divebomb kills the tuning. This is a major problem for me because I need a working tremolo. Also, the control knobs were loose and would regularly fall off and I actually had to glue them on. The finish is beautiful for the cost. Now I don't particularly care for the design because I'm not a huge fan of the Strat but all my friends have told me that they love the finish so that's definitely the most solid feature on this guitar. The pickups are set in place fine, no problems with them. The wood is also fine. It has a decent fell and since the guitar is quite light the playability is good, not great, but good. The strap buttons are terrible and I've had to take tape of hold the strap on. It doesn't stay in tune long either. I play incessantely, sometimes 5 hours a day but I have to tune it way to often I feel. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This thing survived me playing terribly and destructively on it for a half a year before I knew any better and it barely has a dent. I broke the input cord before the guitar took any damage apart from the bridge. The finish will last forever. It has one tiny dent and that's in the wood behind the laquer. The finish is definitely the most impressive thing about this guitar After the whammy bar got taken out and I glued the control knobs on, it became a solid guitar that takes considerable damage and will probably last a long, long time. The hardware should last. Call me lazy but I really haven't taken the guitar apart. All the work I've done is stuff I can do without taking the strings out so I haven't seen any of the real wiring. I would not play this in concert, let alone without a backup. I've dropped it maybe twice and it's fine but it's not the type of guitar to play in a gig. it's my practice machine, not for shows. And I would take a backup. I'm not an idiot. // 4

Overall Impression: I play whatever I feel like and I feel will improve my technical proficiency. Metal, classical, neoclassical, latin, hardcore, whatever. I have played for 2 years on guitar but practice an enormous amount and have played piano for 10 years. This guitar is generally a good match and when I first started it was a very good match although looking back on it I would have bought something else if I knew how my styles would have developed and progressed. I also have an acoustic classical Epiphone that's also a piece and within a week will have a new electric which I still haven't decided 100% on. If it was stolen or lost I would be pissed cause this is a first and a practice guitar but I would but I different one. The finish is the best part of the guitar, worthy of a guitar 10 times this things value. The whammy bar is definitely the worst part. Since I knew next to nothing about guitar when I first bought this I did not really do any real research and I regret it. However this guitar is all and all an excellent value because it's only $30 up from a walmart guitar and it's 100 times the guitar. I'm very critical so I've pointed out everything that's wrong with it but in all truth this is a great guitar for the money and if you don't play seriously and are not loaded you should seriously look at this guitar. // 8

JS-800 Del Mar Standard Reviewed by: Nirvanafan60, on november 19, 2010

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: Music workshop

Features: This brilliant guitar has 22 frets but only 21 playable frets, medium sized frets, a black solid top with a white pick guard, maple wood on the neck and body with center neck binding. It has nice clean black finish and a nice headstock shape, It has a Stratocaster body shape and closely replicated. Three active single coil Johnson EMG pick ups perfectly in position. Three tune controls on the guitar one treble control, one bass control, one volume control and a five-way pick up selector which is nice and quite when moving it. It came with a soft case carrier bag. // 8

Sound: This guitar is one of the ultimately versatile guitars because it suits my alternative/metal style but then I've heard people play some sweet blues tunes on it you just need to know how to change settings properly. A ROSS RG-10 amp with it and at times a phaser pedal and it cooperates perfectly with the amp and pedal. It can be noisy and have nice heavy full tone but then go up to a light bright tone as I said very versatile in tone. This guitar is very good at making harmonics loud and noticeable also bends, hammer ons, pull offs, slides and all that kind of stuff go nicely with it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was setup up very well and I personally congratulate Johnson on making one of the best Stratocaster style guitars made. The pick ups are brilliant and are secure and are setup properly and carefully the wiring is also very good and no major faults have occurred. Properly book matched top the neck is nice and stable and in good alignment this guitar looks exactly like it does in the photos. I haven't managed to find anything that really catched my eye no need to restring this guitar so far which is always handy, it never cuts out in the middle of playing make it a nice hard wearing guitar and very reliable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This one of the most reliable durable simple guitars I have come across and can out play my Samick Stratocaster and is more reliable but that might be because the Johnson is newer but it fells like it will last for years and years. This guitar is a good guitar and withstands live playing but I always have back up because you never know. The hardware is very durable and the strap buttons seem and feel secure to me, the finish is good and should last for years it doesn't wear of that easily even though it gets played a lot. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I love this guitar and wish I personally owned seeing this for my friend but still if I had one I would seriously consider replacing if it was damaged or stolen it because it is that good. I love it because it is so versatile and has a humongous sound for such an innocent plain looking guitar. Nothing I really hate about it it's just that good maybe a whammy bar would be nice. I would compare it to my Samick but it is still better I reckon I really wish it had come with a whammy bar that would be awesome oh and a kill Switch but it isn't meant to have on obviously. // 8

JS-800 Del Mar Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 11, 2004

Purchased from: GIOCOLETTIS MUSIC

Features: This guitar has 22 frets and it has a very fat neck, so thick it almost matches my acoustics neck, and its has a rosewood neck. It's a Strat style guitar. It has 2 tone controls and one volume control with a 5 way selector. It has three very crappy single coil pickups. this guitar is not a good guitar for any player. // 4

Sound: I like to play heavy metal like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest and the crackling in this guitar makes it sound like I hit it on someonesh head. I use a crappy 10 watt amp so that may be why but when I put it in my friends half stack it does the same thing. I use distortion like Judas Priest and that helps a little bit. You cant get any good sound of this guitar cause of the pickups. The whammy bar worked for like a month and now it doesnt fit in the slot anymore. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was not finished good at all. its frets were not filed down good so my hand got cut up every time I played until I filed them down myself. You can not downune even to d becasue the strings are sitting so close to the neck. The pickups suck like I said and the bridge is ok tho. It also had very loose hardware and the 1st string makes a kink noise when ever you hit it on the 1, 2, 3 frets. // 2

Reliability & Durability: It will not stand live playing and I wouldn't use it without a spare. The strap buttons are not solid so my guitar is constantly falling but luckily it's never hit the ground. The finish is already wering off and I've only had it for like 6 months. // 4

Overall Impression: The style of my playing of death/heavy metal doesn't match together at all. I only own a classical acoustic and a multi effect Korg pedal. I didn't buy this guitar. My grandma bought it for me and I am extemely gratful but the guy totally ripped her off. He said it was a limited edition. If someoen wanted to steel it I would hand it to them and go buy another guitar. I don't like anything about this guitar. I compare it to my brother's Schecter and Fender Strat. I wish it had some humbuckers and a locking tremelo and maybe I would be happy with it. // 4

JS-800 Del Mar Standard Reviewed by: woodenbandman, on june 07, 2006

Features: This guitar, which I believe was made 2004 in china, is a rather nice investment considering some of the other rubbish I've seen. This guitar came with some lackluster pickups, which I soon replaced for an overwound set (15$), a strap, cord, amp, which I blew, and a gig bag, which is crap. That being said, this instrument is rather good. The trem, which I have set up to be practically a hardtail, works rather well, though obviously not suited for dive-bombs. It's basically a Mexico Strat quality, with the same configuration. Generic tuners work very well, and the neck is very inviting, with a $15 set-up. It feels smooth and round, unlike some other Behringer copies I've seen. the intonation, like I said, has been set up, but has never gone out since. // 6

Sound: This guitar, with it's replaced pickups, suits my style rather well. Before I replaced the pickups, the guitar was rather bluesy and jazzy, and sounded pretty excellent, but lacked power. Now, I can still get that same bluesy, jazzy aspect, but I can explore an entirely new world of rock, and even metal, (but I don't play metal). The pickups through my Peavey century head are rather quiet, and stay that way as the gain is cranked. The old pickups, I remember, were rather noisey, but again, 15$ pickups, 15$ setup, and you're good. I would rate the sound of the old guitar at a 7, but now it gets an 8.5. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory action was rather nice, although the frets weren't so polished. The bridge was routed excellently, as were all the cavities for pickups. The pickup adjustment was okay, until I mess'd it up. The nut is slightly sharp, and the fret ends were okay. The wood sounds pretty good, and the finish was fairly strong (but I routinely flog my guitars). I must say that I much prefer natural to black, although I didn't when I bought it. The finish is rather shiny and nice. Setup gets a 8, but the setup I got in the states makes it look like nothing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Strap buttons are no good. Period. I've had them slip on me a couple times. I certainly hope that it isn't my strap, but I would definately recommend some 10$ strap locks. The rest of the guitar is very dependable. The trem, which I don't use, is good for basic vibrato. The hardware is solid, and rather nicely chromed. I would use this without a backup, because I don't own one, but some times the jack has become disconnected, but usually it's my fault. This guitar has been dropped a few times, but I wouldn't try to go on without strap locks. The finish is good, but I have managed to chip it by flogging it good. // 7

Overall Impression: I like this guitar, and it fits me rather well. I think that I am still being shaped by this guitar, rather than shaping it. This fits many styles very well, and with its 15$ replacement set of pickups, it sounds very good. If it were stolen/lost, I'd go to louisiana on my upcoming family vacation, find a wood supplier, buy some quilt maple and mahogany and make my own guitar. Fave feature - neck. Like the neck, hate the tremolo. I seriously wish that it had a neck angle, as I think that these feel better, and maybe a maple fretboard, as I have never played a quality one. // 8

JS-800 Del Mar Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2007

Purchased from: Local Small Guitar Shop

Features: Amp, cable, allen wrench. I got this Strat setup for Christmas in 2000 as a beginner instrument. It has the blue finish, 5-way, 2 tone pots, and 1 volume pot. Whammy bar doesn't dip the pitch much compared to some other tremelo setups on Ibanezes. I'm not sure, but I've heard this guitar is built in China. // 8

Sound: The bridge pickup is really noisy compared to the other two. After years of playing distorted stuff, I think the bridge pickup has burnt itself out. Clean, using either or both of the rear pickups, this guitar has pretty good tone and I can play clean tunes that sound pretty good. It would definetely suit blues, jazz, and some rock well. For beginners, this is what you want unless you just want to start crunching at metal types. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Pickups were fine until I discovered a manufactuing flaw. The pickup pole screws were too large for the hole, so more than 50% of the screw is stripped because they were forced into the hole. You cannot adjust them anymore because they will fall into the guitar body. I never adjusted the action until recently, so I would assume that the shop had adjusted it. it's a pretty dinky action, but it has worked for my own use. The nut is offset so the high E string is shifted closer to the edge of the fretboard. This causes the D and A strings to buzz on the first fret when the trus rod is tightened at all. As mentioned before, the finish is super. // 5

Reliability & Durability: The strap screws fell out completely, but I epoxied them in and they have been fine ever since. So far the 5 way selector has become very finicky ESP. with the bridge pickup. The wiring has failed at least twice within the past 3 years, and I used ee skills to fix the problems, but I don't know if the guitar ever sounded the same. I don't think this guitar would stand Live playing at all except with a clean tone. After 7 years, the finish still looks great, even though it shows some wear on the top. At first, the shop repaired all the initial kinks, but all the problems that occured were fixable with a few dollars and patience. // 4

Overall Impression: I play casually and have played in a few garage bands. I have owned a Gibson SG which is a much better instrument, it wasn't worth owning with the amount of effort I put into guitar. Get this or something with tech support if you are a beginner. I don't mind fixing it, but if I played often and for a living, I would want something a lot more solid. I love the bargain, but I do not like the fact that it sounds really dinky when distorted and the pickups were jacked up. If someone stole it, I would take immense pleasure breaking it over their head because they are such a retard. I'm keeping it because I may replace the entire pickguard assembly, and it's not worth selling for $50 on ebay. Compared to the SG, it has the snappy Strat tone, but it required so much more maintenance. I got this as a beginner guitar and it worked great for that purpose. // 6

JS-800 Del Mar Standard Reviewed by: kempo1222, on august 11, 2007

Purchased from: Fretboard Korner

Features: This guitar is great for what the price range goes around. For 175 dollars it comes with a Johnson 800 Del Mar Standard guitar with a gig bag, Johnson amp, Ernie Ball strap, and a cord. It has 22 Frets and a Maple neck. This guitar was made I China (unsure what year style). It looks just like a Strat with 3 Johnson EMG Knobs one for Volume and two for Tone. It's got 5 way selector to help you decide how you want your guitar so sound. This guitar works perfect for clean as it does for distortion. A great guitar for novice and also good for intermediate players. It's great if you get it with a free lifetime warranty (which I did when my whammy bar got stuck in the slot) // 10

Sound: I play a lot of blues punk and metal and this guitar is great for both. I am using a Spirit amp (made from Gibson, it's okay) and it's good for now. I am getting a better amp Marshall 30 w for practice. The sound is just simply great for a price alone ($129.99). The guitar is great for osund it just depends what kind of amp you use (Marshall recommended). Like I said before it has a 5way selector and 3 EMG knobs one volume and two tone. This guitar can make a variety of music styles. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Tha guitar set up at the factory was great. no marks no nothing it comes with a plastic coding that you will need to take off which is a pain! the pickups are fine you don't really need to change them. The bridge is set up nice which allows you to palm mute perfectly. This came with no flaws and is finished very nice. Mine came with a silver color and it is very nice. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand Live playing just make sure you have a back up with you. The hardware would last you a while so you wouldn't have to worry about that (along with free warranty, lifetime) I would use it in a small gig nothing too too big. this is just a good guitar for fun I wouldn't take it to be a serious playing (great for practice). // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great guitar for novice, to intermediate, you could get it for advance players if you just wanna use it for practice. I play a lot of metal punk and blues and it works out fine for me. I checked reviews before getting this guitar and I thought it would be good for me for a while until I wait till get a good good guitar. I wouldn't worry too much about this guitar if it is lost or stolen because the warranty covers it (I asked before buying) there's just so much to love about it for the price. There's nothing more T asked when I got this and it's just a fun guitar the fretboard is nice to jam on. Now this guitar is in my hand ready to be played so I'll talk to you all later! // 9

More Johnson reviews rating category latest review
+ JD27 Carolina Series II 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 09/03/2013