Les Paul Copy Review

manufacturer: Karina date: 04/01/2010 category: Electric Guitars
It definitely has a Les Paul type sound to it. Fairly gritty but missing something, particularly in the high end. Sounds better with fairly full on distortion although the clean sound is usable. Responds pretty well to different playing styles.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Features: 8.3
 7.8
 8.4
 7.2
reviews (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Copy Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2004

Purchased from: Canterbury Music New Zealand

Features: 2004 model. Made in Korea or China I think not too sure. 22 frets, solid top, undure of the wood, has a plastic coating over it. Black shiny finish. Les Paul cut. Don't know about most of the rest, I'm more interested in playing than finding out about woods and puck ups. // 8

Sound: Suits very well. I'm into lots of stuff, heavy rock and jazz and brit pop stuff as well. It all sounds great. I'm using an Ashton amp which isn't the best but it's pretty neat and ok priced too, about $250 US dollars. Very rich sound especially on the rythm pick up, harsh and cutting on the treble, it's got a pretty damn good sound. Basically this guitar can do almost as much as the Gibson. It's by far the best copy I've ever seen/heard/played. Very tidy price too. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is very good, great ease of playing. Pick ups are great. Bridge routed well, no problems with this guitar at all. Technically it's very good. I prefer to play on my mates Gibson for obvious reason, but for a 10th of the price, this guitar is brilliant. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Not played on it live yet but I reckon it'll be fine. I've accidentally knocked it about a bit (clumsy me!) and there are no marks or anything, I reckon it'd be fine to gig. I will use it next gig my band gets. Strap buttons are solid which is good for me as I tend to get a bit carried away in the riffs sometimes! I could depend on it alone in a gig I think, but inever do anyway, I usually like the comfort of having one of my other guitars ready as well. It should be ok though. Finish seems good, as I said I knocked it about a bit and there are no scratches or anything. // 8

Overall Impression: Good for heavy rock, can be played for jazz, though maybe some nicer pick ups than the ones it come with would make it better. Any rock is fine for it. I've been playing the last 6 years now, own a Fender Tele (got given it, can't afford stuff like that!) and a cheapy Samick Strat (my first guitar!) and a Cyclone Strat (got given that by an old guy whoc didn't want it anymore, it's ok). If my Karina was lost or nicked I would be very keen to buy another one, just cos of the low price and good quality. I love the action most, it makes playing so much easier! I compare it to the Gibson models, it is always gonna lose obviously but it scores pretty well. In a blind test I'm sure that most people would think it was worth a couple of grand or so, I'm sure. I would like it to have Gibson humbuckers, then it would be almost perfect! Can still fork out and get those though. // 8

Les Paul Copy Reviewed by: Joel NZ, on february 18, 2008

Purchased from: Go West Music New Zealand

Features: 2002. Made in Korea. I believe it has an oak neck and mahogany body. This guitar is the best Gibson Les Paul Copy for the price that I have ever seen, and for $599NZD, I bought it straight away. The guitar is a veery accurate replica and features a set neck, not a bolt-on like cheaper replicas which was a big selling point for me. The guitar features a nice black gloss finish with off-white binding. The guitar is also available in white. Features gold hardware which I wasn't keen on, I'd much prefer silver. I am unsure what brand the factory humbuckers are but they are fine. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of Tool, Deftones, etc. and for that, this guitar is great. The guitar is versitile enough to play a wide range of styles also. I run it through a Laney LX120 head and Laney 4X12 cab. I do get quite a lot of feedback, but that's probably due to all the effects I am running it through, not the guitar itself. I am considering upgrading the stock pickups to Seymour Duncan JBs to enhance the quality of the tone. I am happy enough with the guitar to upgrade the pickups rather than buying a whole new guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the box the guitar was setup fine. Over the years I have fine tuned the action and pickups to my personal preference. The overl quality of finish of the guitar is excellet, no imperfections. The only marks on it have been caused by my belt buckle rubbing on the back of it and the hole left from where I removed the scratch plate. The only negative comments I have are that the hardware and pickup covers are starting to oxidize or loose the gold colouring, which I don't mind, but yeah, that's been over a period of 6 or so years, so can't really complain. Also the strap button screw came out so I had to fit a larger screw in there. The G tuning peg was a very slightly loose as well but that's simple to tighten, and again that only happened after 6 or so years of playing. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Never had any problems with reliability, electronics, input and everything have ever given me problems. I haven't done a lot of Live playing but I am confident it would be up to the task. Hardware is durable and reliable. As mentioned before, I changed the screw on one of the strap buttons and use a strap with strap locks. I'd say you'd be I'll prepared not to have a backup at a gig. I do use a ESP with CGCFAD tuning, but if I was to have a backup for the Karina, I would simpy buy another one, maybe in white, IF I had the money. The finish has lasted over 6 years of frequent playing apart from the belt buckle scratches (which actually happened during one session, due to a new belt). // 9

Overall Impression: For the style of music I play, this guitar is well matched. It is versatile and looks great. I much prefer the shape to something like a Stratocaster, which I think look common and boring. I have been playing for almost 15 years now. If I could afford the real thing (a Gibson Les Paul) I would buy it, but for now the Karina suits me just fine. In the mean time I am looking at upgrading the Pickups to seymour Duncans, as I am confident with the construction and quality of the guitar overall. // 9

Les Paul Copy Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 01, 2010

Price paid: A$ 260

Purchased from: Private sale NZ

Features: I believe this made was around 04, made in China.This Les Paul Karina copy is the Black satin finish model with off white trim and gold fixtures. Single cut shape 2 Volume controls 2 tone controls 3 way toggle switch Humbucker pickups 22 frets Set neck Tune-o-matic bridge While I payed $260NZ dollars for it second hand (as new condition) they still retail for $599 new in New Zealand. // 9

Sound: While I am a Squier and Strat copy guitar user most of my adult life, the sound on this Karina Les Paul Copy blew me away..I am now a convert and while strats and Strat copies will always be near and dear to me, this style and sound of guitar is my choice for the near forseeable future. Running through a Vox VT new series effects amp this guitar sounds incredible even compared to my Standard series strat. The Squier strats are now sold and this will be the weapon of choice for me! (for now at least). When it comes to sound I'm very picky and I need the right tone or frustration sets in, this appeases my appetite just right. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action and feel of this instrument took me about an hour to become accustomed too. The neck and fret board feel are just so tight and the closest setup for top end work I ever used to date. Finger work is made easy with the beautiful setup this fixed neck setup brings. The Pick guard and dial area suit me just right, while the body finish and look and feel are just delighful, both to play and behold. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had it long enough to really comment on the reliability yet but if the solid look and feel, so long as I treat it with the attention it deserves, I feel confident it will stand the test of time. The pick ups are clear enough for me while the total purist might wish to upgrade at some point, I don't feel the need as yet. So far after my initial setup and tweaks it looks and feels like a reliable and durable extention of my mind and fingers. // 9

Overall Impression: I have given across the board 9 ratings for this guitar. It just for the money feels and does what it should with out fuss. Its a great look for a copy and plays just fine for my style which is bit of everything, (hendrix, blues, rock, hard metal) yes I can even pull off some Hendrix with the Rhythm select no problems. With the VT Vox amp just about any sound is possible with this marriage. I would consider getting another if this went missing definatly yes. I just love the action and the overall sound on this guitar I don't think I have ever felt this way about any other guitar I have owned before. Summed up! Just awesome. // 9

Comments