KELP Review

manufacturer: Kona date: 03/12/2004 category: Electric Guitars
Kona: KELP
Raw, unadulterated grit is what you'll get from the Two Chrome Covered Humbucker Pickups installed in every KELP Series Guitar. Trying to produce a tone that sustains for ages is made easy by the Neck-Through Design and construction.
 9.2
 6.8
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
KELP Reviewed by: AK Guitarist, on march 12, 2004

Features: 2004 Kona KELP Les Paul Copy made in USA. All chrome hardware, 24.75" scale, set neck, 22 frets, Rosewood fretboard, 2 chrome covered humbuckers, 3 way Switch, 2 volume 500K pots, 2 tone 500K pots, Tune-O-Matic style bridge. Comes in solid black or red sunburst finish. // 10

Sound: I play mostly 70's rock and 80's metal, and this guitar will cover everything from modern rock to blues to all out headbangin' nu-metal. I am playing it mostly through a Peavey Standard 260 half stack with an Avatar 2-12" cab with Boss MT-2 Metal Zone and Morley Pro Series Wah pedal. The pickups are fairly quiet, nothing excessive. The pickups are kinda muddy when heavily distorted, but sound decent clean (Can get mad Three Doors Down sound when played clean). I did, however, changed out the stock pickups for a Bill Lawrence L-500 and a PRS Dragon. Overall it sounds very good for the money. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly right out of the box with the exception of the pickups. The action is low and the frets are smooth with the exception of a small spot on the 18th fret on the high e, but it doesn't really pose much of a problem. Its not the prettiest guitar up close, but it doesn't have any major flaws (Has some minor finish scratches, but what do you expect from a $230 guitar?). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I do not have a band, but this guitar is built like a tank! I would feel confident gigging with it without a backup. I have only had this guitar for about a month, but I do think the finish will wear in time (Again, this is a $230 guitar). // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for classic rock and metal. I have been playing for about year and a half. Right now I also have a Fender Fat-Strat Standard and a Kona K1 Electric-Acoustic and this is by far my favorite to play out of the three. I absolutely love the fat neck. Its a little thicker than that of a real Les Paul, but thats just what I like. If this guitar were lost or stolen, I probably wouldn't buy another. I'd save up and get either an Epiphone Les Paul Elite or lower end Gibson Les Paul. This is a very good guitar for beginners and people on a budget. No frills, just pure rock. // 10

More Kona reviews rating category latest review
+ KE2SB 8.1 Acoustic Guitars 12/10/2014