1984 Custom Reissue Review

manufacturer: Kramer date: 10/13/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Kramer: 1984 Custom Reissue
It's a reissue of the custom Kramer guitar used by Eddie Van Halen during his "1984" World Tour with Van Halen.
 7.9
review (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
1984 Custom Reissue Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 13, 2005

Features: My black and red bullseye 1984 Custom was made in 2005 and assembled in the USA. 25.5" scale and it has 23 frets. It has a solid top and a adler body. The neck is a one piece maple neck with a maple skunk stripe down the back of the neck. The neck finish is a light oil finish and it feels nice n smooth. The neck is awesome and it fits perfectly in your hand. The 1984 has a Baretta body style (which is somewhat simialar to a Strat body) and it has an awesome looking bannana headstock. It has an original floyd rose bridge with floyd's signitature double locking tremelo system. The thing won't go out of tune, no matter how hard you dive with the whammy bar, it's amazing. The only control knob you get is a volume knob and honestly, that's all you need for the one pickup the guitar has. The pickup is a custom wound Gibson 84t (Wire Gauge: 44 AWB Turns: 6800 Magnet: Alnico-V Resistance @ DC = 16.34 Kohms Resonant Freq. = 5.2 Kohms Inductance @ 1KHz = 8.3H) and it's directly mounted to the body just like EVH's. The tuners are Schaller's and they lock with the Schaller Neck through Nut. The guitar comes with a gorgeous Kramer TKL case, allen wrenches mounted on the back of the neck and Schaller strap locks. // 10

Sound: This guitar fits my musical style perfectly. I mainly play '80s metal and hard rock (Guns N' Roses, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne etc) and a little Velvet Revolver and some '70s arena rock thrown in there too. I run my guitar through a Boss OS-2 overdrive/distortion pedal and an MXR EVH Phase 90 and then to a Marshall MG15DFX 15 watt amp. This guitar is only noisy with my amp's gain all the way up, when I'm using the pedal and not the amps gain there is no buzz at all. It has a rich full sound thanks to the hot humbucker and you can get plenty of sounds out of it with the floyd. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action, straight from the factory, was perfect. just where I like it. The pickup was mounted perfectly too. No flaws at all. This guitar was perfect when I got it and still is. The only thing I needed to do when I got it was tune up and attach the floyd. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitly withstnad live playing. It's made for it. The hardware definitly seems built to last. The only issue I can think of here is that the lightly oiled maple neck will probably get hit with sweat after alot of playing but I haven't had a problem with it yet. The strap buttons are solid, you could probably throw the guitar over your shoulder and it wouldn't come off the strap locks (although I am reluctant to try it) this is definitly a dependible guitar and the only reason I'd have a back up was in case a string broke. The finish is amazing and I doubt it would wear off even with the most extreme playing. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said above I play '80s metal/hard rock and '70s arena rock. It's a perfect match for what I play. It seems made for it. I've been playing for around a year and besides the effects and amp I talked about above I own a 2004 Hamer Slammer XP-1 Standard. That guitar has nothing on my '84. If it were lost or stolen, I'd freak out. Then I'd go on a rampage until I got it back. I compared this guitar with Jackson Dinky's and the Charvel EVH art series and I chose this one because it seemed alot better made then the Jacksons I tried and because it played exactly like the Charvel for around $500 less. Plus it looks alot cooler too. This guitar is perfect and the only thing I wish it came with would be an EVH D-Tuna which I'm going to buy later. It's an amazing guitar, you won't regret it! // 10

More Kramer reviews rating category latest review
+ Nite V FR 8.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014