Baretta Review

manufacturer: Kramer date: 08/26/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Kramer: Baretta
One of the most, if not the most sought after Kramer, the Baretta is probably one of the most underrated guitars that influenced rock history.
 9.2
 8.3
reviews (2) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Baretta Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 14, 2005

Features: - USA original, 1986 - 24 frets - Laminated, Gibson Hi-Laq finish, laminated headstock - Main body: basswood - Neck: maple - Body stile: modelled on the EVH Kramer 1984 - Bridge: original floyd rose - Passive electrics, 1 volume control, single humbucker at bridge - Locking tuners. // 10

Sound: This is a great guitar for any form of hair metal. This type of guitar was mostly known as been used by Edward Van Halen but was also used by Mick Mars of Motley Crue and also by Hanoi Rocks, to name a few. It's best ran through a Peavey 5150 MKII but your lucky to get your hands on one now that they've ceased manufacture. For its age, the guitar plays amazingly well. The pickup was removed and dipped in parrafin wax so all white noise has disappeared. This guitar has the best harmoniic range I've felt with only a +/- 2 fret blank on harmonics at either end of the board. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As it was customised for the original Floyd Rose, the set up on this guitar is unbeatable. The action is low and fast with no blanks on frets. The first models in 1983 had a habit of being warped but this guitar is perfectly flush. I recently had all the hardawre conditioned and the springs replaced so its flawless. It is known that some of the newer Kramer re-issues have had problems with warping so I would advise you to not buy from unauthorised Kramer dealers on the net and check the insides of the axe before buying a used one. If the loop attaching the spring to the trem is worn. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliability was a prime factor in the design of this guitar, after all, it had to survive the Van Halen world tours, not to mention the antics of Motley Crue! I put all my trust in this guitar as it will never fail in its current condition. The guitar is solid, the finish has lasted without any major blistering and all the electronics are original. // 10

Overall Impression: Lets face it, it's a Kramer. In the early '80s, Gibson bought over a small company in central America known as the Kramer corporation. The intention was to manufacture a guitar that would appeal to the musicians of the day, satisfy a heavy metal market. This guitar still does so today, influincing the designs of many punk bands guitars. The guitars are still favoured among session men, I should know! If you have an older Kramer in your house anywhere, dig it out and check the trem. If your guitar has an original floyd rose on it, your holding a gem! I would strongly reccomend this type of guitar to anyone who sees guitar beyond down-stroking and power chords and don't require something particularly mellow like a Strat. Consider buying? Make sure you buy the right one for youand don't fall for post 1991 copies! // 10

Baretta Reviewed by: r3r3r3, on august 26, 2008

Features: This guitar was made, I belive, in 2000. There's not so much information in the web. When I purchased it I never focused on it. It's made in USA. It has 22 standard frets. I don't know much about this guitar. It's a very strange one. It's form is like those RG from Ibanez. I had an identical one with Floyd Rose, but this one now hasn't Floyd Rose, but acts as a Floyd Rose. This is one reason why this guitar is very odd. I've carried my guitar to dealers, specialists and no one could give me information about it. Another thing is that is just one piece. No arm separate. Arm and body are one piece. White by the way. It has passive and active electronics. Volume and tone, pick up selector in 3 way position, 2 EMG humpbucker pickups, goth tunners with skull form that looks so cool. One piece, skull tunners, EMG pickups, active electronics, 3 way pick up selector and a strange tremolo that it's not a Floyd Rose but it works as a Floyd Rose without locking tremolo and no locks in the arm and finally the tunners are upside down and so the arm. Like a left-handed guitar, but it's not left-handed. Strange!. It came with a solid hard case in a beautiful shape black color outside and inside, allen keys for octaving and a little towel with a label: Gibson. As far as I know, Kramer is made or was bought by Gibson. I'm in love with her too just like my RG270 Ibanez. // 10

Sound: It suits perfectly to my styles. I'm a heavy metal guitarrist and this guitar is for playong loud. I use a Zoom 3000 and the Metal effect that I always use plus the active electronics gives my amps and ears the coolest sound I ever heard. I use a Peavey KB-300 and a lanev hardocre HCM 120R. It has no noise, quiet the contrary. Full power! rich, bright and full sound. Perfect for any good guitarrist. I can use all the sounds I want. Many many variations. In one word: Perfection! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, from factory the pickup selector doesn't respond. I switch between the 3 positions and I belive there's a little short circuit. Until now. It has the same problem and I had to deal with it because I'm affraid to open it and fix it. I tried once but there are zillions of cables and circuits. I belive it's a very complete guitar judgeing it by all the cables and connectors. I only use the bridge pickup in this guitar so I don't have to fight her in switching it. Sometimes in works, sometimes not. It's a malfunction that soon I'll fix it with an electronic guy maybe. Everything was very well adjusted. Like it has to be. New! No rust, no punches, all in one piece. Those Kramer peolpe have great quality standards except for this tiny problem with the pickup selector. But, despite this problem, I love it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been with me all the time when I play live and in reharsals. The hardware seems it will resist an atomic bomb. Perfect. The buttons are all right and I can depend on it. All my guitars are good ones and I don't have bad guitars. Just quality. I don't think I'll need a backup guitar for gigs. The belt it has for carrying it's designed to last forever. And I've never had a problem except that for one mistake I dropped to the floor. It was an accident and part of the white color fell down:S Maybe I'll repair it because oh god how bad it hurted when that happened. // 10

Overall Impression: It fits all my music, I've been playing for 14 years I belive. I jave an Ibanez RG270 and a electroacustic Crafter blue-green talking about guitars. I wish it had a Floyd Rose tremolo. As I said before I had one with Floyd Rose but it was stolen! I purchased another one. Identical model, identical color but with no Floyd Rose, but, as I said before too, it acts and works as a Floyd Rose without problems. Maybe my friends from ultimate-guitar could help me knowing about this guitar becaus dealers, experts, friends, even the main people form Gibson-Kramer (Kramer has a database of all their guitars) and I sent photos, my serial number, etc and no answer. It's a very very odd guitar in all the ways and aspects. Please help me friends from ultimate-guitar. Or some user that knows about guitars. // 10

More Kramer reviews rating category latest review
+ Nite V FR 8.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014