Focus Classic I Review

manufacturer: Kramer date: 03/28/2006 category: Electric Guitars
The Classic I took over where the early Focus 4000 left off. It had 3 singles on a pickguard with a Strat shaped body. It also sported the Classic style head and a floyd rose.
 5.3
 7.6
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Focus Classic I Reviewed by: BasketCaseGVD, on march 28, 2006

Features: My dad gave me this guitar a few years ago, made in 1990. 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard with thinner frets, Strat body with a laminated top. The tuners are no-name factory brand, and they hold the tuning fairly well, but I still have to tune every day. The Tune-O-Matic bridge gets that fine tune. There are 3 single coil pickups with a 5-way selector Switch. Pretty much Standard Strat configuration. // 9

Sound: This guitar was made for heavy rock. It sounds really good distorted, only with the slightest buzzing. I only use a small 15 watt amp and a Boss distortation pedal and it sounds good for punk, metal, and heavy rock. The guitar also sounds good clean, but the bridge pickup is a little twangy and the neck pickup is too deep. The tone knobs make a little difference, just barely noticeable. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is low, just the way I like it, but the low E string is way too low. I tried adjusting it with an Allen wrench but it was still too low. The pickup selector is way too noisy. I have to stop playing if I am going to Switch or the static will stay after I change pickups. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has suffered a lot of abuse and hasn't given in yet. The pickups are secure still and the strap buttons haven't budged. Besides the cord jack, this guitar is really reliable. It's lasted in the hands of 3 different people and still is in good condition. // 9

Overall Impression: I play most styles of rock, mostly heavier forms, and this is a good guitar. I started playing on this guitar in 1999, and it's lasted me since. It could use a humbucker pickup though to cancel out the buzz. I wouldn't buy it again, but I would be said if it were lost. // 7

More Kramer reviews rating category latest review
+ Nite V FR 8.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014