FT211S Review

manufacturer: Kramer date: 11/15/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Kramer: FT211S
Maple Neck, Laminated Alder/Nato Body, 5-Way Pickup Selector, One Master Volume, One Tone Control, 22 Nickel/Steel Frets, Rosewood Fingerboard.
 6.1
 6.2
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
FT211S Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 07, 2003

Purchased from: www.musicyo.com

Features: Neck: Maple Neck Profile: Slim-Taper Construction: Bolt-On Body: Laminated Alder/Nato Neck Pickup: Single Coil Middle Pickup: Single Coil Bridge Pickup: Open Coil Humbucker Controls: 5-Way Pickup Selector One Master Volume One Tone Control Bridge: 2 Point Floating Fulcrum Tremolo (I HATE THIS BRIDGE) Machine Heads: Die Cast Nut: PVC Nut Width: 1.68" Frets: 22 - Nickel/Steel Headstock: Non-Reverse, Traditional Kramer (Bannana Looking) Fingerboard: 22 fret, Rosewood F/B Radius: 14" Scale Length: 25.5" F/B Inlay: PVC Dots Finishes: Lake Placid Blue NOTE: The site calls it "Lake Placid Blue" but it is actually Metallic Blue. I don't know why. // 8

Sound: This guitar is basically made for rocking out. The bridge humbucker gives ample crunch - especially considering the price of the guitar. However, the single coil pickups are reather noisy. Because of some floppy pieced in the bridge, the strings have a tendency to buzz alot, not from the fretboard, but from the bridge. This is a noise that you can hear when using a clean channel to an amp, but when you're running distortion you can't notice it. Rather bland sounding, overall. Better lows than highs, and the mids are on the fence. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Okay, here is where I got very mad about this guitar - someone at the factory really screwed up. First of all, there were about three spots on the painted back opf the neck that were blotchy. The two-point floating fulcrum bridge - a bridge that I will never play again. It was held in by only two tension springs. So, whenever you tried to tune to standard, the bridge would raise off the guitar body about half an inch. Obviously, this made it impossible to tune. So, I had to put another spring in. But when I took the back plate off to do this, I noticed that the thing that the springs attatched to was BARLEY screwed into the body. This could have been a decent axe if they had put it together right. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I've had to work on just about everything but the pickups. The finish will not last long - I can already tell that for some reason the finish was originally metallic red, instead of blue. The strap button came off while playing after about 6 months of use, so I had to make it a new hole. The part where the chord goes in fell apart once. I've only owned this guitar for a YEAR. This guitar just didn't like me. // 4

Overall Impression: Okay. All of my friends bought the 70-90 dollar focus guitars off musicyo.com - and they played INCREDIBLY well for the price - in fact, they played as well as any mexi Strat. So, I figured i'd get the $100 Pacer and outdo them all (this guitar now sells for $130 off the site). Didn't is humble me when I got this guitar in and all of those Focus guitars BLEW it out of the water! I sold it for the same price I paid, and used that money to buy the cheaper Focus, which I am MUCH more happy with. // 4

FT211S Reviewed by: jeffo46, on november 15, 2010

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Mine was made in either 2009 or 2010 in Indonesia, that Guitar building capitol of the world. It has a Alder/Nato body with a Maple neck and a Rosewood Fretboard along with 22 frets. The finish on mine seems to be some kind of Laminate and is in a stikingly beautiful Red finish. It has a 5 way pup Switch with a 2 point bridge. Somebody said that the pickups on this are from Epiphone, and seeing that Kramer is now owned by Gibson, I wouldn't be surprised. They are a SSH configuration. It also has a single Volume and Tone control and comes with a whammy bar and several hex keys for the bridge, headstock, and the bridge saddles. // 8

Sound: I'm not sure about the single coils on this, but the bridge humbucker sounds just like the ones that are on the Epiphone LP Jrs. These pups are very loud and bright, so you do have to lower them just to get a good tone from them or else they'll sound very muddy. I'm still experimenting with getting a good clean tone with this on my Crate GX-65, but with my Gain channel, this guitar is a monster. These pups have some serious sustain and are perfect for 80's Metal and Classic Rock. You just have to work with your amp settings or get a effects processor. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I had to spend almost 2 hours setting this up to my personal specs, in order to get this to be playable. The action was very high off the neck and the bridge saddles were misaligned along with the intonation. It seems that this was assembled very quickly and just shoved into the box until it could be shipped out. At least there are no fret edges sticking out or no fret buzz on the neck. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I am going to change the volume and tone pots on this guitar for some USA made ones and also will be putting in a Orange Capacitor cap as well. That should improve the tone and save me some money on pickups. Once I do that, I'm pretty sure this could be used at a gig without a backup, seeing that I already gave it a full setup. I take care of my equipment and am not in the habit of going around and smashing gear, so there's no reason why this shouldn't last. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 37 years and play mostly Classic Rock and 80's Metal and if this was stolen, I wouldn't bother getting another one. This is one of those guitars that IMO, you can use as a modder. It's not one that you can just take out of the box and play right away. You do have to do a full setup and intonation along with a truss rod, bridge saddle, and pickup height adjustment in order to get this instrument to be fully playable. Once you do that though, it is worth the 99 dollar price, but it will take some time to do so. // 7

More Kramer reviews rating category latest review
+ Pacer Custom 1 9 Electric Guitars 04/17/2014