KS-400 Review

4.2
review (1) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
KS-400 Reviewed by: wafflecrisp, on may 05, 2010

Purchased from: CS Gun&Pawn

Features: The Kramer KS-400. A vintage, Indonesian made, Kramer, Strat style, masterpiece at a low price. This guitar was made in the late 80's thru the early 90's. In your average market such as classified ads and online auctions, this guitar is underrated. The KS-400 has 21 frets, and has a very comfortable eighties Strat type feel to the neck, and a rosewood fretboard. It is a laminate body but, if kept in the right conditions, you will have no problems. The KS-400 also has a very durable sunburst finish. The bridge on this model is a high-quality Strat style tremolo. It has your average passive pickups in the Standard Strat configuration with a 5-way Switch and volume-tone-tone knob configuration. The tuners are non-locking, and I honestly have no idea what brand they are. They are the one piece of hardware on this guitar that I don't like because the knobs are plastic and kind of cheap, but they do stay in tune. // 8

Sound: The KS-400 suits me very well, playing mostly a classic rock style with it's Vintage sound. The majority of the time I run this guitar thru a Vintage Crate 10inch amp with high gain and a DOD Blues Overdrive Pedal. I isn't very noisy in the first place but after shielding the control cavity, it will be almost completely silent. For most of the time that I've had this guitar It has had the original S/S/S pickup conficuration, but recently I've changed to a S/S/H. This has greatly increased my tonal range and has given me much greater sustain. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I got this guitar used, I have no idea how it was set up from the factory and, since this model isn't made anymore none of you will be buying it new either. But, as far as I can tell, there are no major cosmetic flaws or hardware flaws besides the plastic knobs on the tuning machines. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Personally, I would trust this guitar to play anywhere, anytime... with straplocks. They are not bad strap buttons but they are just normal and we all know that the leather on the end of a new strap softens up, eventually sending your guitar to the floor if yiou move very much. I would totally us this guitar on any gig without a backup and the finish will last a lifetime if taken care of. // 8

Overall Impression: Playing mostly classic rock, this is a great guitar. If this guitar was somehow stolen or lost, I would buy it back as soon as possible. Really this guitar is good for all around playing although you shredders might not like the looks all that much. Some would call me an ameteur because I have been playing only three years, I do still have a lot to learn but we all do. I am an ameteur luthier also, having built three guitars in my two and a half years of lutherie but I've learned to look for quality and in the Kramer KS-400 it can be found. All of my seven guitars are customs in one way or another, I own two bass's(review to come), an acoustic(review to come), a Fender BXR bass amp (review to come), and a Vintage Crate guitar amp (also review to come). // 9

More Kramer reviews rating category latest review
+ Nite V FR 8.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014