Pacer Classic Review

manufacturer: Kramer date: 04/24/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Kramer: Pacer Classic
The guitar can make really good sounds and this is taken even further with the Floyd Rose enabling you to do dive bombs and flutters.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 Features: 8.7
 8.2
 9.1
 7.3
reviews (3) pictures (2) 26 comments vote for this gear:
Pacer Classic Reviewed by: RockGuitarist09, on june 18, 2010

Purchased from: Guitarguitar.co.uk

Features: It was made in 2009 in Indonesia. It has 22 frets on a maple neck and fretboard with black Dot inlays. I'm pretty sure the body is made of mahogany and features a Pearl white finish, which is also available in Candy Red. This is a pacer body which is like a Strat body with slight differences and features two humbuckers instead of single coils like your average strat. The bridge is a Kramer licensed floyd rose, which is actually very good. I have been using this trem as I would user any other trem and it seems very good. People have been complaining that it is not an original Floyd Rose the RRP I think on OFR's is 210 by themselves. This however is a very good trem. The pickups are passive and I think they are the pickup that Satchel from steel panther uses in his kramer. Their are 2 volume knobs and 1 tone knobs. Their is also a 3-way switch. The pickups are H-H. And they are stock pickups from Kramer made in Nashville USA. Although I am not allowed to turn my amp up in the house these pickups seem a bit weak and some might want to replace them, I'm happy with them though. I think the tuners are just stock tuners and are non-locking as the nut is a locking-nut. With this guitar I got the allen keys for the trem and other stuff and I also got some cables. // 9

Sound: This suits my style of music perfect and is very poplular among my favourite artists (Satchel, Van Halen). I play mainly 80's metal including motley crue, GNR, Van Halen etc and also a bit of blues. I use this guitar through my halfstack consisting of a Laney TF700 head and a Marshal 8412 cab and my impression of this is very good. The guitar can make really good sounds and this is taken even further with the Floyd Rose enabling you to do dive bombs and flutters (which it is very good for by the way, a lot better than my Ibanez for this). However the pickups are slightly too weak. But I think they will be good for me for a while. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived very well set up and only the low e-string was slightly out of tune, which was soon put right. The pickups and bridge were properly routed. Their is not much wrong with the guitar to be fair. When I first get guitars I am usually very critical and I had very high expectations for this guitar, which it has met. The only thing I could find wrong with this is that they accidently filed away some of the wood next to the frets, which has no effect on playing, sound or feel. I only noticed this when I was looking very closely at the guitar for any flaws. The finish is very nice and has nice sparkle to it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems like it will withstand playing live. I have a gig coming up and I am using this guitar. The hardware seems like it will last the only thing I'd worry about is the licensed floyd rose, however this seems very good at the moment. The strap buttons are solid and I can depend on this guitar. The only way I would need a backup at a gig is if I thought one of my strings might snap. As putting a string on a trem bridge as we all know can be very annoying. The finish seems like it should last unlike my last guitar a Ibanez RG370DX in rubber red, which came off within the first half an hour. // 9

Overall Impression: I play as mentioned before 80's Glam/Hair metal and sometimes blues and this is a brilliant match. This guitar mind me of a much cheaper Charvel. I have been playing around 4/5 years now so have quite a bit of experience and knowledge of guitars. I own guitar wise a PRS Tremonti SE a Epiphone Les Paul Ultra and a Ibanez RG370DXRRD. I actually felt very strongly about getting this guitar. I couldn't try before I buy however you can add Kramer Guitars as a friend on facebook so I felt very confident about buying this guitar and have no regrets. If this guitar was stolen or lost or even broken I would definetely buy this guitar again with the same finish. I love just about everything about this guitar and have nothing to hate about it. My favourite feature is probably how great it feels in your hands. I did not compare this guitar to any other product. I chose this guitar because one of my favourite guitarists satchel uses this brand and model of guitar and so did Van Halen in the 80's. I wish this guitar had some better pickups maybe Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios. And an Original Floyd Rose for maybe 500/600. I will be buying an EVH D-tuna to put on this guitar to further its abilities. // 10

Pacer Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 02, 2012

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: It's a 2011 Pacer Classic. Not sure where it was made, for the price I paid probably not in the USA. 22 frets with a 25.5" scale. The body is mahogany and the neck/fretboard are both maple. Mine is in the "Candy Apple Red" finish. It comes with a Floyd Rose bridge and a locking nut and keeps in tune quite well for my needs (mostly 'Satch Screams' and vibrato on chords.) I did however divebomb around just for the sake of this review and it holds up well. It comes with 2 stock humbuckers which I wasn't too fond of (the sound lacked thickness) and later replaced with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge and a SD '59 in the neck. The tuners are nice and responsive but don't really matter too much since it's the locking nut that keeps it in tune. The guitar came with most of the stuff needed to work with a Floyd Rose bridge (which I already had). // 7

Sound: This guitar suits my style of music very well now that I've had the pickups changed. I play a lot of Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Joe Satriani, GnR, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits so this guitar has a large variety of sounds(especially since I coil tapped it). I run it through a Fender Limited Edition '65 Deluxe Reverb amp. My effects are pretty much standard stuff except for a Keeley modded Boss-DS1 which I use when I really need a killer Van Halen-esque lead sound. It's worth mentioning that while the stock pickups weren't fantastic they were OK to play with. I'll write what I remember of the stock pups. The guitar had a nice bright and crisp sound (maple fretboards will do that) and sounded good overdriven. However, when it was distorted it began to sound weak and muddy and generally lacked that "beefy" quality that I want from all my guitars. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar came with decent action. It was out of tune when I got it but that's never a problem. I sent it in for a setup which I do with all my guitars and now it plays fine. Guitar doesn't have any flaws. Finish is holding up well except for where I anchor my picking hand's pinky finger. I like that though, shows the guitar is played often. No complaints with this section. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing. Already has for me. Taken a fall or two without any damage. Solid strap buttons, I suggest strap locks but that's just a personal preference. I wouldn't gig with any Floyd Rose equipped guitar without a backup and anyway my band's setlist is so varied I couldn't go one gig with just one guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't play any one particular style of music but this is generally a versatile guitar. I've been playing for 14 years now, played everything from BB King to Malmsteen. I own 10 other electric guitars (LP Standard, Fender US Strat, Fender Malmsteen signature, Ibanez JS 1000, 4 heavily modded Epiphone Dots Gibson SG and my favourite, a Gretsch White Penguin) so I've got a lot to compare against. The Kramer holds up really well against other far more expensive guitarists. This guitar with about $200 of modding is vastly superior to most Ibanez/Dean/Charvel/BC Rich/ESP (owned them all in my metalhead days) guitars in the $1000-1500 range (My JS is an exception). I highly recommend this guitar to any intermediate player who is looking for a step up from their starter guitars. If mine were lost I wouldn't buy another but only because I have plenty of other guitars lying about. // 9

Pacer Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 24, 2012

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Features: Indonesia is were this brilliant guitar was made. Has all the goodies as a 1983 Pacer had and more. The tremolo is fantastic no problems at all love the medium jumbo frets with a perfect mahogany body. The tuners are Gotoh style with a 14:1 gear ratio. Electronics are professional quality. Simply a Brilliant Guitar! // 10

Sound: The sound is full and rich and very versatile one of the most versatile guitars out there today of any kind. I'm using two JCM 800 Marshall half stacks and a Boss ME-50 and ME-70 like I said the sound is full and rich and very versatile. Very professional sounding guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything is booked matched. the finish is flawless. top professional quality Hardware and craftsmanship. the maple neck is very fast and smooth. and the action set up was perfect rite out of the box. all i did was change the strings. Kramer is coming back in a huge way! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Perfect for live stage and recording. I would most certainly use with out back up. Hardware is most certainly professional quality as is the finish! This guitar is very solid and will out last me. Strap buttons are also very solid. there isn't a live show out there that this guitar couldn't handle and that's a fact! // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic hard rock and blues and some jazz this model does it all. The luthiers in Indonesia and china have become some of the very best guitar makers in the world. they most certainly match anything and even pass anything the USA puts out today. my hat is off to them. the quality and craftsmanship are simply top professional. I would most certainly buy another guitar from Indonesia that's how great they are! // 10

More Kramer reviews rating category latest review
+ Nite V FR 8.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014