SM-1 Seymour Duncan Review

manufacturer: Kramer date: 03/30/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Kramer: SM-1 Seymour Duncan
Soundwise, the tones outta this guitar is very versatile, you can virtually do ANYTHING with it! If you like versatility, this is simply the one to get.
 Features: 9.5
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
SM-1 Seymour Duncan Reviewed by: sirjoseph, on march 30, 2015

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: 2014

Features: I bought it as new from Thomann (Germany). MIK. 25,5" scale superstrat. Mahogany body, with arched top + ivory-white finish so called: vintage white. Some photos are faded to white over the net, what may be confusing. Mahogany 3pc thru neck, wide fat profile, ebony fretboard. Original, but Korean made FR1000 Floyd. SD Alternative 8 + 2x SD Cool Rails SCR-1 pups. Cool electronics: not just the coiltap switch, but the push-pull volume to combine the neck and bridge pups in whatever position. It's hard to figure about all the variations - so I write it down:

// 10

Sound: Due to the all mahogany body+neck you may think what you'll get.  Yes its a bit dark, very thick/fatty with nice sustain. With the well chosen pickups I can get the coolest strat sounds (single mode) up to the heavy LP character. It's not a paid advertisement, it really knows everything. In most cases the neck pickup gives soooo deeeep sounds that I always mix it with the middle pup, to get more midrange.  After all I owned 50-60 guitars - all used stuff - it was the FIRST new guitar in my life and blind ordered. I'll never regret it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up well, when arrived. I put a drop of fat onto the knives. Dropped the factory 10-46 strings and put on my own 10-46 set. A few months later I set the truss rod once and that's it. The craftsmanship is 10/10. The finish is 10/9. Some very-very small flaws can be seen. The only "problem" with this full metal look axe is the tick neck profile. But keep in mind this neck holds well, not bends easily than other mahogany necks on the market. Also the smoothest access to the highest frets are a real pleasure. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Since one year this is my main guitar and never left me in trouble. Stays in tune. Seems to very durable. Yes I used/use it on gigs without backup. I immediately swapped the factory strap buttons to locking, so I cannot say much about the originals. The neck holds well, you don't have to set the truss rod in each season. The finish is thin layer simple acryl, seems to strong enough. I may listen to this guitar with nitro finish. Ten more years and I will tell how long the hardware would last. :) // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar since 20+ years. I mainly play melodic rock, melodic metal, sometimes blues, alt. I honestly say that I can compare it to my Japan made Charvel/Jackson superstrats. The Korean "World Music Factory" is a good name on the marked. It's not by chanche they produce the SE series for PRS. Ah yes: and it's very long! Choose your bag with care! Factory fretting are awesome. The whole guitar is far better than usual '90s Korean guitars. Its a different level. However I not suggest to buy it blindly, because the materials may varies. // 10

SM-1 Seymour Duncan Reviewed by: gerrygtr62, on june 21, 2012

Purchased from: zZounds

Features: Let's see: - 2012 model, MIK - 24 frets, a little chunky somewhat, but still fast! - Solid mahogany contruction with Ebony Fretboard - Finished in Vintage whie - SuperStrat Style - Original Floyd Rose Tremolo - Seymour Duncan Alternative 5 humbucker, augmented by a pair of Duncan Hot/Cool Rails [not too sure, I think it's Cool Rails] - Controls: Volume, Tone, Coil Tap, pull-up humbucker mode bypasses all pick-up combinations - Not sure what kinda tuners, locked in by the Floyd Rose locking nut - Only accesories: Allend Wrenches, including behind the headstock and a cheapo cable, LOL! // 9

Sound: Soundwise, the tones outta this guitar is very versatile, you can virtually do ANYTHING with it! It sounds great through my Blackstar HT20, haven't tried it out with my HT40 and Furman pedal board - it sound sound rippin'! Pretty quiet - of course, in single coil mode, there's a tad bit 60-cycle humming, but still, it sounds wonderful, just like my Fender Strats I used to own! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Right out of the box, the guitar was well set-up and in-tune, just did some tweaking with bridge height and pick-up heights [raising the humbucker and lowering middle pick-up]. Carved top look great, routing on the Floyd was neat. No major flaws, maybe on the middle pick-up cavity for black paint shielding, but other than that, it was well-made. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I believe it will withstand live playing, I'm very confident in this guitar. The hardware overall is top-notch! Stap buttons are sturdy, thank goodness. You betcha I can depend on this sweet thing, LOL! Finish looks great, it can withstand and hold-up. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock/metal/hard rock/alternative/pop country/R&B/Jazz Fusion. Been playing well over 35 yrs. If it were stolen, you bet I'd get another one immediately! I love the guitar overall, despite the chunky neck - I'm sure once I switch out the strings to .09, it's gonna kill-n-shred! This compares favorably to the Jacksons I used to own [USA Soloist, MIJ Soloist Archtop, SLSMG, a trio of Dinkys plus Charvel Model 6 and Charvel Strat]. IF you like versatility, this is simply the one to get - I've always wanted the USA StageMaster, this is the best thing yet, MIK quality compares favorable to the LTDs I've owned [H-300, EC-1000, MH-400, MH-250]. GO GET ONE, Kramer has hit one outta the ballpark! // 10

More Kramer reviews rating category latest review
+ Focus 6000 8 Electric Guitars 06/02/2015