Striker 400ST Review

manufacturer: Kramer date: 07/14/2008 category: Electric Guitars
The 400ST being the Randy Rhoads type body (same as the Focus 4000) with 2 humbucking pickups, a 3-way toggle, volume, and tone knob.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.5
 6.5
 6.4
 6.6
reviews (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Striker 400ST Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 27, 2005

Features: I bought this with Demarzio pickups already installed, but everything else was stock parts. The features on this guitar were mediocre, but the problem was fixed when I started adding custom parts. The Jackson Rhoades rip-off guitar design is the best feature. // 6

Sound: The sound was actually the best part of the guitar. The Demarzio pickups sounded fantastic, especially when distorted. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I had to re-adjust the action on the bridge, and adjust the pickups a little bit, but all in all, not too bad. It came in a metallic red color, which I changed into a custom jet black finish with a red custom decal. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The reliablity is ridiculously low. The neck construction is very poor with the truss rod acutally at the bottom of the neck where the neck installs into the body, instead of the head making it a pain in the freaking ass to adjust, especially since it's got a floyd rose bridge. The bit used to tighten/loosen the truss rod unscrews easily so you can't loosen your neck at all. I finally had to get a custom neck built since the original one Warped like a freakin' pond ripple. The electronics are s--t too. // 2

Overall Impression: The things I did like were the sound, the look of the guitar, and it was very easy to play. But the poor construction is the killer of this guitar. I can now see why they no longer exist anymore. If you're looking for a project, I'd say go ahead with this one. But if you want to be able to play on a reliable guitar out of the box, don't even take a second glance. // 4

Striker 400ST Reviewed by: Invader Jim, on july 14, 2008

Features: I got this from a friend for $80. It was made in Korea in 1985. It was solid gloss black (on the body as well as the neck). There were two cracks where the headstock meets the neck, which caused horrible tuning and action problems. I drilled a couple holes and glued in some brass pins and that helped alot. I put Bond-O in the neck pocket to draw up the wood, and that fixed the tuning problems almost completely. It came with the stock pickups (Seymour Duncan Turbo Sonics, I think). Standard 3-way switching with 1 volume and 1 tone and those nice knurled chrome dome-style knobs. It has an original Floyd Rose tremolo bridge (before the implementation of those trademark fine tuners, plus it's made in Germany, hell yeah), Grover tuners, a top-adjust truss rod, a locking nut, and a retsiner bar to keep downward pressure on all the strings. Randy Rhodes body style, classic Kramer beak-style headstock. // 8

Sound: I play about anything, and this guitar's stock pickups sound pretty good. The pickups give it a lot of crunch and bite, especially on the bridge pickup setting. It's pretty noisy, though (bad grounding). It got that great '80s hard-rock sound to it, and I love that. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was way too high. I actually had to chisel out about 1/16th" of wood under the bridge. Now it's almost perfect. All the hardware was a little rusty. A little polishng fixed that. Still, it has kick-ass looks. Ratings: 3 before, 7 after. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It had a great paint job, really tough and nearly impossible for me to sand off, but I ended up having to repaint it, thanks to the drilling and chiseling. I would gig with this (as it sounds good and looks great), but would still have a backup just in case. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a pretty good axe (after the restoration). Sure it needed work, but I like an axe with a little wabbi-sabbi, plus I love restoring guitars. It makes a great project guitar. However, if you don't want to do a little work (re-doing the setup, at least), don't even think about it. Tone-chasers probably wouldn't even take the time to throw it away, but I love it. If it were lost or stolen, I'd look for another (since it's Vintage). // 8

More Kramer reviews rating category latest review
+ Nite V FR 8.9 Electric Guitars 08/13/2014