Striker Custom FR424CM Review

manufacturer: Kramer date: 12/10/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Kramer: Striker Custom FR424CM
If you're looking for a hard-rockin' guitar with a little more pizzazz, you've found it! It's the new Striker Custom featuring a highly flamed maple top in gorgeous sunburst colors!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 Features: 9.8
 9.3
 9.4
 9.2
reviews (5) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Striker Custom FR424CM Reviewed by: Sendrith, on june 26, 2006

Features: This guitar was made recently, I'm not exactly sure but within the last couple years in Indonesia. 24 jumbo frets on a all-maple bolt-on neck, with black dot inlays. I believe the body is made out of alder, with a mostly-Stratocaster look to it, finished in a "vintage sunburst" which is mostly a tobacco sunburst, although also comes in heritage cherry sunburst. Bridge is fitted with floyd rose lisensed tremolo, and there is a locking nut. The pickups is where I think this think really shines. This guitar has a H/S/H configuration on a 5-way selector using Kramer QuadRail (H) and DualRail (S) pickups with coil-tapping for the QuadRails (change to dualrail). These pickups are loud. 1 volume, 1 tone. Tuners are non-locking Gotoh SG (I think) and guitar came with all the tools for adjusting bridge, truss rod, and nut. Also came with 8-10' cable and extra spring for the Floyd. Overall, I think the features for this guitar are great, and being my second electric guitar (other being a piece of shit squire) I am very happy. // 10

Sound: At the moment I am using a Fender DSP15 amplifier (not that good, decent practice amp) and this guitar growls like a beast! I love the QuadRails, they are truely dark and heavy, perfectly suited to my style, which is mostly hard rock, metal and some other stuff. Playing around with the pickups and coil-tapping can get you a wide variety of sounds. I can pull off some pretty sweet jazzy and blues-ish sounds, but I really think this thing shines through with heavy overdrive or distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I can find absolutely no problems with the fittings and the finish on this guitar. The only problem I have is that I can't seem to set up the action without having the low E string buzzing. The fretboard on this guitar is amazingly smooth feeling, almost like I washed my hands with budder then wiped it all over a window. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I believe that this guitar could easily withstand live playing, and the hardware is built to last. I'm not too sure about how good the strap buttons are, because I will usually sit down to play, but they seem very good. My only problem is that it doesn't stay in tune very well, but I'm going to get a different set of strings anyways. The finish is very durable and thick, I've smacked it a couple times (accident) and not even noticable where it was hit. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. Pickups are dark and meaty-sounding (on the right settings) and perfectly suits hard rock and metal. I have been playing about a year and a half, so some might think differently about this. My first electric guitar is a Squire 20th Anniversary Bullet (piece of shit) and this thing is a rotweiler and the squire is a duck. If this were stolen, I would definately get another one, because this guitar was a great deal for the price ($225 US) although shipping was a bitch because I'm out of US. // 10

Striker Custom FR424CM Reviewed by: cal1089, on december 11, 2006

Purchased from: Musicyo

Features: This guitar has 24 frets. Neck itself is hard canadian maple and the neck is also maple. It has an elliptical slim taper neck which allows for fast play. The body is made of alder which gives it a nice sound, and the top is flame maple. It has a Kramer liscensed floyd rose which has yet to give me any problems and holds tune very well. It has a Humbucker (QUADRAIL), single (DUALRAIL), Humbucker (QUADRAIL) setup. This is a great feature which can give you a variety of differnt tones. With the pickups and selecter you get 10 sounds. The tuners are gotoh SG tuners, work very nicely. It also has pearl dot inlays. // 10

Sound: This guitar is perfect for my style of music. I play all kinds of muisic rangeing from Deep dark distortion to clean sounds, and this guitar des it all. I am useing a Randall 25 watt amp. And a Boss distortion pedal. This guitars pickups cancel out any unwanted(HUM) sound that this guitar makes and it really sings when it needs to. The variety of this guitar is unbeatable for the price, it lets you coil split which really is nice. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well can't say to much good from the factory. The guitar was playable from the factory but it needed a setup, so I went into my basement with a great guitar and emerged with a shreding machine. I got the action nice and low, I did have to shim the neck up to achieve this though. Pickups were fine but I did have to raise it to my liking. I was very surprised this guitar when I got it had no flaws what o ever it was amazing. It was just slick, clean and beautiful. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not done any gigs with this guitar. It is very solid and can with stand a drop. I would recommend some strap locks just to makesure it dosent happen though. The hard war is very strudy and aint going nowhere. The straps seem to be very solid hvae yet to strip. They seem to be in there for good. I definitly would use this guitar with out a backup. You need to put Faith in your equipment and I believe this can not let me down. The fish seems thick and it doesn't seem like it will where off. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for my style. This guitar blows my BC Rich Warlock outta the water. It has more crunch and better cleans then tht thing ever could get. This guitar would definetly be bought agian if it where lost, stolen, or ruined. I love the floyd rose (very fun to do some dimebag squeals). There isn't really any thing I hate about this guitar. I compared this to some Ibanezs and Jacksons that where 3 times the price and these kept up. This guitr is just great, if your looking for a cheap inexpensive guitar that is durable, well built, sounds great, and looks great, then you can't go wrong with the Kramer striker. // 10

Striker Custom FR424CM Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 10, 2007

Purchased from: musicyo.com

Features: I got it at 169 bucks offer from the guys at musicyo, actually it costs 225, but with the shipping and import taxes (I Live in Mexico) was like 220 dlls for the whole thing, don't know exactly when (2004/06) probably, and where (maybe indonesia)it was made, it has a Strat type body, 24 frets jumbo, maple neck, with a "slim taper neck", an alder body, mine is Vintage sunburst (very nice)a licensed floyd rose double locking tremolo, and dual and quadrail pickups (pretty loud), 5-way pickup selector, dual tap mode (humbuckers to singlecoils) the descriptions said it has gotoh tuners, 1 volume and 1 tone knob. // 9

Sound: The guitar is actually made for heavy and hard music (metal, hardcore, metalcore) and damn. This baby plays and sounds really really beautiful for metal. Arch Enemy, Lamb Of God, etc will be nice and easy to play. But do not asume it is only for the metalheads, you can play some clean melodys and it sounds great too, add some chorus and a tip of delay, hey this guitar can do anything. From death metal to some Soda Stereo songs. The Floyd Rose is actually very good, and can withstand some abuse to get that Dimebag squeals, you would expect some cheap dumb system, but you will get a nice surprise when you try the whammy bar. The pickups are awesome, it roars when the gain is on top, probably sounds better than a Ibanez, (tried it with one) so you get some nice high output pickups! I run it through a Yamaha DG Stomp and a Marshall MG100DFX combo, I use both the amp's distortion and sometimes de DG's distortion, but hey, any sound I want, I can get it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was not the best I could wish, but with some adjustments I got a shred machine (I can't shred yet, but a frend o mine can, and that was his veredict)the strings were kind of old, so I replaced them, adjusted the system to the new strings, and job done! I probably can't find any flaw on this thing, just maybe the volume and tone pots, kind of loosen, but nothing important. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would probably use a backup guitar (because of the floyd rose system) the hardware is pretty tough, the tuners are really nice, but the strap buttons seem a little weak (probably get some straplocks) it has received some bumps and not a scratch on it. I absolutely lob this thing. I also have a Fender Squier Bullet Special, and this is my only axe, the other guitar is kind of dumb, but hey, the style defines the features you look on a guitar (in most of the cases). // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing mainly classical guitar for almost 5 years, and this guitar was merely a "ghibrizzi", I play most metal with it, but I can play anything I want with it, so, I was checking an electric guitar to buy, checked an Ibanez RG270, and I almost buy that one, but my stepfather suggested the musicyo site, and I gave it a try, I fell in love from the first time I saw it. I wouldn't recommend anything else for the price, it beats some jacksons and some Ibanez for maybe half the price, so, just buy to believe. // 10

Striker Custom FR424CM Reviewed by: kylemcm, on october 22, 2007

Purchased from: EBAY --Kramer Dealer

Features: This guitar was made in 2002 and is one of the newer Kramer's. 24 frets with alder body and a maple fretboard. Floyd Rose bridge with passive quad and dual pickups. 5 way selector with more options when you pull the volume knob out. Has a good tuning lock! // 10

Sound: I play metal, so basically Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and some Rush. The neck allows easy shredding! I play through a late '80s Peavey Deuce with a Radial Tonebone Hot British, Ibanez Tubescreamer, and Dunlop Wah pedal. The Hot British makes this guitar sound awesome and plus it's used by Kirk Hammett. It has a bright tone that holds a note well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well lets just say it was new from Ebay so you get what you get. The fret edges were extremely sharp and I actually cut my fretting hand up. That's an easy fix! Had loose screws, but nothing major. Retards could even fix these problems. Action was a bit high and the color was excellent. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Yes everything will last on this guitar although I'm thinking about swapping the stock pickups for Steve Vai's Evolution Set. But, that's only because I'd rather depend on Dimarzio rather than a no name brand. Strap button's are solid! I'd recommend getting strap locks because I would hate to drop the thing. Keep in mind I bought this guitar without playing it. // 9

Overall Impression: I've owned (in order) an Epiphone SG, Ibanez SA, and now this and it's easily the cheapest guitar out of all of them and might possibly be the best for the price. The best thing about it is it was 265 and if you wreaked it the guitar could be replaced. If the guitar was stolen or lost I'd buy another one. I was going to waste 1200 on an ESP ltd h-1001 and for the price you could buy 4 of these Kramers since nobodys has them it's kinda rare. // 9

Striker Custom FR424CM Reviewed by: EVH92, on december 10, 2007

Purchased from: Music 123

Features: Made 2007 in Indonesia. 24 frets maple fretboard on maple neck with really easy high fret access. It has an adler body with a flame maple top (cherry sunburst finish). Superstrat style body with a licensed floyd and a H/S/H pickup arrangement. Volume and push pull coil splitting tone knob and a 5 way Switch. I believe he tuners are gotoh SG tuners. It also comes with a little clamp on the back of the headstock that holds 2 allen wrenches that you can use to adjust just about anything on the guitar except the truss rod (that's a bigger allen wrench that comes in a bag). // 10

Sound: I play lots of '80s stuff, and this does the job just fine. However, the pickups are a little dark for me, but that's ok. No noise what'soever. It's incredible moving from a Strat with all single coils to this as there is a huge difference in the amount of noise (I use it thru a Peavey Valveking). Oh yeah, and the pickups are extremely high output for passives. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up pretty well when I got it, except for just a little bit of fret buzz. The pickups seem about in the right spot, really close to the strings. Just how I like em. One thing I don't really like about the guitar is the back routing is really sloppy, but other than that this guitar is gorgeous. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems very solid, and the neck is very solid too, and has good strap buttons, but I wouldn't Gig without a backup just because of the floyd. The finish seems durable and looks great. Did I mention the cherry sunburst looks amazing too? This thing seems like it will last me a long, long time. // 10

Overall Impression: For me, this is a great guitar. I love it. I have been playing 2 years thru a Squier Strat, I know most people hate these but I love mine, I'm never getting rid of it and now I have this. I would definetly get anothe one. The only thing I don't like about this is the shoddy routing job in the back, but oh well, it doesnt't affect it's playability. Hope this helps! // 9

More Kramer reviews rating category latest review
+ Pacer Custom 1 9 Electric Guitars 04/17/2014