5003 Review

2.5
review (1) pictures (4) 1 comment vote for this gear:
5003 Reviewed by: mattabs1, on november 03, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Features: The guitar comes standard with three-way switch and a volume and tone pot for each pickup. It also has six strings... And those are just about the only good things to say about it. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic style, pretty common to an LP shaped hollow-body guitar. That being said, my main reason for buying this guitar was that I had a bunch of LP parts left over from my Gibson rebuild and this seemed like a guitar they might fit into. Not at all. The fretboard has trapezoid inlays that aren't cut properly. Half the edges aren't straight and some of them don't even fit properly. // 1

Sound: It sounds almost as bad as it feels. The pickups have so much noise and twang you can barely hear the notes. Don't even try to strum a chord. I play a lot of different types of music (blues, rock, country) and this guitar is extremely poorly suited for any style. This guitar has zero depth or richness to the sound (I'm not even sure the pickups can be considered 100% functional). I have a Peavey Classic 30 and a Peavey Bandit - as well as a recording interface with 1000+ amp and pedal sounds through my laptop and nothing made this guitar sound even remotely pleasing. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: Horribly put together. I bent a note at the 8th fret and the string popped off the saddle. This happened many times. Just about everything (including the bridge) is made out of a cheap plastic and I'm not sure there's a measurable amount of real wood in the entire guitar. The finish is then and plastic-y. This guitar should be in a textbook as an example of overspray. The tuners stay in tune for about 30-40 seconds of playing. I truly believe that the neck on this guitar is made out of plastic. Surprisingly, it was deeecently set up to play out of the box. Intonation was off, but action was playable. Which is the only plus to this guitar. // 1

Reliability & Durability: If you actually play guitar on a semi-regular basis, this guitar would be broken in a hundred places within six months. I was worried that it would break when I set it down on my couch. I didn't let my dog anywhere near it because I was worried he'd snap the neck in half and I wouldn't be able to return it. When I was playing, the bridge would come out of place (it would shift forward or backward about half a centimeter) and upon bending, strings would pop off their saddles. The strap buttons were not sturdy at all either. I had to play the guitar sitting down because I was worried the strap buttons would pop off (even though this is the lightest guitar ever). // 1

Overall Impression: I've played a lot of guitar, and this is (by a million lightyears) the single worst instrument that I have ever played. Do NOT trick yourself into thinking that it might possibly be worth the money. This guitar is not (NOT!) worth any money, at all. It looks bad. It sounds bad. And it feels even worse to play. At no point whatsoever, was anyone involved in the construction of this guitar even remotely capable at doing their job properly. It is a complete waste of building materials that could be use for something like a bucket or a house phone. // 1

Comments