Huntington Review

manufacturer: Lace date: 01/10/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Lace: Huntington
This is a great guitar for beginners and for seasoned pros alike and is priced well below it's competitors. It features an angled headstock, solid alder body, D'Addario guitar strings and great attention to detail usually found on custom guitars.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Features: 8.3
 8.5
 7.4
reviews (3) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Huntington Reviewed by: bigalthethird, on january 04, 2006

Purchased from: www.lacemusic.com

Features: These have been made since 2003, and they feature the only affordable USA made humbucking pickups. Fender has used Lace pickups for more than 30 years, and now Lace makes their own guitar. It is solid alder body with bolt-on rosewood fretboard. It has a transparent blue paint, such that the woodgrain shows through. This is awesome looking. It is Strat style. It has two Lace humbuckers, which are some of the best pickups you can possibly buy under $200. It has the normal beels and whistles, with no extra accessories. // 9

Sound: This is by far the best feature. This is, without a doubt (according to Guitar World's (copyrighted) December 2003 issue) the best sounding guitar for under $500. It challenges guitars between $500 and $1000. It even beats some >$1000 guitars. The Lace humbuckers sound incredible. It has a nice, light, bluesy feel to it but it can put out some power too. It is definitely not a 'metal' guitar, but you know that just by looking at it. The sound blows people away, simply because there is NO buzzing sound and everything (everything) is picked up by those aweomse US made pickups. Absolutely mindblowing sound, made all the better by the $250 price tag. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The fit and finish are all very good, if not great. It was set up perfectly by the factory, everything was in perfect balance and tune (not necessarily the string, s but that's not the company's fault). Don Lace Jr. overlooks the manufacturing of every single guitar which comes out of the Huntington California factory, and it shows. They are awesome to look at. The woodgrain (true woodgrain, not artificial) will make jaws drop. The paint job (available in 4 colors: blue, red, black and natural woodgrain) looks fantastic. The build quality is TONS better than you'd expect for a $250 guitar. It never feels unstable and never feels flimsy or cheap. My only complaints are that the pickups are somewhat loose (you can wiggle them a tad bit, but not much) and the paint is very prone to chipping. If you take care of it though, this thing will last a very long time. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Considering this is a $250, this is very good. Considering the question, I would not want to play this without a backup. And the reason is very simply because if I'm rocking out on stage, which is invariably very hard, I don't want my guitar to come apart. And as unlikely as that is whith this thing, this just simply wasn't meant for it. It is not manufactured to be abused on stage, it was made to be a beautiful (in every sense, visually and aurally) instrument. And it excels at that. You will blow minds while playing this, no matter where. But you are far better to pay more to get a truly stage-worthy guitar (if for nothing other than sturdiness). Would you play a $3500 1962 Strat on stage? No. For the same reason. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar rocks, plain and simple. It sounds incredible, looks amazing (it really does), and it's just too bad no one has heard of this company. I hope they catch on big, because they are on to something. Great pickups, gorgeous guitars, and all for $250? Unbelievable. Check them out now dude! This guitar is seriously insane. // 9

Huntington Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 13, 2006

Purchased from: www.lacemusic.com

Features: Made in 2005 in china though you would think it was american by looking at it. 21 frets or 22? Sorry can't remember off the top of my head but it seems to follow the Fender model for frets. Fretboard is a beatiful rosewood. Body is alder. The finish on the standard is transparent but I got the stained wood finish. Body stlye is as far as anyone can tell an exact copy of a Fender Strat (except much lighter). Bridge is string through tremolo. 1 volume nob, 2 tone nobs 3-way pickup selector. 2 humbuckers made by Lace (the pickups are american made) standard tuners. The guitar came from the factory with a amp cord and nice strings too. Pretty damn good for $250! // 9

Sound: The Huntington fits into my style pretty well. I play blues, hard rock, and psychedelica and this guitar's tone fits my taste perfectly. I play through which amp depending on what sound I want to get. I play through my 30 watt Fender solid state, a 120 watt behringer V-ampire modeling amp, and a Vintage Bogen 50's tube amp. The sound can be what ever you want it to be (except heavy metal) providing what distortion you hook up to it or what amp you play it through. It's nice bright and twangy at the bridge full and deep at the neck and selcting both at the same time has it's own original tone. Like I said this guitar can do just about anything it's way more expensive cousins can do. It's a dream on a wah and I have come close on my 50's amp to emulating Clapton's famous "woman's tone" Also if your into alternative music it sounds good on fuzz. I even crank out some Sex Pistols songs every now and then on it and it still sounds really good. Sustain is also very good for being a tremolo. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it was set up well except it was out of tune. Here is the one problem I had with this guitar. When I first got it I wasn't too thrilled with the neck or mid sound and thought I got ripped off but about a week later I noticed that the neck pickup was a little lopsided so I just pulled out a screwdriver and fixed it in 3 minutes. Every thing else is well set up especially for the fact this was made in the far east. The neck feels extremely good on your hands and provides fast action and feels really high quality (when I first got the neck though it was sticky and smelled like beef jerky but I wiped it down with a damp wash cloth and I never had that problem again, go figure). Like I said before the neck and fretboard feels "expensive" like an american Strat or a custum guitar. This guitar is extremely light. Some people like this others don't. I personally love it because it makes for better vibrato and whammy action but I have alot of friends used to Les Pauls who say it feels like a toy (I think Les Pauls feel are about half the weight of a Mack Truck myself). In my opinion it makes playing live a lot less tiring and doing stage tricks easier like jumping, playing behind your head etc. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have only done a couple gigs with this but I have loaned it out to friends who just love it, and I even had one who want to buy it from me! This guitar seems durable but I take very good care of all my guitars so unless some bibical disastor happens this guitar should last forever. I dropped it once and it hit my wall a couple times but you can't even tell. I would and have used this guitar without a backup and it is definitely more than able to do shows. // 10

Overall Impression: I hope this review dosen't come off like an add but I genuinly love this guitar. I've been playing bass for four years and so I am no stranger to the music world, and I switched over to guitar about a year ago. This is my third guitar and my favorite over a Squier Strat and an Epi Les Paul 100. I have had the opportunity over the years to play several $3, 000 and up guitars and though its not quite as good as some I've played it can hold it's weight against anything. This guitar is 250 dollars and will easily beat out a Fender mexican Fat Strat that sells for around $400 or an Epi Les Paul Standard. You have to go up to around $700 and up to compete. So if your into any kibd of music where tone is Important (especially blues) you should consider this guitar. I would definitely reccomend you at least check out this guitar in stead of going down the beaten path of budget guitars and look for originality. // 9

Huntington Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2013

Purchased from: Music Go Round

Features: This is an affordable import from the mid 2000s as far as I can tell. Standard Fender scale, 22 fret 25.5". Alder body, maple neck, rosewood board. Has a nice trans blue finish on it and is in the fat Strat configuration. Vintage trem, Volume and 2 tones, 5 way switch, hell just think of a fat Strat and you have the idea. My ratings will be based on how well it performs for the money. Seems like it's built pretty well and like it'll stand up to a lot of what I plan to put it through and is nicely appointed for a guitar at this price point. // 7

Sound: The sound of this thing is really amazing for a guitar in this price point. A guy can pick one up dirt cheap and have a nice workable guitar. The hum has a nice lead sound to it not as warm as some but it's nice for bluesy stuff which I play. I've also played 80s rock with it and it does well with that too. The single coils have a nice tone to them, better than I expected and not as noisy as I thought they'd be. The middle is reverse wound for noise cancelling which is a nice feature for me as I tand to use some effects with it. I find that it's as versatile as I need it to be and handles many styles just fine. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is good after some minor adjustments, the tuners are kind of weak but that's an easy fix. Tremolo system doesn't knock it out of tune as fast as I'd imagined. I can't speak for the factory setup as it came used but I did my own setup on it anyway. Frets feel fine, no sharp edges, just an all around solid piece of gear for me. Neck is comfortable and not super heavy. Lightweight guitar and a joy for me to play. It's not a Japanese or American Jackson or an Ibanez but the assembly is solid. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would use it live personally but I always have a few guitars when I play live so it wouldn't be the only one I'd bring. I'm not afraid it'd let me down though. Strap buttons are good, hold secure. I think anyone could feel confident having this in their arsenal of guitars. I don't plan to throw it out a window or off of a building and won't guarantee that it's going to take tons of abuse but I think it'll withstand the normal wear and tear associated with gigging with it or jamming around. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression is actually very good. It's not a USA guitar but I wasn't looking for a USA when I bought it. I was looking for an inexpensive fat Strat to jam on and as a platform to modify if needed. For right now I'm leaving it alone and just enjoying the different sounds I can get out of it. I've been playing over 20 years and have over 20 guitars in the house and this fits about in the middle. It's got great sound in it and to me would be a great investment for a new player or for someone like me that likes to mod guitars. It's a real steal of a deal for the price. I'd say it can hold it's own in the intermediate guitar market and can say for sure that it's a finer instrument than many "starter guitars" out there. I'm not going to say it's gonna kick my Gibson's butt but in certain situations I like it better. Again, I buy guitars to serve a purpose and this does exactly what I need it to do for now and when it doesn't anymore, I can mod it and have a nice platform to build on with minimal initial investment. I would recommend anyone try one of these out as I would bet it'll surprise ya. Anyway that's my 2 cents worth. // 8

More Lace reviews rating category latest review
+ Tres Hombres Single Coil 9.4 Pickups 01/16/2014