Arkane 100 Standard Black Review

8.4
 9.1
review (1) pictures (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Arkane 100 Standard Black Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 21, 2010

Features: It was made in 2008, in China. Has 24 jumbo silver-nickle frets. The fretboard is black and made out of palisander. The nut is graphite. Inlays are pearl. The neck (the back) is made out of hard maple. It is a shiny black solid-body electric guitar. The bridge is fixed, so no whammy bar to mess up the tuning. The guitar has 1 volume controle, 1 tone control & a 3-way selector. The 2 high power Lg-humbuckers are where they should be, under the strings of course. Hardware has a nickle finish. Came with Elixir-strings. // 9

Sound: The guitar was described in the store as a guitar that's mostly for metal. I don't quite agree, because all styles of rock go perfectly on this nice piece of equipment. Even a clean sound gets a nice touch if I put some reverb on it. Actually, I can't really compare it because it's my first electric guitar. But I'm very happy with it and glad I didn't buy the crappy-sounding cheapest guitar in the store. This is the ideal price-quality mix for a starter like me. I use it with a Jim Harley (cheap 15w) amp that's always on the clean channel. That is because my Vox Tonelab ST effect/modeling pedal gives a nice tube distortion. The guitar has a nice full sound. I do have some trouble getting pinch harmonics out of it, so I suppose the output isn't that high. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: There are no visible manufacturing defaults. However, I'm not an expert, so I may just be overlooking it. I was so stupid to breack the plastic on the 3-way selector, but that's no biggie. It still works perfectly. With the old cable I used, the jack always seemed to come loose. However, with the new cable, this problem is completely solved. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I only play in my living room, so I have no stage experience with this baby. But everything seems very well built (expect for the plastic on the 3-way selector I broke). The guitar is still as shiny as the day I bought it. No other pieces have come loose or fallen off, that's enough for me. // 7

Overall Impression: The guitar goes perfectly with the hard rock I love to play. Especially with the Vox Tonelab ST effect/modeling pedal I can bend the tone exactly as I want. If the guitar was stolen, I'd go the a store with the better-known brands and try to compare. I always have the feeling now that this guitar is great, but I don't know how much better electric guitars can get. I would not sell this one though. // 9

More Lag reviews rating category latest review
+ Tramontane T300AE 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 11/25/2014