Arkane A200ST Review

7.7
reviews (2) pictures (2) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Arkane A200ST Reviewed by: Deth Rake, on may 24, 2010

Purchased from: independant dealer

Features: The guitar is a slightly larger super-strat, with longer lower and upper bouts and a ergonomically designed body. Heres the cold, hard stats; Body Flamed Maple on Solid Basswood Neck Hard Maple, Bolt-On with Rosewood Reinforcement Rail Trussrod 2 Way LAG System Fingerboard Rosewood Fingerboard Radius at a guess it's very close an Ibanez Wizard built for shredding!! Fingerboard Inlays Acrylic Pearl Fret Size Jumbo, Silver Nickel Fret Qty. 24 Machine Head LAG High Precision Pickup Qty. 3 Pickup Type EMG HZ set: SA (neck), S3 single (mid), TB1 (bridge) Tremelo Floyd Rose Locking System (with Locking Nut) Controls 1 x Vol / 1 x Tone Push Pull Selector Switch 5 Way Hardware Type Black. It's a shred machine, bottom line. It looks stunning, plays great and is a reasonable alternative to an ibanez! // 9

Sound: I play metal, rock and bluesy unfused stuff and this guitar is perfect for it. The EMG's are passive but still give a full, potent punch. Like the active EMG's, these passive pups are pretty low noise and are quite versatile too. The coil tap allows the humbuckers to be spilt into singlecoils for a greater spectrum of sounds. I play it through a Marshall valve stack (not sure which as it's at my practice space) and it's dang good. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Brilliant from the start! The floyd has a great fitting arm which stays were you put it, which for me is a massivly useful touch. Pickups were at pefect playing height for me, middle height which gets the both of both worlds! Everything about this guitar was set up for playing straight away. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I trust this guitar completely, I've had it 6 months and it's never had a single prolem. It's built well and it won't need a back-up, its built to last and shred! Finish is good and hasn't even scrathed at all yet! The harware and pickups are built to last as is the whole of the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Nothing I can say will make you buy this, but you should give it a try if your looking for a mid-range shred guitar that know else will have. I'd get another if it was stolen or lost. I also own a Gibson les paul studio, which is kinda pushed aside by this. The best feature about this is it's easy playabilty, your fingers glide across the fretboard and all notes ring clear. This is the best alternative to guitar like Ibanez's or any orhter generic shred guitars. // 9

Arkane A200ST Reviewed by: ocelot44, on august 25, 2011

Purchased from: Salop Music Centre

Features: This guitar is the generic 'super strat' shape. Its made from basswood with a flamed maple top. The neck is hard maple with a rosewood fretboard. It has 24 jumbo frets with acrylic pearl inlays. It comes with a floyd rose licensed tremolo. Its not the best I've seen or played, But its still great for the occasional dive bomb. The arm sits well where you set it to or you can loosen it slightly to it falls down. At the top of the neck are locking nuts as standard with a floyd rose. The tuners on the Arkane are LAG High Precision. They hold the tuning well, But that's also helped with the locking nut. This thing comes stocked with the hard rockin' EMG Hz pick ups. Bridge:TB1 Middle:S3 Single Neck: SA. These aren't as good as their Active equivalents, But they sound great amongst the passive world. It has one tone, one volume, a coil tap and 5 - way pick up selector. // 7

Sound: The Arkane has a very distinctive sound with screaming highs and a great low end! I currently play this through my Bugera 6260 combo. Running this guitar through a powerfull valve amp is the best thing for it. Naturally I play metal, But sometimes I like to take a more peaceful playing style. This thing does cleans slightly better than metal if anything. The coil tap is extremely useful for changing the tones without having to mess with the amp. From previous experimenting and giging with this I've found that on a hard rock setting you can take it to a 'twangy' clean sound with the use of the coild tap. The overall sounds using cleans and over Drive are very easy to change and work with on this guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar it was perfectly adjusted, and in great condition. There were no defects in the paint or finnish either. All the components were fitted properly and worked fine. There isnt really anything else to say about the guitar in this respect. It was great, Well built, Tuned, Action was perfect and there was no buzz. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Now on to the disapointing part. I've had this guitar for around 2 and a half years now and I hate to say that its gone very down hill. I've never abused this guitar so I would have expected it to stay in at least good condition. The pick ups have developed a displeasing 'hum' which I can only presume is a grounding problem. Most likely the wire has become loose though there is no sign of it. The next problem is the pick up selector. Its become very loose overtime and has even fallen in the body a few times. The pick up selector is quite hard to fix too due to the awkawrd position of the screw. I fixed this with blue tack although I still fear it will be a re-occuring problem. // 4

Overall Impression: Being the metal musician that I am I'd say this is almost a perfect match. This guitar plays and sounds great. Its well suited to other genres of music too. I play metal most of the time but occasionally play clean, or light rock. So its all round a great guitar with mamy different possibilities on tone. I've been playing guitar for around 3 and a half years and this was a great guitar for when I was learning and still great for playing now. The other gear I use is a Bugera 6260 and a Dean 255 Razorback. Compared to the razorback this guitar doesnt't fair to well, But for 600 less, It certainly pulls its weight. If it were stolen I'd definately buy another one if I could, Or at least something similar. The thing I love most about this guitar is how versatile it is, There are just so many possibilities. The thing I really don't like is the reliability, I've managed to fix the problems with hardware and such, But I foresee more in the near future. I don't think I compared it with anything else at the time of buying it as there was nothing that I knew even came close for 100. There are only 2 things I wish it had, They are: An original Floyd Rose and Active EMGs. // 7

More Lag reviews rating category latest review
+ Tramontane T300AE 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 11/25/2014