LE322 Review

manufacturer: Laguna date: 08/11/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Laguna: LE322
The Laguna LE322 is all about character -- inside and out. Start with the toneful beauty of a Louisiana swamp ash body, add custom-wound Alnico V, coil-tap pickups and a striking finish, and you've got the recipe for remarkable versatility, performance and punch. It makes a statement even before you plug it in.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 9.3
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
LE322 Reviewed by: CustomCustom, on march 19, 2008

Features: Made in 2008, 22 frets, 25.5" scale neck that isnt Ibanez thin but not as wide across the fretboard, thinner than a Standard Mex Strat with a nice rounded feel on the 1st 3 frets for comfortable open chording, compound radius I guess. It has jumbo fretwire which you can dig into pretty well a lot bigger than a Mexistrat and the rosewood is twice as thick as a mexistrat, it is a 1 piece maple neck (I don't even see any seams on the headstock, it looks like all 1 piece). It has a solid top with a nice carved arch top, body is 3 piece swamp Ash, finish is crimson burst w/wood grain showing thru. Strat shape with Wilkinson trem and Laguna made locking tuners which work well and they don't have the screw on piece on the back that you can loose, you just loosen the top of the peghead with a coin and you're good to go, it blows a std Strat tuning stability away. High output bridge humbucker w/coil tap and singles for the neck and middle, all 3 have Alinco 5 magnets. 5-way toggle, 1 vol/1 tone w/brige pickup tap. // 10

Sound: I bought the Laguna for Strat sounds from shimmering cleans to SRV overdriven Texas blues. The Bridge bucker holds up well for metal with a lot more output than a Mexican Fatstrats' bucker. But overall it has a thinner more trebly tone compared to a Les Paul for maximum gain and distortion setting. Bottom line you could get away with this as you're only axe and still play good sounding metal. But that's not why I bought it, step on the clean channel and this guitar rings like a bell, the 2 singles give a shockingly good tone for the price paid. The out of phase position 4 between the 2 singles sounded as well as an American std Strat and the neck alone gives classic Strat tones. The humbucker doesnt't clean up as well when coil tapped to a single, but what do you expect it's an overwound high output bucker. What I like is the swamp Ash gives a much grittier tone than alder or basswood, the low E when twanged open SRV style in a riff just goes lower while the G/B/E strings shimmer with more treble all at the same time, it gives that convincing SRV tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was less than desireable, strings too high for my taste but the sales man and I lowered the pivot screws on the trem and introduced some bow into the neck with a tweak on the truss rod (it actually looked like it had a reverse bow. After adjusting intonation was set and the action is as low as I like it now without buzz. The wilkinson sits on top of the body Strat style but floats like the 2 point Am Strat and lets you pull up about a whole note, but it dives all the way down smoothly without creaks. The feel of the trem is what sold me, it's light to the touch and you can go from EVH dive bombs to subtle Riviera Paradise type vibrato for chording. I like the Wilky better than std Am. Strat or a PRS unit. Neck/body finish flawless, neck very smooth no frets sticking out. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems like this will last it's got bulk not Les Paul heavy but solid. No unusual feedback or squeels while playing loud. It would be just as reliable as a Strat for playing out, you know the routine. Knobs/switch/trem seem very solid. Strap buttons seem solid in the swamp Ash. Finish isnt the nitrocelulous so it will last a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal/blues/jazz/classical and it fits the screaming blues to a tee. I've been playing 24 years I've owned Am strats, LP Studio, MIJ Ibanez RG's/S's(still own), Aria Pros, Washburns, LTDs/still own (another great bang for the buck brand), Kramers, Charvels / Jacksons (fretboards too wide especially above the 15th fret for me), Hamers, BC Riches, a lot thru the years. If it were lost/stolen I'd pick another up, like I said it's cheap the Indonesian labor helps out but it's put together as well as the 200 and below series LTDs from Indonesia. My fav feature is the Wikinson, the tone from the singles, the playable neck. // 9

LE322 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2009

Features: 22 frets, 25.5 inch scale. Thin neck, with jumbo frets. Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, and Loiuisiana Swamp Ash body. Transparent finish, beautiful wood finish. Strat body style, with a Wilkinson bridge. Volume and tone knob, with push/pull selector. 5-way pickup selector, controlling the two single coil Alnico pickups and the one humbucker. Locking tuners. Came with strap locks. Very nice brushed nickel hardware. // 9

Sound: I play at least a little bit from a lot of music genres, mainly classic rock, and metal, and this guitar hasn't disapointed me yet. It has a clean Strat-like sound, but it is still great for metal. The two single coil pickups give a very clean sound for the price. I use it with a Line 6 Spider III amp, which has built in effects, and with the guitar and amp combo, I am able to prettly much get the sounds I want from the guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight out of the box, all it needed was a tuning, although the action was set a bit low, and some of the strings buzz on the high frets, which is easily fixed. The pickups sound great right of the box though. It was in immaculate condition when I got it, with no scratches or bubbles inb the finish, and there were no oxidized hardware or I'll fitted fretwire, but I did have a loose tuning peg, which was easily fixed. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This seems ike a very solid guitar. The Hardware seems very durable, and rigid. The strap buttons are fine. I personally don't feel like I would need a backup, and though I don't gig, I would feel comfortable doing so with his guitar. The finish seems very durable and won't wear off. // 9

Overall Impression: Works great with all styles of music. I love it. I've only been playing about a year, so as a beginner, it suits me perfectly. I also own a Strat look-alike, and a Steinberger Spirit headless bass. If it was stolen, lost, or damaged beyond repair, I would definitely consider buying the same product again. I love the Ash wood. One thing, though, I can't hear any difference in switching the bridge pickup from double to single coil. Overall, this is a great guitar for anyone beginner to expert. // 10

LE322 Reviewed by: martinez34, on august 11, 2009

Features: Body Type: Solid Body Wood: Louisiana swamp Ash Scale Length: 25.5 in Neck Joint: Bolt-on Neck Wood: Rock maple Fretboard: Rosewood Frets: 22 Bridge: Wilkinson tremolo Pickup Bridge: Custom alnico humbucker Pickup Middle: Custom alnico single-coil Pickup Neck: Custom alnico single-coil Controls: Volume and tone Tuners: Locking Hardware color: satin nickel Pickup selector: 5-way free gig bag // 9

Sound: It sounds flawless, you can get multiple types of sounds out of this gutiar. When ran clean, it sounds super crisp and very good. It's sounds great with distortion as well. I run it through an old school amp, but replaced the speaker with a 100 watt Sansui speaker, it was my dad's when he was young. If it sounds great with old school gear like that, than obviously it can sound good on anything. not too noisy, yet it can be bright or warm, w/ a wide variety of sounds. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Supposedly, the action is supposed to be factory set, but when I got it, there was a decsent amount of fret buzz. It's possible that some guitar center guys adjusted it or not, but it's fixed now. The pickups seem fine, the intonation is fine, as is the bridge.There were absolutely no flaws in the finish of the guitar that I have noticed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have no way of knowing if it can withstand Live playing, I don't play live, but I'm sure it could. It is very high quality, I think the hardware will last a very long while. I don't often play w/ a strap, but when I do, they seem very solid. The finish is great and it will defineatle last. It was the highest quality guitar I saw in the shop. // 9

Overall Impression: I play pretty much anything, except for metal and country, and so far, it has satisfied me with all the sounds I could have hoped for. I really like the finish and the features, they are great. There really isnt anything to dislike about this guitar, other than having to change the action when I got it, but that was an easy fix. I compare it to any top quality guitar, it is way above the lame guitars. I was planning on getting a Dean or a squire or or something in that price range, but when I saw this for 200 dollars, plus a coupon I had, I guess it was my lucky day, it is better than anyother guitar I've played, and comprable to the higher end guitars aswell, I have played them too. I just wish I'd had some pickup covers, but I'll get them soon enough, then it will look even better. Overally, this guitar is great for begginer or advanced players, it's great. // 9

More Laguna reviews rating category latest review
+ LE400Q 8.3 Electric Guitars 01/20/2014