LE422 Review

manufacturer: Laguna date: 03/17/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Laguna: LE422
Lush flamed swamp ash looks plus smoky hums and singles for outrageous tonal versatility. The Laguna LE422 is crafted with solid premium Louisiana swamp ash and a comfort carved top featuring a gorgeous AAA flame maple veneer.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.7
 9.6
 7.7
reviews (2) pictures (3) 12 comments vote for this gear:
LE422 Reviewed by: night117hawk, on september 08, 2008

Features: Body Type: solid Body Wood: louisiana swamp ash Top wood: aaa flame maple veneer Scale Length: 25.5 in Neck Joint: bolt on Neck Wood: rock maple Fretboard: rosewood Frets: 22 Bridge: wilkinson tremolo Pickup Bridge: alnico hum Pickup Middle: alnico single Pickup Neck: alnico single Controls: vol & tone (with coil tap) Tuners: laguna locking tuners Hardware color: satin nickel Pickup selector: 5-way Finish: honey burst Ok that's all the Tech Specs, now onto the actual review. I love the features on this guitar. The tuners keep the guitar in tune when you do dive bombs. The Wilkinson tremolo is pretty good but I'de rather have a Floyd Rose (then again guitars didn't always have tremolos so it's not that big a deal). The fretboard is rosewood (I just plain love the look and feel of rosewood) however unlike normal guitars it comes with a very thick layer of rose wood for the fretboard. The only bad thing about the features had to do with the tremolo. I bought it and we didn't get the tremolo bar with it because we forgot to ask for it. so when I got the remolo bar I put it in. I'm turning my guitar over to make sure it stays in and the bar falls out along with the the plastic sleeve that holds the bar in there. This happened because I am missing a screw that holds the plastic sleeve in. However, it isn't that big a deal. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my musical style very well. I casualy play rock, alternative metal (Tool), Metallica/Megadeth, nu-metal and a little death metal. I mostly have it in drop D tuning. I use a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt amp. I mostly use the crunch distortion but I also use the clean, metal, And very rarely the insane distortion. The Alnico pickups are some of the best picups I've used. The controls allow me to get any tone I want. I can get anything from a lightly distorted tone to a very warm rich tone. With my amp it works really well. The lower pitched strings sound really noisy on insane distortion but that is normal, You can get a very nice tone though on the higher pitched strings. On the metal setting it is not quite as noisy but still a little bit however I just adjust the Drive knob on the amp a little bit and it is better. It sounds great on crunch and clean settings. Overall I think this guitar is great for all styles of music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There was no need for me to adjust the action. There was no need for me to adjust the pickups. The only problem I had was once again the missing screw however as long as your not the kind of person Who does fancy guitar tricks it is no big deal. The neck is solid. Frets are aligned just fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The hardware seems like it will last forever. The finish is thick and solid. Strap buttons are solid. I believe it's very dependable. I'm in high school and let's just say I ride the short bus, my school allows me to bring in my guitar, leave it in a teachers room, and play it during lunch. If you've ever ridden the short bus you should know that it is like driving offroad. My guitar stay in tune and stays together even though the headstock is goes through a pretty rough ride. I also have a tendency to hit the headstock against something a lot and it still is in great shape. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about 1 1/2 years. I own another guitar which I believe came from a custom shop that custom painted it so I can't tell what it is because that painted there logo over the other. I also own a ltd viper-104 bass and an ocean bass. My brother owns a Gibson Les Paul, a prs paul allender se, a ltd v200, and a LTD M50. I also own a Vintage Rickenbacker that I plan to get fixed up. I own a 9 piece pearl drumset with a joey jordison snare drum. The thing I love about this guitar is the variety of sounds you can get out of it. The things I wish it had are the missing screw. I also wish I had gotten it in the transparent red finish but it's both me and my dads guitar and he wanted the honeyburst. Overall if this guitar were lost or stolen I'de be devestated and would probably try to buy it again except in the transparent red. // 10

LE422 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 17, 2011

Features: I have had this guitar now for about 1 1/2 years, bought it at guitar center. This is the model LE422TBC. I have noticed in subsequent visits to GC that this particular model which is HSS is hard to come by, Most of them seem to be the HH type. My model has a really nice red maple finish with rosewood fretboard 22 frets with the coil. I think the less expensive HSS has finished wood as opposed to the nice maple overlay and finish I have on mine. The electronics are passive. Don't let the price of this guitar stop you from giving it a try. The "custom" alinco pickups really are decent sounding and the bucker hits the sweet spot for the types of music I play.The guitar has a five position Switch which will let you go from the Stratocaster spank to a tele sound on the neck. The humbucker does have a coil tap feature too and I really like this capability. The pickups are alinco V, not 1,2 or 3. I really like the combination of alinco V and the swamp ash body. I put it right up there with Mahoghany for sustain. The body shape lends itself well to this resonation too. I would classify it a well defined. I'm not sure about the tuners on it. They are not grovers but they are not necessarily bad either. Since I keep my guitar out of the case on a stand against an outside wall I might need to tune it up some in the winter time if the temp drops a few degrees but overall she doesn't go way out of tune on a regular basis. I got a great deal on this guitar with a hard case included for 299.00 at Guitar Center. // 10

Sound: I play on the church WT and this guitar excells here in clean and semi-clean tones. My personal preferences are a harder more humbucker driven tone and believe me, I have put this guitar through the paces on harder material and for non-active pickups it is excellent. I first played it into a Crate VFX50 american made 50 watt tube amp with two 12" broun sound drivers...whoa!. With this setup I could easily peel the ceiling off of a small building at half volume. The amp was really overkill and I ended up parting with it for a pod X-3 live and now a pod HD500.I also play it through the TC Electronics Nova System and it sounds great through all of these. I have used Ernie Ball strings with the heavier gauges and tried the coated strings all with good results. I am now using 9s on it with good results. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action wasn't bad from GC but I did need to teak it slightly lower and work at the Bridge to get a few of my strings the right height. The wilkinson trem is decent. I don't do a lot of diving with this guitar but I do occasionally add the bend while playing. Being from a mechanical persuasion I thought the arm design on the trem was a little cheap. I think these trems could be designed better than they are. I lost the small allen screw that holds the trem arm. The fit here between the screw and the female threads could have been a few thousandths more snug. The design in general bugs me. The plastic bushing arm assy is just not kosher. These are minor grips though. The trem DOES WORK. And this is the same wilkinson 50 series used in countless other guitars. I find no fault at all in the frets here. No string buzzing or string catching on the edges. Laguna does a good job on the neck and frets. I like the rosewood finger board and usually keep it oiled up with tung oil. As I said I have not had any really major tuning issues but I do use a good non petroleum based lubricant on the nut and on the saddles when I change my strings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would easily work well for a weekend warrior who doesn't do a lot of dive bombing with the trem. If I were into this I might change the trem. On it. The quality, fit and finish are right up there with guitars costing three times as much money. The finish has held up well with time. Like any guitar, if you take care of it you should have a real gem for a long time to come. I did put locking strap holders on mine. I think some of that problem may have been my strap too.I usually always put strap lock on anyhow. Its well worth the money for the assurance. // 9

Overall Impression: I lead a church worship team and so I play once a week and we have practice every week. I usually go between this axe and keys, so I play the guitar about two to three times a week. Our material ranges from clean tele stuff to hard grinding metal choruses. I pretty much play the range with it in terms of style....well ok no puck rock or hip hop but who knows! I have actually been looking for a sweet deal on another one of these and have even thought about snagging the 800 series. This will probably end up being a backup axe when and if my James Tyler JTV-69 Variax comes in. If I found a nice deal I would buy another Laguna in a heartbeat...If you want brand name recognition then go get yourself an American Stratocaster, tele or a nice Gibson.Or if you already have those and want a reasonably priced banger or if this is your first guitar it is hard to go wrong with this Laguna! The HSS alinco V pickups w/coil tap and the nice cherry finish caught my eye, the rest of the package only added to the value! // 10

More Laguna reviews rating category latest review
+ LE400Q 8.3 Electric Guitars 01/20/2014