Variax Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 04/28/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Line 6: Variax
Simple controls, Contoured basswood body, Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, 22 medium profile frets. Included A/B footswitch selects between two outputs, sunburst finish.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.2
 Features: 9.2
 7.9
 8.8
reviews (10) 37 comments vote for this gear:
Variax Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 24, 2003

Features: I'm reviewing the Line 6 Variax playing experience. Will not get into specs, don't know that much about it and you can find that info elsewhere. Other than to say it 's a modeling guitar that models a variety of Pauls, Telecaster, Stratocaster, jazzboxes, dobros, Coral electric sitar, banjo (?),acoustics, and other goodies. For what it is it's a pretty cool toy/gigging tool if you need a wide variety of sounds on a budget. // 8

Sound: I'm a working pro, i.e. my income is derived from playing guitar as well as teaching others how to play. I could see this being a useful gigging tool for cover/wedding gigs, I play everything from country to rock to jazz to blues and the guitar appears to cover the gamut. I played this thing split through a PA for acoustic sounds and a Line 6 Duoverb for electric. Plenty of variety obviously, that's this guitar's hook. Tele, Strat, Paul, acoustic, sitar, blah blah blah. Not noisy, but kind of a sterile sounding thing. None of the guitar sounds really sound like a guitar. I actually didn't detect that much of a difference between a lot of the sounds and I played it for a good hour and a half. The sitar sound was pretty cool, I hung with that for a while. Bottom line: if you need a decent backup guitar or want some off the path sounds buy this, but don't buy this expecting to replace the experience of playing any of the guitars modeled. People have preferences (Fender, Gibson, semi-hollow, hollow, solidbody) for a reason. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar felt fine to me. No objectionable qualities as far as construction. Saw a lot of reviews slamming this area, but the one I checked out was fine. Feels like a good $500 guitar. Was pretty comfortable to play, and pretty light. For what it is I'd give it a high mark. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think the main hook to buying this guitar would be the lack of need to change guitars on a cover/wedding gig (just like the hook of buying a Line 6 amp would be their light weight, variety of serviceable sounds, and one stop shopping features.)Seemed solidly built. // 8

Overall Impression: Been playing 17 years. Have a Fender American Classic Strat and a Parker Nitefly, Boogie Mark IIa head and more recent cab, some stompboxes. What I dug about this guitar was the 12 string and sitar models. The wide variety of sounds would create a creative sitting around and fooling with ideas experience (kind of like my cheapo Boss ME50 processor.) I wouldn't buy this guitar, ever. The models just don't sound like guitars. Kind of like cheap Casio keyboards with different modeling sounds (my understanding is the levels of technology involved is similar), those models don't really sound like B-3 's do they? Feels like a guitar and works like one, but just isn't really. Buy it if you want some of those off the wall sounds like sitars and 12 strings in an electric format but do not expect to replace any of your beloved Strats, Teles, etc Line 6 does a great job of hyping their stuff but most of their of their products are underwhelming. Their stuff is very overpriced and just like computers, their stuff becomes obsolete overnight. Hopefully in a few years the technology will improve drastically (I think it will) but for now, beware. // 6

Variax Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 30, 2003

Features: The Variaxe is quite a guitar, unlike anything else. I need not tell you much about the details on specs, since it's relatively new and can be viewed on Line 6's web site. The features are what I expected, although they could improve a bit. First, the model select knob should have both custom settings next to each other,rather than at opposite ends. I also don't care much for the (6) AA batteries needed if you don't use the footswitch. I would like to have seen Line 6 use a multi-cable (kind of like the old Roland gtr synth) and better integrate the models into the footswitch that allows you to choose a balanced or 1/4" out. For example, when you would select an acoustic gtr, the footswitch would automatically Switch to the balanaced out, etc. I also don't like the AC adapter for the footswitch - 5ft of AC, a transformer, and 5ft of DC. Who wants a transformer laying in between your footswitch and amp? I have to mention the cool use of the tone knob with acoustic guitar models, as it emulates the mic position between bridge and neck! I'd have to give it high marks for it's unique technology, though. (PS - Line6 - you should add a nylon acoustic model...) // 10

Sound: The Variax is NOT every guitar that it models, so let's put that to rest. It is, however, remarkably quiet (no AC buzz - any Strat players out there?) and has some very nice tones. Since I've had many of the guitars it models over the 25yrs I've played pro, it's nice to cart around one axe that can fool most. The acoustis stuff is much better than any of the other solid bodies w/transducers or piezos. It would be nice if you could program the volume differences, even though they are somewhat true to the modeled guitar levels. I use many amps (Marshall, Fender, A/DA, etc) and effects (Vintage and modern) and the Variax fits as well as any other guitar I use. Sound-wise, I'll also give it a high mark, since 1/4 of the sounds are 4x more than most guitars offer to begin with. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It comes from the factory (according to the manual) strung and adjusted. Yeh, right. Fotunately with the help of my friends at J. Gravity in STL, $30 worth of adjustments to the nut, truss rod and bridge took care of the play-a-bility issue (Hey Line 6 - howse about sending me a $30 rebate?). The finish is nice, and the gears are good. It feels like a decent instrument for the most part. // 6

Reliability & Durability: So far (only about 60hrs of gigtime), the Variax has held up well. Since it's taboo to ever gig without a backup guitar, I wouldn't have that concern. However, if it's your only guitar on the gig, I would be wary. The Variax is heavily dependent upon batteries/powered footswitch AND internal electronics. If either go, you have zero sound, period. We'll see how well it holds up over time. Perhaps Line6 shoud have stuck a pickup in this thing anyway for that reassurance... // 8

Overall Impression: I'm a working pro and play mostly rock/jazz/fusion etc. I have owned a shet-load of gear over the years and am quick to judge anything. My first bet was that this guitar would be another synth guitar (like several I've had ages ago -remember the Arp Avatar & Rolcna GR-500?) with crappy tracking, aliasing, etc. NO WAY. It's remarkably real. At this point, I'd buy a replacement for certain if mine were to vanish. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before upgrades or competitors will Drive the Variax to improvement, but it's not in need of anything drastic. I'd like to see Line 6 put additional software models on their website for download into the Variax, which would certainly take the blow out of the $1G price tag. Great piece of gear overall and hats off to Line 6...CR // 10

Variax Reviewed by: LynkStar, on august 01, 2006

Features: Obviously, the main feature of the Variax is the guitar models, which is the thing that attracted me to it in the first place (along with the unique appearance). The Telecasters give a good range, from a crystal clean to a satisfying distortion, and are surprisingly realistic, as is the single Strat included. The Gibson Les Pauls (Standard, Special, Goldtop, Junior and Custom) give a great distorted sound, sufficient for any style, as does the Firerbird. The Gretsch Silver Jetalso gives a good distorton. There are a great range of semis too, which sound great, espeically the Gretsch 6120. The resonators sound great, and the banjo and sitar are a lot better than I expected, as are all the 12-strings. The acoustics don't sound great, but having the sounds on hand is very useful. It comes with 22 jumbo frets, which provide great access, even when bending on the 22nd. For my 300 I got a choice of red/white and black, and they both looked great. The Strat-esque body shape looks great, and it manages to be original by modifying the body shape, changing the headstock (which looks great), changing the scratchplate (also great), and having the pickups hidden. There are 3 knobs on the body; volume, tone and model. The model knob can be used to set presets to the pickups, and if combined with the Variax Workbench can hold custom guitars and tunings. It came with a great case and powered Planet Waves cable. // 9

Sound: The guitar sounds absolutely great! I love the sounds of all the models. Even if they were to sound nothing like they were meant to, they still sound amazing. I use it through my Line 6 Spider II 112 amp, and if you combine the models on the amp with the guitar models you get a great range. The guitar has very little background noise, especially with the built-in noise filter of my amp. It has a great rich tone, and lots of variety. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar and first played it, it was set up perfectly. The tuning was perfect, as was the action (whereas the action on my previous guitar was about 1/2 a centimetre too high, and I didn't know how to fix it so I played it like that for a year). The finish was flawless, as were the attachments. // 9

Reliability & Durability: After having played this guitar for a few hours solid each day, and having played it live, it has survived very well. Everything about the guitar is solid, although the pickup Switch is starting to rattle a bit. I would trust this guitar in a gig situation without a backup, as long as I either had a power pack or new batteries, as the compulsory power can be annoying. Also, in an unfortunate incident, a part of the finish has chipped off, but I stuck it back on. It looks OK. // 8

Overall Impression: I play styles from soft rock and funk up to Metallica-style metal, and this matches them all perfectly. I've been playing for a total of 20 months, and this guitar has been very reliable for 10 of them. The one I had before was terrible, so comparitively this guitar is God. This guitar is amazing, and if I were to lose it, or get more money, I'd buy a 500. It's better than the 300, but the 700 isn't worth the price jump. // 10

Variax Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2004

Purchased from: Rainbow

Features: The features on the Variaxe are awesome! It comes with at least 20 different guitars to choose from! Such as: 1960 Telecaster Custom, 1968 Fender Telecaster, 1959 Fender Stratocaster, 1968 Fender Telecastor Thinline, 1958 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1952 Gibson Les Paul "Godltop", 1961 Gibson Les Paul Custom, 1956 Gibson Les Paul Junior, 1955 Gibson Les Paul Special, 1976 Gibson Firebird V, 1959 Gretsch 6120, 1956 Gretsch Silver Jet, 1968 Rickenbacker 260, 1966 Rickenbacker 360-12, 1961 Gibson ES-335, 1967 Epiphone Casino, 1957 Gibson ES-175, 1953 Gibson Super 400, Acoustic: 1959 Martin D-28, 1970 Martin D12-28, 1967 Martin 0-18, 1966 Guild F212,1995 Gibson J-200, And Much Much More! The tuning instruments are 'ok', There not as good as ones on an Ibanez. // 10

Sound: Well it depends which guitar you have it on. If you have it on a grunge guitar you get a grainy sound. But if you have it on a 12 string you get a mellow and soft sound. The sound has a lot of diversity, I give it a 5 out of 5. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was perfecto mound'e! The black paint was brisk and smooth, and the Pick guard was polished to prefection. There were also no splinters in the neck or on the frets. Also, the strings were at the right height! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The durability of this song will survive concerts and even party's with drinking. Beleive me I've used it ;) The strap buttons are solid so they wont break under the preasute of the guitar strap. The only bad thing is that it's a little harder to play standing up because its heavy and at a different angle. But you could say all guitars are that way! // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal to country to jazz to blues! This is really a good all around guitar! If you playing punk rock or mabey grunge then you Switch to a Strat or a fire bird! Or metal; A Silver jet Gretsch! This guitar has it all! // 10

Variax Reviewed by: jjhru, on july 15, 2005

Purchased from: Local Music

Features: The Variax has a huge list of features. Its main eye catcher is that fact that it has over 25 distinctive guitar models in 1! From what I can tell it's a solid body, digital guitar. It has a 22 fret fingerboard, which feels like mahogany. The body style it comes with is the Strat look. It has volume, tone (which lets you decide were the mic is, like if you want a full sound, or the bridge sound), the 5-way selector that lets you store your 5 custom made sounds (like an acustic guitar with a humbucker). It runs off AA batterys or the Vetta II. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds good no matter what style of music you play. From heavy metal, to soft jazz, nothing is beyond your reach! And since its not megnetic pickups, you have no extra sounds after your down playing. Once you stop, the sounds stop. You can combine any effects with it to make any sound you want, it has complete control over vareity of sounds. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would never let you down. It's perfect while recording. Say you want an acustic sound, but then want a reso or 12 string electric, you dont have retune or change gutiars, just a quick turn of the nob and your ready to go. // 10

Overall Impression: The overall impression is awesome. I play harder rock, it works perfect, even if I decide to Switch it up to play something more smoother, I can do it in a flash. I wouldnt trade this guitar in for the world. If it were ever broke or stolen, I would totally buy a new one, its completly worth the price. I bought this guitar on am impulse, just needed a good guitar and it was completly worth it. Anyone buying this guitar will be satisfiyed tell the end of there days. // 10

Variax Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 18, 2005

Features: I can honestly say, playing this guitar before, that I'd never buy it. There are many different guitar sounds to choose from, which is great and all, but they're all pre-set guitars, and I dislike that option alot, because everything's very digital in total. A friend of mine, and myself, played this guitar for 45 minutes, and found that it's decent, a lot of sustain on harmonics and so on, but all in all, definitely not a guitar we liked at all. Fat bodied Strat look, with 22 frets and a solid red color is the one at the local music store (which isn't that great, either). // 6

Sound: I like rock, metal, and punk. This guitar can suit it, but I dislike it a lot. Randy and I played this guitar on an RGA-7 Roland combo amp. There is no annoying sounds, which is a plus, it's just exactly what you're playing, so if you f--k up, you'll know. This guitar's got lots of variety, switching between many, many different sounds, but like it was said before, it's very digital and as randy described it "it's a wide bodied Strat with a f--kin' Pentium 3 inside of it." // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: No pickups on this one definitely not something I'd get on my own. Not my style in looks (I'm playing on an ESP LTD AX - 350, and wouldn't trade it for the world). // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live s--t, and I'm sure its a sturdy build. I have nothing against Line 6 in the end, except that they'd do something like this. I wouldn't play this guitar live in the first place. My AX is all I need. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm playing metal, rock and punk. You can pull off most any sound you want to with this guitar, but I cant stand the fact that its just a computer with strings and frets. I haven't purchased this guitar, with good reason, but it's not all that bad, I guess. Compared to other guitars, I'd take almost anything over this. I just really dislike this guitar in general. I'd never buy one, cause I've got my next guitar all lined up anyways. It's all very pre-set, and I'd much rather have a more unique sound than stuff that's all been done before. // 2

Variax Reviewed by: Blompcube, on december 13, 2006

Purchased from: Trevor Davies Music

Features: The ability to Switch between 25 different guitar sounds is a good thing. It's easy to navigate the different models. Yes I know thay when you select "chime" in pickup position 2 or 4 you aren't really playing a Rickenbacker 360/12, or a 12-string at all for that matter, but it's a good representation of how these sound. The 22-fret rosewood fingerboard, medium scale neck is smooth and very comfortable to play. on the 500 it feels very like a Gibson. The body is shaped like a cross between a Strat and a double-cutaway les paul, and mine is finished in a 3-tone sunburst. The bridge is HardTail, string thru body style. obviously this guitar has active electronics, you can have batteries, connect to the purpose built footswitch or a vetta amp. The controls are volume and tone, a 5 way Switch and the model select. There are no magnetic pickups, it uses piezo-electric. I think the tuners are gotoh. This guitar came with a heavily padded gig bag, a stereo jack (to allow the audio signal and the electrical flow through) and the footswitch which powers the guitar as well as switching outputs. // 9

Sound: This guitar, though sounding perhaps a bit too crisp and clear, will suit any style. It can sound like everything, from Telecasters, Les pauls etc. To acoustic guitars, even resonators, a banjo and an electric sitar. I'm pretty sure it can sound good through most amps. The best part of this guitars sound though, is that there's no unwanted noise, at all. If there is it's the shielding on your cable's fault. The 12-string models sound a bit odd sometimes, and it does sound a bit pre-produced (well it is), but apart from that it's perfect. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I've heard bad things about the factory setup actually, but I wouldn't know because mine was second hand. It did have some fret buzz on lower frets but that was gone once I changed the strings. There were no other problems with it, except that mine had an extra strap peg that the previous owner had put there. That's not the guitars fault. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very solid, and will probably last a long time. It definitely will withstand live playing. The hardware is well fitted and will last I'm sure. This guitar shouldn't need a backup, although it might have a few technical problems at some point, I don't really know. The finish has lasted on mine, only a few little dents and chips. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar will suit any style. I play classic rock mainly and this is perfect for it. I have a Fender Strat to compare the sound to, and this guitar seems to mimic the tone of a Strat with a maple fretboard as opposed to the rosewood on the Strat. If this guitar disappeared I would probably buy another Variax, I'd be unlikely to find a 500 now, they don't make them anymore. I like being able to play an electric sitar then immediately switch to a typical electric guitar. There's nothing else in this market to compare it to really. What other guitar has the sound of 25 different classics in one? the only thing I'd have to say is that Line 6 have built an alternate tuning selector into the new Variax acoustic, why couldn't they have done this first time around? You have to buy an extra piece of software to do this on the solid body Variax. That's the only downside. // 9

Variax Reviewed by: scott58, on october 10, 2007

Features: This review is for the Variax 700 electric tremolo Made in japan 2007 The body is carved Ash over mahogany with a 10" radius maple neck (22 medium frets) and rosewood fret board. The bridge is an L R Bags Tremelo and the tuners are Gotoh. A selector switch for all the model styles and a volume and tone control and a 5-way selector switch. // 10

Sound: I've only had this guitar for a few weeks and haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do. It has standard 1/4 analog output and also XLR balance output and I have it plugged into a Line 6 POD XT Live and Vox DA 20 for electric and A Phonics POD 620 PA for acoustic. For blues, classic rock, and acoustic it's just outstanding right out of the box. Nails Chuck Berry and Stevie Ray with very little adjusting. A good Metal tone takes some work. As A modeling guitar I can't really say how close it is to the actual models it's suppose to emulate as I haven't played any of them, but I will say it will run with any $500 guitar on the rack and the tone is just as good as the lower end Gibson Les Paul's I've played. Acoustic, hollow body, pick your flavor and this thing jumps right in. The acoustic models do sound "plugged" so don't expect a completely natural acoustic tone, but if your used to acoustic/electric you'll like this. The 3 settings I really love are the Gibson ES 335, Danelectro 3012, and the Guild F212. That right there was worth it to me. The Strat setting sounds better then my buddies MIM Strat with texmex pickups, but I'm not around any other strats to compare. He also has a Tele (not sure what pickup) and it sounds real close to that as well. The only real disappointmet was the banjo. It tries, but it just isn't really that good. But this guitar does everything else it says it does really well and being able to go from amp to PA with the included a/b switch is really sweet. The a/b switch also powers the guitar so you don't need batteries. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I am pleased with the guitar itself. If this was a regular guitar I'd put it's quality and fit and finish in the $800 to $1000 range. It's not highend, but nice for the price. No nicks, or scratch or any defects at all. The shape of the body is very comfortable. This is probably the most comfortable I've ever held. And the neck was another thing that feels great. I have a Dean that I also like the neck on (very fast), but I kind of like this one better. The 10" radius is better on my hand (makes me wonder what a 12" is like). I give this a 9 because it's not as nice as the Dean HardTail I was looking at for the same price, but to be fair the Dean doesn't have all the electronics in it either which I'm sure offset the guitar price a bit. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar itself I have no question that it will last as long as any other guitar that's handled properly. The electronics will always be a question. I've gotten years of use out of several computers I've owned so if it's like that I don't have a problem with it. Only time will tell however. I've only gigged twice (not with the Variax), but in all honestly if I started to do it all the time I'd never go on stage without a backup. I don't care what guitar it is. Other then that this thing appears to be pretty solid. // 9

Overall Impression: I prefer to play metal and classic rock, but most of my friends are into blues and honestly my Dean isn't suited for Blues, so I needed a guitar that would fit more into that style. It can't touch My Dean for arena rock type stuff, but for blues and classic rock I like the tone a lot better then the Dean. Right Tool for the It's still hard to believe I actually own something this cool. I've read review where they say it sounds sterile or it's not this or that, but I have to disagree. If you have it hooked up properly and there are no other issues this is an outstanding innovation in guitar. If I have to say one thing I hate about it, it's the fact that I'm probably going to have to learn how to be a sound guy to figure the whole thing out. But that's not really a downside if your searching for tone, this just does it differently. I like this guitar. I'd buy it again. The only thing I wish it had was a selector Switch to change tunings across the entire range of models. It's still the best bang for the buck I've ever seen. // 10

Variax Reviewed by: andyd93, on january 05, 2008

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I believe this model was originally made in 2003/2004 in Japan. It has 24 medium frets, and a bolt-on rosewood neck. There is a solid bridge which is very good, I had the option to go for the Variax 600 model, but the bridge and tremolo on that are not very well made and prone to detuning very fast and easily. Since it is a modelling guitar, it has no pickups, but some small sensors in the bridge, that lead to a basic onboard computer-type system with all of the various settings stored. This guitar does not get affected by anything really tuning wise, I have left it in a room with no heating system for 3 days in the middle of a British November and it did not go out of tune in the slightest. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Status Quo), Blues (SRV, Eric Clapton) and some 80's Metal (Black Sabbath, Scorpions). Using all of the different sounds makes this guitar very useful for band practices so you don't have to lug a few seperate guitars and a load of effects around with you. I favour the Vintage '57 Stratocaster sound (the exact model used by SRV) for my blues and some rock, but I also like the Les Paul settings. The acoustic settings and resonator settings are second to none I have ever heard. these include the Gibson Mastertone Banjo, the Gibson J200 Jumbo and various 12-String settings which are fantastic. At home, I use a Marshall MG50DFX amp which is a very good amp that goes well with this guitar, but I never use many effects. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As I bought this guitar second-hand from an ebay seller, I would not really know much about what it was like new, but everything was in pristeen condition when I got it, a very solid body and neck. Everything was very sturdy and also smooth to play. The only single criticism I had was the Master Control Knob produces a slight crackling sound when it is being changed between settings, but apart from that, everything is great! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have only used this guitar to do a few shows in school, and it has handled very well. You can be very rough with it, but it will still stay in perfect tuning. For the very low price paid for it, everything is extremely well made with seemingly good materials. I believe I could use it at a gig without backup due to the purely sturdiness and reliability of this guitar, I would feel very confident in knowing that everything would be fine on stage. // 9

Overall Impression: For the style of music I play, and for the various styles people I know play Who ave used this guitar, it is a perfect match, I am almost certain you could get any tone you want out of it a long as you use even a half decent amp to play through. I cannot think of the slightest thing I could have asked, as my Uncle (Who already owned a Variax 500) had told me pretty much everything I needed to know about this guitar and after playing it, I had found the perfect guitar! I would definitely consider buying another Variax guitar if this one happened to break or get stolen purely down to the reliability and how practical it is. I just love the fact that you can take this single guitar with you to a rehearsal knowing that it is all you will need no matter what you are going to play. I own a Gibson SG Standard aswell as this guitar and an Affinity Series Squier, and I can honestly say that out of the guitars I own, this is my favourite, and possibly my favourite out of all of the guitars I have ever played including my Uncle's various guitars inluding American-Made highway Strat's and Vintage LP's. It has everything I want, there is nothing else it could have. It is simply the perfect guitar for me, and probably every other guitarist out there, whether it be a beginner or an experienced professional. // 10

Variax Reviewed by: andyd93, on april 28, 2008

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: My Variax 500 was made in 2003 in Korea (Do not let this put you off, I am not a fan of Korean made guitars myself, as they are usually very inconsistent, but this IS an exception). It has a bolt-on maple neck, and a 22-fret rosewood fretboard. I think the body is made of solid basswood although I am not 100% sure on this. All I know is that it is a very solid body that can withstand damage that could probably break other guitars (I have dropped it about 3 times, all from a standing position, and everything still works fine. The finish on these guitars is excellent. My uncle has the exact same model as me, and the only difference between them is their serial number. The body is heavily based on a Strat body. The controls consist of a volume knob, tone knob, a model selector and what looks like a pickup-selector Switch, but this selects the model or pickup of guitar, corresponding with whatever the model-selector is set to. No pickups as this is a modelling guitar, there are some wires placed in the bridge with I am guessing pick up the vibrations, and a kind of on-borad computer system. This is a solid-bridge guitar. Non-locking tuners as Standard, but if the action is low on this guitar, it will be likely to stay in tune for longer. For the deal that I got, (cost 340 on Ebay) I got everything that would have came with the original packaging. The guitar, line6 heavily padded gig-bag, line6 footswitch module (needed to produce all of the sounds that are promised by Line6) and a cable. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my music style very well, I feel confident playing any of the styles I play whilst using this guitar knowing I can get almost any tone I want out of it. I play stuff like SRV, Led Zep, Metallica, and it works for all of them perfectly! Absolutely no unwanted noise what'soever, no buzz, no feedback. I'm not very hot on effects, I only ever use my Ibanez TS9 Turbo Tubescreamer and the effects built into my amp (Marshall MG50DFX). The varitey of sounds from this guitar is excellent, all very good models. A few good examples are the '59 Fender Strat Std., '58 Les Paul Standard and special, '61 Gibson ES-335 and even a Coral sitar, and Gibson Mastertone Banjo! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This would be a little hard for me to say as I bought it second hand, but when I bought it off eBay, apart from the packaging, everything looked Brand New (I think the guy I bought it off had stripped it down and cleaned it all up before posting it). The action was almost perfect, a little high for my liking, but it was very easy to adjust to my preference. For a Korean made guitar, everything was in good shape, no flaws with the finish, bridge, tuning pegs or wood quality. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used this guitar to play Live once, but I wasn't playing things that I would normally play. I was playing in a school concert in a massive church, I had rehearsed many times, and left it in the church for nearly a day, and it stayed in tune perfectly. The hardware seems to be very high quality to me, I've never had any problems and I don't doubt it in the slightest. The strap buttons are the only thing that I have a problem with. They are very small, hence the 2 of the 3 times I have dropped it. I don't understand why I haven't got around to buying straplocks for it like I have with the rest of my guitars. I would be very confident gigging with this without backup, I have had it for just over a year and have not encountered one problem apart from the strap buttons. The finish is one of the guitars best features. Very high quality, after dropping it 3 times, there is a slight rough area about 2 inches away from the top strap button after somebody knocked it off it's stand. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly blues and rock, and a bit of metal. This guitar can handle it all perfectly. I have been playing for possibly just under 4 years, I also own a '04 Gibson SG Standard, but I can honestly say I prefer my Variax 500 to it. I had already played the exact same model at my uncles house before I bought it, and I think I asked all of the questions before I sealed the deal. If it were stolen, I would definately buy another one just like this one, I love it that much. I just love how something that is so basic to use, and so cheap to buy has so much technology and potential right inside it. I can honestly say I could not wish for more from this product, it is just the perfect guitar for me! Thank you for taking the time to read my review, if anybody has any more questions about this guitar, or wishes to see a demo video etc, I would be more than happy to help you out as I know how hard it can be to choose the right guitar. // 10

More Line 6 reviews rating category latest review