Gazelle Review

7.4
review (1) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Gazelle Reviewed by: Marley Tokunaga, on july 22, 2010

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The Luna Athena series Gazelle is a semi-hollow body, 7 pound, Chinese made electric guitar. It has a sleek, fast, mahogany neck and an ebony fretboard with twenty-two frets and a scale length of 24 3/4", also, the nut width is 1 5/8". The body itself is made of maple with a paulowina top. It has a beautiful black gloss finish and the Luna logo on its headstock. The shape is kind of a LP shape but instead of the rounded cutaway the Luna boasts a spiked almost SG shape cutaway... Not that I'm comparing this guitar to a LP or SG... It wouldn't even stand up, haha. A custom matte nickel tailpiece and matte nickel tune-o-matic bridge float strings over two mini-humbucking pickups to locking Grover tuners. With a three way Switch and a seperate volume and tone knob this beautiful guitar came with a Luna gig bag, allen wrench, a four foot cable (estimated), and a spare pickguard. // 9

Sound: This guitar is mostly my writing and slow/soft rock guitar but I have also played death/apocalyptic metal with it. I also tuned down to drop c and played some Escape the Fate and Killswitch Engage with it, so I know that it can do a pretty wide range of sounds with it. I use a Vox AC30 and a Vox multi-effects pedal with this guitar and it sounds great... I would definately use this guitar for live gigs and shows (not without at least two backups though). Even though it only boasts mini humbuckers it packs a punch and has rather nice action, it's perfect for fast lead runs and has the tone for slow melodic riffs. It gives almost no feedback and gives a very mellow, full sound using flat wounds and a bright, zingy sound using roundwounds. I even cranked my distortion and gain up to the point where I could play along with Neurosis and Shrinebuilder nearly perfectly. This guitar can do a lot. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is really low.. But I also raised the bridge so I could play some rhythm and that worked really well too. While low, I had absolutely no fret buzz. The pickups were perfect but the protective plastic thing on top of them left marks when I took it off:P. There weren't any scratches or wrongly set up hardware on the guitar. I live in Hawaii though so my guitar has been exposed to a very humid climate and the pickups, strings, and pretty much all the metal has to be wiped down each time you play! Other than that the only thing I had to fix was tightening the nut at the input jack because it was a little loose and I changed out the strap buttons for straploks. Other than that this guitar was perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could definately withstand live playing. It seems very solid for a semi-hollowbody and the hardware has held up since I've bought it. I changed the strap buttons out and replaced them with straploks for obvious reasons. I wouldn't use this guitar without a backup... I wouldn't f****** do a gig without a backup, that's stupid, haha. The finish is a thick black gloss and will last for as long as I have the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all this guitar is beautiful. I play alternative and emo to apocalyptic metal and I think this guitar is a perfect match for me. I prefer my SG for metal though, it gives a slightly better sound for the genre. I own a Roland practice cube, a Vox AC30 tube amp, a Gibson Les Paul Custom (best guitar ever:D), an Epiphone SG, a crappy Glen Burton acoustic, and this guitar. If it were stolen I would definately buy another. I love everything about this guitar... Only thing I would want is probably a 24 fret fretboard instead of the 22. // 9

More Luna reviews rating category latest review
+ Andromeda Phoenix 4.2 Bass Guitars 01/28/2013