MB 1 Review

8.6
 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (2) 44 comments vote for this gear:
MB 1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 22, 2009

Features: First of all: I did not buy this guitar (yet). I don't have the money (yet). This guitar just got released as a limited edition guitar, so I thought it deserved a review on UG. Here's some overall information: Some people will recognise this guitar, it's the Matthew Bellamy signature guitar: The MB (Matt Bellamy) 1. It is made by Hugh Manson and his crew in his guitar shop in Exeter, Devon in the UK. He's the only manufacturer of this guitar. Hugh Manson made these guitars only for Muse's frontman Matt Bellamy, until now. Here some info I got from the website: -Alder Body -Birds Eye Maple Neck -Rosewood Fingerboard -MBK-2 Bridge Humbucker -Fernandes Sustainer Humbucking Neck Pickup -Fixed Bridge -Gotoh 510 Machine Heads -Kill Switch -Volume, Tone -Sustainer On/Off Switch -Sustainer Harmonic/Fundamental Switch -3-way Pickup Selector Switch -Manson Deluxe Logo Hard Case You can also order the guitar with a built in Kaoss Midi Control Screen, wich I don't find really necessary. If you like to experiment with your guitar, this is ideal for you. People that have seen Live performances by Muse, have probably noticed this small screen on the bottom of some of his guitars. For me ( a young, fresh guitar player) it has a bit too much features, I really want the guitar for the basic stuff. But experienced players will like every bit of that guitar. For now, you can order the guitar in Black, or for a 200 extra fee in Red Glitter. Note that there are no fret markings on the fingerboard! // 8

Sound: For those who know and like Muse, the guitar gives that famous Muse-sound. Of coarse it requires a Matt Bellamy for the authentic Muse sound, so you can give it a bit of your own taste. I repeat: I haven't bought this guitar, but I have heard Matt playing it. It's a custom made guitar, and Hugh Manson spent a lot of work making it. So it really works how it should, and gives a nice sound. For those not so familiar with Muse, they have a really different kind of style. They have songs that are pretty heavy (like Stockholm Syndrome, New Born... ), that are a bit futuristic (Fury, Invicible, Map of the Problematique), or just nice and perfect riffs (Plug In baby, Knights of Cydonia... ). All performed by the same guitars. Matt also has a Fuzz Factory built in, but that doesn't come with the guitar that's for sale. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Like I said, the guitar is custom made by Hugh Manson, he spent a lot of work in his guitars, they have to be made with great care. I don't have the guitar, so I can't check it in detail. Maybe it has some small flaws, like every guitar does. I wish I really had this guitar, so I could tell everything about it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well I think the guitar is perfect for Live performances, I'd like to recommend watching some Live performances by Muse. He uses a whole set of Manson Guitars. Also, Matt Bellamy is known for his intense Live stage playing, including running all over the stage, the famous Power Slide, heavy 'Rage Against The Machine'-style movements. // 9

Overall Impression: I like playing Muse song, but I'm also a great Metallica fan. I also play songs by ACDC, Foo Fighters, Kings Of Leon, Green Day, Tenacious D... The guitars can really play heavy (thanks to the nice MBK-humbucker). I have been playing guitar since September 2008, so that's not long. But I'm a Muse fan for a couple of years. At the moment I own a Cort G210, nice for starting to play electric, but as my skills grew, I was in the need of a better equipped guitar. The guitar has a bit of a Fender Telecaster model, so some people like calling it the Mattocaster, referring to Matt Bellamy. I'll say it again: I haven't bought the guitar, but if I had the money, I certainly will! Since it is a custom made guitar nd a signature guitar nd a limited edition, it's price is so high. The pirce ranges from 2999 to 3749, depending on what extra features you'd like. I kindly ask people that do own the guitar, to post a review too. So people can see the details and maybe more good or bad thing about it. Greetings. // 7

MB 1 Reviewed by: prof_samm, on september 24, 2009

Purchased from: Mansons guitar shop

Features: Made in exeter by Hugh Manson Specs- Alder Body Birds Eye Maple Neck Rosewood Fingerboard MBK-2 Bridge Humbucker Fernandes Sustainer Humbucking Neck Pickup Fixed Bridge Gotoh 510 Machine Heads Kill Switch Volume, Tone Sustainer On/Off Switch Sustainer Harmonic/Fundamental Switch 3-way Pickup Selector Switch Manson Deluxe Logo Hard Case // 10

Sound: The sounds this guitar can produce is limitless. I haven't yet purchased the necessary midi equipment to get the kaoss pad working at home but I had a play in the guitar shop when I picked it up and it was really fun. But even without the midi the guitar sounds amazing, the sustainer with harmonic mode means you can get some really strange sounds from it. If your into Muse you can here how matt does alot of his intro and improv's with it. I've only been playing for about 4 years and am not brilliant so my ear isnt great but it sounds good to me! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is flawless, you can tell alot of time has been put into it. I literally cannot pick faults in it except maybe the fret board could be smoother. Some of my bends at the top of the neck are getting a little bit sticky almost. I don't know if this will smooth out once its been played more or i just need to improve my bending but it feels easier on my Strat. Apart from that it is an amazing guitar which has been built to the highest Standard. // 8

Reliability & Durability: When I spoke to the shop assisstants at Mansons the assured me that this guitar is exactly the same as how Matt has his. Not alot of signature guitars are made exactly the same but this is. Its obvious it could withstand live playing as Matt Bellamy is a very extravegant guitar player and puts most of his guitars to the test. // 9

Overall Impression: I obviously play alot of Muse biut I like all kinds of music, from blues to metal and it works well with everything. Although it cost me my entire savings I have no regrets, it is sleek and beautiful and supprisngly light considering all the technology that is in it. I would reccomend buying it to anyone but don't expect it any time soon, mine was in the first group of 10 to be given out and it took 6 months to build after I paid the deposit. // 9

More Manson reviews rating category latest review
+ MBK2 Neck P-90 9.9 Pickups 10/24/2011