MS2000 STD Review

manufacturer: Maton date: 08/04/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Maton: MS2000 STD
The carved top model Mastersound has all the styling of a classic guitar with pickups that offer definition between the strings and high attack.
 9.4
 9.4
 9.3
review (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
MS2000 STD Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 04, 2008

Price paid: A$ 1800

Purchased from: Venue Music

Features: This gorgeous instrument was made right here in Australia, Box HIll in 2007. It has 22 frets on a 12" compound radius and a longer scale at 25.5", with jumbo fret wire as well. The Standard model of the MS2000 series has Dot inlays (the deluxe version has blocks). The 2000 series all have carve tops on them, and although mine is a high gloss black its almost transparent so you can still see the wood grain, and white binding compliments it nicely. The body and neck are made of solid Queensland maple and Queensland maple respectively, and, unlike the 500 series are a set neck. As far as i know too, the top of the body is made of rock maple, which adds a bit more colour to its sound. The matons are almost a cross between a les paul and an sg/strat, in that they have a double cutaway body but still look solid. She has a tone pro stop tailpiece and bridge, two passive Maton humbuckers (same as on the 503 model) but one with a coil tap. 2 tone (one with coil tap), 2 volume controls, a 3-way pickup selecter and chrome grover tuners really complete the whole package on this baby. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of different styles, anything from AC/DC to GN'R, Led Zepplin, The Eagles and all kinds of punk rock and metal too, and this monster handles it well. It has a really full, rich and crunchy sound no matter what style you play too, and with the inclusion of the coil tap it becomes a very versatile instrument. I play through a Zoom G2.1U FX unit to a small Fender frontman 65R most of the time and the sounds I can get out of the whole lot make me smile each time I plug in. The cleans sing nicely, with decent clarity on individual notes and when you pump up the gain this thing really shines, with a grunty and biting sound that leaves us rock enthusiasts very pleased. It has its own individual tone which makes it not only a beauty but very unique. When you pull up the coil tap the single coil can make a little bit of noise, which is my only beef but nothing that a noise gate can't fix. Overall I'm very pleased with the sound of this guitar, can cover a wide range of styles very very easily and always adds something extra. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up really well from the guys that I bought it from (maybe from the factory as well), pretty well ready to play out of the box. The action was pretty much spot on, the pickups adjusted well and the finish was absolutely flawless, and one of the judges from a battle of the bands contest went out of his way to comment on my guitar, saying "Nice Maton! That's a real beauty!" Everything was in great condition and I've had it for almost two years now and nothing has gone wrong or given me trouble. What else can you expect from an Australian instrument though right. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with it a number of times and no trouble whatsoever. The hardware is built to last, everything is solid as and again I've had it for almost two years now and still no issues with it. The strap buttons are quite big too, which makes it easier for the strap to hang on and I've never had it come off on me. Generally I will always bring a backup to a gig as you never know what's going to happen, but I guess I could make an exception for this. It's a solid, reliable instrument that has been built exceptionally well and is made to last, finish, hardware, the works. // 10

Overall Impression: Again I play a huge variety of music, punk rock, classic rock, metal and softer stuff too and this baby handles them all very well. I've been playing for 4 or 5 years now, owned a lot of different instruments and played it up against strats, SG's and this particular one won my heart. If someone pinched it I will hunt them down and beat them with my broken wah pedal, and I no doubts about buying this again. I love the sound, love the finish and the features, my only problem would be the noise on the coil tap, but apart from that it's magical. And I mean, come on, it's Australian, it's a Maton. Seriously, buy one of these guitars // 9

More Maton reviews rating category latest review
+ SRS70C 9.7 Acoustic Guitars 04/01/2014