MS500 Mastersound Review

manufacturer: Maton date: 02/07/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Maton: MS500 Mastersound
This guitar enjoys a strong reputation with its classic shape and vintage tone rated 98% by Australian Guitar Magazine.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 9.3
 9.2
 9.5
 8.9
reviews (3) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
MS500 Mastersound Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 13, 2004

Features: This excellent guitar was made in Australia, and Maton's very own Box Hill factory. It has 21 frets and is of a much smaller scale than say a Strat or Gibson style guitar, making it lighter also. It has a gorgeous red finish in a satin style which makes it almost immune to finger print marks etc. It has two standard product line Maton humbuckers that are controlled by a volume knob, tone knob and quite possibly the coolest selector Switch ever. Also one of those switches that makes the pickups either humbucker/single coil which is just plain jazzy. It has those off green plastic tuners that hold well and all Matons are fitted with a TonePros bridge which just looks swell. I didn't get any accessories I know of unless that cashier took them. One problem was maybe another tone or volume knob. // 8

Sound: I play crunchy rock alot of single or double note stuff and quite a few powerchords. The Maton is a dream for these styles as it feels like I'm playing nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all. I use it with a Laney and it sounds good as. The guitar would suit every style except for crazy death metal which I despise of course. The guitar is bright sounding and completely noiseless on both the HB/HI-FI setting and the SC/Midway setting. You'll know what I mean when you see the guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up both at the factory and by a professional outside the factory, Jim Timmins. Everything is done perfect, however there the neck is not totally flush with the body, and the bridge is slightly rusty (my fault I'm sure). // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take a beating, just ask John Toomey of Pacifier who uses one or should I say ABuses (clever I know) one when he plays. The hardware is clearly built to last, my only problemo being that when I tried to fit my $25 Dunlop strap a strap button came out easily fixed though. There are alot of chips on it due to the soft wood but the finish remains as smooth and sassy as when I bought it. The fingerboard is smooth as too. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar rocks in every sense of the word. I've been playing geetar for 3 years almost. If I lost it I would probably buy the better model, the MS2000 DX. I love the look and playability. I only wish that it was white and had a red pickguard. Man that would be awesome. I highly recommend this guitar. Billions of fish all over the world cant be wrong. // 8

MS500 Mastersound Reviewed by: Evilushka, on july 22, 2011

Features: I purchased this guitar in 2009 and it has since become my favourite thing in the world! I bought mine in Tobacco Sunburst and honestly loved it so much I sold my Les Paul Standard because I wasn't really playing it anymore because I had become so enamored with this baby. It has Grover tuner heads, bolt on neck with rosewood finger board with Dot inlays, 25.5 inch scale and 22 frets, and Maton MVHB humbucker (coil tap) Bridge pickup and the neck pickup is Maton MVSC single coil, controlled by single volume and tone knobs, Coil Tap Switch, and a funky 3 way chrome Rotary Selector Switch that just looks oh-so-cool and vintage, with settings of Cool, Mid-Way and Hi-Fi. Chrome stop tailpiece/bridge and a high gloss finish. The wood is a solid Australian tonewood and overall it has the appearance of a solid, well made guitar. // 10

Sound: I think this guitar could suit almost any style- it sounds great just clean, and just dreamy with chorus, tremolo fx, etc. It also has a great edge when played with distortion/overdrive and has a beautiful Vintage tone which I really love. Playing this through a tube amp is a match made in heaven and even combined with my Epiphone Valve Standard, it sounds gorgeous. I also play it with a Vox Valvetronix 100w amp and that too sounds great. I think it's suited to all sorts of music but strummy, rich sounds combined with a singing sustain for lead make it a very versatile guitar. Effects-wise, I use a CryBaby, a few different distortions and chorus, tremolo and really not much else but it really does suit just about everything albeit it probably not metal or particularly fast styles as the neck, whilst solid and lovely, isn't really for shreddding and isn't lacquered or fast. For recording, it sounds beautiful through an MBOX with ProTools 8. I also have a Line 6 GearBox that it sounds amazing with. The sound is ultimately what it's all about and it doesn't disappoint. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Matons have a good reputation for being well set up at the factory, and in the few years I have had this guitar, apart from changing the strings and a little cleaning, I haven't messed with it at all. Especially the action- it all seems lovely, the bridge, pickups, everything sounds and feels great. The tuning pegs are great, this guitar stays in tune so well you only really need to re-tune it if you bump them! Comfortable and whilst I am no expert on setting up guitars, I am a firm believer that if it ain't broke, don't fix it! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid, beautifully crafted and feels like it is built to last. I would not use a backup and should it ever be lost/damaged/stolen/whatever, I would buy another one as soon as I could. All the hardware- from the strap buttons to the knobs, feels like it is built to last. Maton have built their reputation through quality, beautiful tone and durability, and it feels like every guitar I have played of theirs has been given that TLC. They don't have a name as widely known as say a Fender or a Gibson, but in some ways I feel they are superior. Put a Fender around your neck, then put one of these around your neck and I think you will see what I mean! // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from rock to Indie and sometimes some heavier punk/ punk rock styles, and love Vintage tone, so in many ways this is the ideal guitar for me. I think everyone except a die-hard metal head will appreciate the tone and quality of this guitar. Well, they may appreciate it, it just might not suit their needs. I use this guitar for all styles, but for more heavy stuff swap to a Jag HH. As previously stated, I would replace this guitar ASAP if anything ever happened. I love everything about this guitar - it just sounds great, with a clean tone, with fx, recording or through an amp. It just feels so well made and comfortable and is a joy to play. // 10

MS500 Mastersound Reviewed by: grady.truchelut, on february 07, 2014

Purchased from: Music Mart

Features: Beautiful solid body in vintage sunburst 2 tone gloss finish. The finish doesn't seem to think and plastic like some can be. 2 volume, 1 tone, 3 way selector (Cool, Midway, HiFi) plus a coil tap. Neck PU is a P90 style single coil and bridge is a splittable humbucker at roughly 14k. Tune-o-Matic bridge (I think Maton uses Tone Pros), Grover pearl button tuning keys. It came with a beautiful tweed case with brass Maton name plates and lovely fluffy purple-ish interior. I'm not sure of the exact year on this but it's the 50th Anniversary model with 1958 inlaid at the 12th fret. I would assume 2008-2013. I purchased it in Dec. 2013. // 10

Sound: This guitar would probably suit just about any style of music including metal. I've been playing everything from country to metal with it since I got it. It will squeal nicely with pick harmonics and chunk rhythm with the best of them. The bridge humucker is nice and fat sounding with plenty of sparkle and articulation like the best vintage Gibson pickups. How did they do that? It's not noisy at all really but for high gain stuff, best to use the bridge humbucker with the coil tap off. I've been using this mostly in the studio so far with a Fender Roc Pro 1000 and a Fender Pro Fr. It also sounds good with amp modeling software on my Macbook Pro. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish and setup on this guitar are among the best I've ever seen on a new instrument. Action was just right from the factory. I changed the factory strings for a new set and checked the intonation. It was spot on. Perfect. It also stays in tune better than most guitars I've owned including expensive Fenders and Gibsons. This is a very very well made instrument. The body seems to be one piece so it's fine looking. The yellowish sunburst 2 tone is nice visually and has a nice calming appearance. It looks and feels like it was made with the utmost care. There aren't enough words to describe how nice this guitar is overall. Not a flaw in workmanship or setup I could detect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As well as this is put together, I seriously doubt it will give me issues. That said, I've only owned it short time. The strap buttons seem solid and have a nice design that should keep me from having to change them to strap locks which I do not like. The bridge and hardware are high quality and shouldn't tarnish or rust too much. I don't have corrosive sweat like some people so this isn't something that's likely to become as issue for me. The finish, though it doesn't seem overly thick and plasticy still seems tough and should last if it's well cared for. // 10

Overall Impression: I've played guitar for over 30 years and have owned more guitars than I care to take time listing. I currently own 3 Gibsons, a vintage Electra Outlaw, and a '77 Alvarez. I have played everything from funk to metal over the years. I think this guitar would do any style I would ever need and then some. It's extremely versatile in tone and plays just awesome! I love the fact that the Australian Silver Silkwood is light and beautiful with this finish. The neck shape and width are perfect for me. The only other guitars that matter to me are Gibsons and this is right up there with them... or possibly better. I think the finish is a little nicer and the setup slightly better. If I lost this or it was stolen, I would do everything I could to get it back and would buy another if I had to. These aren't that easy to get in the US so the thought of losing it scares me quite a bit! // 10

More Maton reviews rating category latest review
+ SRS70C 9.7 Acoustic Guitars 04/01/2014