MS503 Mastersound Review

manufacturer: Maton date: 08/01/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Maton: MS503 Mastersound
Similar in design to the MS502, the MS503 offers a more vintage style appearance with chrome pickup covers on the MKII pickups that produce a warm clean tone.
 8.3
 8.9
 7.7
reviews (2) 11 comments vote for this gear:
MS503 Mastersound Reviewed by: Aj1991, on july 14, 2006

Purchased from: Custom Music

Features: This guitar was made in Australia around the 2003-2005 area and is the best thing I have ever bought. This guitar looks is alot like a Gibson Les Paul crossed with an SG but has its own very unique style about it. It has a amazing Australian tonewood body with a gloss finish and black pickguard that is complimented with a bolt on Queensland maple neck with a 12 inch radius rosewood fretboard and dot inlays. And let me tell you I dont want this baby getting scratched. It has 21 jumbo wire frets. It has 2 chrome covered humbuckers, a MHB1 humbucker for the bridge and for the neck it has a MHN1. It has two volume control knobs and one tone control knob. It also packs a 3-way rotary Switch and one coil tap switch. It also has a chrome stop tail piece and bridge and grover machine heads. Enough said I love the features of this guitar and it has had my music teacher in aww aswell. // 10

Sound: Even though I only have a small Fender 15 watt amp this guitar sounds great and have used it with some mackie amps and PA System and it also sounds great. I mainly play rock music but this beast delivers what ever I'm playing. Wether its through my effects unit or not I can create a lot of different tones with the rotary switch and tone knob. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have only had this guitar for about 6 months now and the only thing that hay went wrong was a broken string. I contained no real flaws and I'm yet to find one. Due to the grover machine heads I have only had to tune it 3 time that I have had it. The only thing have found is that the black pickgaurd shows finger prints easily but you could hardly say that is a problem. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Though I haven't played live with it yet because I used to play bass in the band I'm in but I believe it would handle a gig buetifully and I would definetly use it without backup. It has a nice thick finish and it has huge strap buttons that are atleast twice the sice of a strats and I dont believe I will put strap locks on it at this stage. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar and bass about a year or more and rock has mainly been my style and the Maton definetly delivers rock tones and towers over the other guitars owned by other kids at my school. E.g. a BC Rich or an Epiphone Les Paul and I wouldn't trade it for a Strat or Les Paul. If it was stolen I would consider suicide or murdering the bastard who stole it. I love this guitar because it has no flaws and I wouldn't change a thing and I can hang shit on my mates guitars. Enough said this is a great guitar and was worth every cent. // 10

MS503 Mastersound Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2008

Price paid: A$ 1200

Purchased from: Better Music

Features: Maton is one of the few Australian guitar manufacturers, so part of the motivation for this purchase was to support an Aussie company. The guitar uses Queensland Maple in the (bolt-on) neck; has a Les Paul body style but with a flat top (and I should mention Maton's lovely headstock is very distinguishable from other brands). It has two Maton humbuckers, with a coil tap in the neck, plus two volume and a single tone, and a 3 way selector. These features are all quite high quality and perhaps the only thing the guitar is missing (except a tremolo arm for those inclined) is the extra coil tap in the bridge you get on some of Maton's other guitars. I should also mention the scale is smaller then the norm: great if you have small fingers like I do, otherwise it might be a pain in the neck (pun not intended) for others. // 8

Sound: The MS503 is beautifully suited to my tastes in music, which are mostly of the classic rock variety, but go to a few extremes. On the one hand, I can flick on the coil tap and get a clean twang for country rock and blues, on the other I can Switch back to the humbuckers and get a warm bridge sound for jazz, or a heavy sound from the neck. I have Roland 30watt Cube which can simulate different amps such as a Vox, Marshall, etc and the guitar responds well under these different settings. On the amp's regular sound, the guitar can still pull off a variety of different tones. It is however quite noisy on the bottom end, the low E often drowns out the others, whether this is just a string problem I don't know, but it's a pain having to turn down the bass all the time. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is smooth and low, and with the aforementioned small scale I find it a joy to play. There was a single small dent on the body, but otherwise no blemishes. One downer is that the guitar rattles occasionally when the bass strings are played, (again suggesting it has dodgy strings). The finish is quite pleasant, and the black pickguard goes well with the burgundy colour, giving it an SG vibe. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've yet to gig with this guitar, but I would anticipate it holds up well. The switches don't easily get hit by downstrokes during energetic playing, the strap buttons were so solid I had trouble getting my strap on. I wouldn't gig without having a backup because I'm not sold on those strings, I'd be afraid of one breaking on me. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is ultimately, for its price, very suited to me and my tastes in music. The action and scale are perfect for my hands, the weight is light enough that I can move around while playing, and despite my issues with the strings it gives great sounds. The variety of music it can generate from the use of the coil tap is fantastic. I wouldn't encourage everyone to buy one, but if you have the same musical desires as me it would be a fantastic purchase. // 9

More Maton reviews rating category latest review
+ SRS70C 9.3 Acoustic Guitars 04/01/2014