F-1 Review

manufacturer: Maverick date: 08/13/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Maverick: F-1
The beloved F-1 continues to be the choice of an ever increasing number of discerning players and is still the company's fastest selling model. Hand creafted by a dedicated team of skilled workers the F-1 offers a genuine alternative to today's and tomorrow's guitarists the world over.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.6
 Features: 9.2
 8.5
 7.9
reviews (7) 4 comments vote for this gear:
F-1 Reviewed by: loki_lulamen, on february 21, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar Peddler

Sound: I play mostly metal but I also play anything ranging from blues to jazz. The neck pickup gives a nice deep, rich sound for jazz, or any mellow rock. The bridge pickup on the other hand has a slight crunch to it so it gives a nice blues sound, I play through a Boss MT-2 and a Behringer Ultrabass BX600 (yes it's a bass amp but I love the sound) it bites like a bitch. The sound is superb but it's only pit fall is that I have a bit of trouble making it squeal when I pinch. This guitar has alot of variety but it is designed purely for modern rock/metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar everything was set up perfectly I haven't had to get anything changed apart from having the floyd balanced for Drop D. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable, and nothing has gone wrong in the few gigs I have played with it. Although due to the floyd rose I would suggest bringing a backup guitar because if you break a string your kinda stuck. // 10

Overall Impression: If you play metal/hard rock you need this guitar. I have 3 other guitars a Squier Strat, a Samick Flying V, and a Yamaha acoustic. Since I bought this guitar a year ago I haven't played the Strat at all, and I only play the V because it is in Drop C. If it was stolen I would spend the rest of my living days hunting down the motherf--ker and I would make them suffer to their last breath! // 10

F-1 Reviewed by: Bighair, on april 15, 2009

Features: This guitar was designed in England but made in Korea. It features 24 medium sized frets so the player can get high up the neck for those tricky high register solo's. The neck is a slim, maple bolt-on neck which is so smooth it literally allows my hand to glide along it effortlessly. The body is made from basswood, and is very thin and light. My model is a beautiful bright Pink superstrat, I would choose it over any Ibanez model anyday. Floyd Rose bridge allows you to perform all those Van Halen/Dimebag divebombs. It features two custom Maverick open black humbuckers. I love the different volume and tone controls on this guitar, it's nice to have a change from Standard knobs from time to time. It features a 3-way pickup selector and locking Maverick tuners. I recieved a gig bag with my purchase. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of classic rock, classical, metal and blues through a Marshall JCM 900 half stack, and this guitar is versatile enough to play all these styles with ease and still sound good. The neck pickup provides a very smooth tone for shredding solo's or when playing clean, whereas switching to the bridge pickup provides you with the grit and aggrssion to power through those metal chops. It can handle any sound you want. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As much as I like this guitar, the factory set up was appalling. The strings were catching on the frets and muting the notes when played. The guitar also went out of tune when I went past the 12th fret. The Floyd Rose was set up so bad that it wouldn't move and the pickup selector was loose, resulting in loss of tone while I was playing. When attempting to find Maverick to complain about this, I discovered that the company had disapeared and their web domain had been sold. It has all been fixed now and I have a great guitar. Not impressed though. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has a great tone and build, I would confidently play it Live and I'm sure it would sound great. The hardware is pretty solid, I doubt it'll need repair for a long time. The strap buttons are fixed solid and won't come loose. I would happily use it at a gig without a backup. The finish is good, I doubt that it will wear for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a very versatile guitar and can handle any kind of sound through a decent amp. I have been playing for 6 years now and I only buy a guitar if I really like it, I've had too many bad ones in the past and I've learned from. I wish I had asked how I could get in contact with Maverick before I bought the guitar, because they've disapeared. If it was stolen, I would track down the person stole it and beat them round the head with a pointy stick. This guitar is too good to lose, and as Maverick are not making guitars anymore, I view it as a bit of a collecters piece. It is as good as any Ibanez I have ever played. // 8

F-1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2005

Features: The pickups are humbucker, there are 24 frets which are medium my tremello is a Floyd rose product (it's awsome). The neck is rosewood and the body basswood, it has a laminated top which is blue. My controls are 3-way. And when I purchased this I got the amp for 1 pound yes 1 pound! And it's not bad either it's a Fender Champion 300 worth 200 and I got a gig case free. // 10

Sound: It suits my music needs really well because I listen to and play mainly Iron Maiden and Metallica songs which usually have a lot of distortion involved and this guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The Tremelo broke after a day and thats it everything else is fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Since I've never used my guitar in a gig I won't answer that question but it keeps it's cool after long hours of killing it seems to have lasted quite a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I'm glad I chose it but I would recommend it to people who my sort of music because it can get a bit rowdy sometimes. I would not get it again if it was stolen. I have compared it to a 15 year old Jackson Kelly which sounded better but it was a bit battered so it was second choice. // 8

F-1 Reviewed by: senui, on june 28, 2007

Features: This is the latest incarnation of the F1 and it's improved features. Cool Black sparkling paintwork, two piece Basswood body, bolt on neck, one piece hand carved maple neck with AAA grade rosewood fingerboard, 24 jumbo frets and a Floyd Rose licensed tremolo. It's got the unique Evolution roller controls which are pretty useful, although you can't get killswitch effects a la Tom Morello because it only has one volume control (and one tone of course). Design looks cooler than your Standard Ibanez Rg or Jackson superstrat shape, well contoured, comfortable, light and all handcarved, the cut aways and sculpted neck joint really give perfect access to all 24 frets. Two humbuckers, not sure whether alnico or ceramic (designed with Trevor Wilkinson) three way pickup Switch and good smooth tuners, all Maverick's own. Decent strap buttons but I still prefer to have strap locks on 'em. Nothing fancy like binding or flamed maple tops so I give it an 8. // 8

Sound: I normally play rock, metal and a bit of punk, always as distorted as the amp will go, without to much bass and plenty of mid. I use it through a Behringer GMX1200H head in rehearsals and through Spider 2 30w when practicing. This guitar has great sustain for a Floyd Rose equipped guitar with a basswood body due to the one piece neck and tight fitting neck joint. Screaming pickups with great tone, great bass response for palm muting and pinch harmonics jump right out. Great distorted, bridge pickup really screams while the neck is much smoother for sweeps and a blusier and heavier tone. The licensed Floyd Rose is really nice and smooth, always perfectly in tune, great for those dimebag squeals and crazy effects. The clean tones on this guitar are great, which makes me think these are alnico pickups, the bridge is more twangy while retaining a heavy bottom end and the neck is much bassier, roll of the tone and you get a great blues tone. These stock retain their clarity even at high gain and are really sensitive to how hard you pick, rolling off the volume control carefully you can get them nearly clean even from serious distortion. They have me seriously considering never bothering to change them. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was really well set up when I bought it, although that was in a shop and ordering off the internet is probably a different story. Action was nice and low and the Floyd rose was set up perfectly. Really fast neck, apparently the fastest in production, with well finished frets and nice inlays (dunno what they are, could be bone). Really well made guitar, all hand carved. The nickle hardware oxidises quite quickly but it's not noticeable and it makes it look cool and worn eventually anyway. Paint work seems to get damaged fairly easily, although I am a bit clumsy with it, it has already chipped a bit, but this is mostly due to the softer basswood body, so just have to be careful not to bang it too hard on something. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This would definitely withstand Live playing, it is a solid well made guitar, definitely the same or better quality than much more expensive brands like Ibanez and totally whips any pretenders to the 'lower price range' throne like ESP's LTD range or something like squire or Epiphone. This guitar rrp's for 550 btw although it can easily be found for cheaper. Like I said the body is something to be careful with as it's not made of mahongany or anything and although the paint is thick and a smooth finish and it's not gonna wear down or anything, it is prone to get dented from a hard bash. Apart from that the hardware is great, one of the best licensed Floyd Rose trems I've tried, has a push in trem arm so it doesnt't wobble about, strap buttons are decent and the top one will never unscrew annoyingly as it is built in to the body. I would gig without a backup as the only thing that is going to go wrong with this guitar is breaking a string, which is a pain with a floyd rose, so always best to have a backup really. // 9

Overall Impression: This is an amazing metal guitar from a small British make, great hardware, great sound, great design. Would definitely recommend this over even the top end stuff from Ibanez and Jackson, as even if the Maverick loses out on a couple of things like not having a flamed maple top, or dimarzio pickups (nobody wants EMG's anyway so lets not mention them) it is way cheaper and much better value for money. A super fast neck and a feel like something way more expensive in my opinion. it's also really versatile, and although it might look odd playing jazz with a guitar that looks like this, it can definitely be done. This guitar is definitely better than anything in this price range, it's unique and a bit different. I would definitely buy this guitar again, but I would probably venture in to the different designs like the X1. // 9

F-1 Reviewed by: .:eranu:., on september 13, 2007

Purchased from: sounds great music

Features: 24 jumbo frets, 25" one piece, canadian maple neck. It has a very fast thin neck with a rosewood fretboard. It is bolt-on to a basswood, superstrat shaped body, that gives a very warm clean sound and a beafy distorted tone. The hardwear includes Maverick A type humbuckers, Maverick liscenced Floyd Rose Floating trem, Maverick tuners, 3-way toggle Switch, and two roller contrl knobs (volime & tone). My red F-1 is the best guitar I have ever played. The guitar is perfectly balanced, which is very helpfull concidering the heavier woods. The Floyd Rose is my favourite part of the guitar beecause of the tuning stability it provides, and even if you may not want to use the whammy bar I would recomend the Floyd as the greater tuning stability and the option of the whammy if you may change your mind greatly overpowers the HardTail variation. Taking this in mind because the bridge is Floyd Rose pro style bridge rather than original it limits the extremety of whammy bar use. Although the range of the bridge are adiquate it may be a little dissapointing for some of the more adventurous guitarists. Concidering the cost of the guitar the features on the guitar are quite substantial and beat most of the competion in terms of quality for virtually any guitar in that price range. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits most styles extremely well. I play any type of music ranging from soulfull blues and rock, to heavy metal. The neck pickup provides a very warm and full tone that is well balanced but maybe a bit biased towards the bass. The bridge pickup is nice and bright but isnt very well balanced and may require a new pickup if you really want to nail the blues and metal sounds properly as the lower strings can really rumble through a powerfull amp and the higher strings are far on the other side of the scale. The pickups are moderate output and are passive and don't produce much significant background noise unless through extreme gain which is expected. The guitar's sustain isnt the best iv heard but harmonics are still easily acsessed and are sustainable for a fair length of time under moderate distrotion. Overall it has a good range of sounds and the only problems I could really find with the sound come down to personal taste and all these problems can be easily sorted if you spend a bit of money on the guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: First of all the guitar is beautifuly curved and shape and is a very imaginative variation on the simple Strat shape. The finish was perfect when I got it and the colour was so bright and vibrant. Pictures really don't do this guitar justice it looks so much better in the 'flesh'. The guitar came well set up except for the bridge. This may have been because it was a display model and I can't really comment on the models straight out of the box although iv come to expect the best from Maverick so I can only assume. The bridge was leaning quite a way forward from the body but I learnt how to adjust it and did it my self the it was fine excpt the intonation on the one of the strings was slightly out which also I adjusted quite easily thanks to help from Total Guitar magazine and UG forums. Once the bridge was sorted everything was perfectly set up and the action was low perfectly complimenting the slim neck. But after about half a year of using my Maverick the bridge pickup has started randomly loosing volume I assume this is a wiring problem but after looking I can't really find a problem so I am goingto take it to the shop to have it checked out. Despite the problems in the hardwear the guitar is amazingly well made and finished to a Standard of higher price ranged guitars. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has survived Live playing since iv had it and I'm not scared of an problems with the strap buttons or any other part of the guitar. The only problem iv had with it Live is the pickup. I would use it Live without a backup but until I get the pickup sorted I doubt that would be wise. The guitar doesnt't looked aged one bit and the only sign that it's not new is the thin layer of dust around the tuning pegs that now find them selves often unused for long periods of time. The feels pretty damn hardy when you play with it Live and the finish seems like it would take a pretty hefty bump to chip it. // 9

Overall Impression: My music style is a mixture of hard rock and metal with lots of bluesy ideas mixted with any sound I find interesting to listen to so I have a very wide range of sounds in my playing so I need a very versitile guitar and this guitar fits perfectly. I have been playing for 4 years now and have never played a guitar which I fell so comfortable playing. I use it along my Randall RG75 amplifier and a Boss CH-1 pedal which I use very infrequently. If this guitar was stolen I would most definately buy another one as this guitar is my perfect match and for me beats many guitar which cost much much more. I wish this guitar came with a more expensive brother that had top of the range hardwear and a choice of pickups, that is if I had enough money to buy one. So dispite all the problems and difficulty iv had with this guitar I love it too much to be petty with things that can fixed easily. This is my favourite guitar in the world! So in my opinion it's is a 10 overall but to be unbiased I have taken into account all the things that would put a neutral buyer off this guitar. // 9

F-1 Reviewed by: AngryGoldfish, on january 28, 2008

Purchased from: Lemington Spa

Features: This is a Korean made guitar and has unfortunately stopped distributing(for the moment). It was originally made back in early 1999 and has a two piece centre joint basswood and uses the genius idea of roller ball volume and tone controls, which haven't been used since very early Fender Jaguars. The neck is a shallow C neck made of one piece Canadian maple, bolt on with a AAA Indian Rosewood fingerboard. The Licensed Floyd Rose is very sturdy and the corresponding diecast 16:1 ratio Machineheads, polished nickel hardware and locking nut, controls the tuning exceedingly well. The brilliant fret excess to all 24 jumbo frets and the double cutaway Strat style shape aid the ability to shred all over the fret board. The 25 inch neck scale works fluidly with sweeping and other guitar techniques. The pickups are Maverick's own brand called A-Type humbuckers and are passive and sound superior to any other guitar I have played. For the price especially. They are fixed in the bridge and neck position with 3 way toggle Switch and two roller ball designed volume and tone controls. Which work greatly and look cool as hell! // 10

Sound: I play alternative Heavy rock, soft jazzy rock and everything else under the sun. This is an extremely diverse guitar that uses its excellent humbucker pickups to great effect. I found the most lush tone was in the bridge pickup with medium to high gain on an VOXAD30VT amplifier with the tone rolled back ever so sightly as it can be a little sharp and brittle for my taste at high volumes when the tone is maxed. When using a clean setting, of course the neck pickup feels like it is stroking fine silk. Especially when you add reverb to the mix and roll back the tone even more. The pickups work so well in clean, both bridge and neck. This applies to a crunch setting also. The Harmonics don't ring out as notably and are harder to pick up than other guitars but that is only a very minor issue. It is is ever so quiet when you remove your fingers from the strings, very little feedback, made sure by the help of Trevor Wilkinson. I prefer the amplifier's distortion and don't use many effects personally, Tremelo and reverb and that's about it but they complement the sound generously. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up of the action was superb, intonation, tuning and the bridge alignment was all perfect as well. The pickups were placed in as accurate as possible, I don't see how they can sound much better than they do. There are no flaws in the finish or back panels and in any of the routing. All the numerous, stylish cutaways are perfectly shaped and add to comfort for knee, standing and seated practise. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was built like God built humans. With such dedication and beauty. The strap buttons are solid for jumping around crazily and the finish was immaculate down to the little sparkly dots sprayed lightly over the glossy black finish. Non of the hardware has any signs of oxidising and I've played it solid for a whole year now. The pickup selector is loose and can sometimes be knocked into a different position but that is only minor. I would easily take this guitar to Download(if I were doing that)and feel proud and safe. I would bring other guitars on stage but I use different tunings anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: There is not another guitar on the planet that I have yet found that matches up to this beautiful beast. I try and play everything, Slipknot, Muse, Deftones, System Of A Down, Metallica, John Lee Hooker, Hendrix, Beethoven, Biffy Clyro, Interpol, The Strokes, it does them all exquisitely. I've been playing electric for about two and a half years now and I have a Schecter 7 string Omen Extreme, Epiphone Les Paul Custom 1979 eddition and a few other cheaper guitars like a Fender acoustic and a Fender Squire Strat, it beats them all in every way. I don't intend on loosing this or letting it be stolen and I would certainly perish if it did. Its variety of tone, characterful design, immaculate construction, cheapness and everything else are just perfect for me. I would of preferred to of got the other Maverick model that has a single coil in the middle position for even more variety of tone! But this is the best guitar I have ever played, ever, I feel lucky to own one. // 10

F-1 Reviewed by: BCRICHGIBSON, on august 13, 2010

Purchased from: EBAY

Features: As I brought this guitar from ebay I don't have clue to what year it was made in, but I do know that mavericks are designed in england, made in korea, which is better than being Chinese. This bad boy has 24 fret rosewood fingerboard with a polyurethane maple neck. Its a solid basswood body, which is of good quality and it sustains very well. The finish of the guitar is a just a gloss black which looks very good with the chrome hardware and and roller volume pots. Its a superstrat shape with a licensed floyd rose, on which Maverick have engraved their name into. It has passive electronics but there might not be enough room to fit a 9volt in the back. The controls given are 1 volume and one tone which are on side tilted pots making them into rollers. The pickups which were in mine were bare-knuckle warpigs which I have to say are very good pickups indeed. Tuners are mavericks own which are very good quality and have a good ratio, not to sure what it is though. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of heavier music with this guitar as I have tuned down to drop C. But with the pickups installed it has a great warm distorted sound which are close to emg's (the industry standard) they have alot of bite too, clean they are head and shoulders above emg's with deep lows and crisp detailed highs. With it I use a Vox ad-100vt-xl a rare Vox amp which is very good for heavier music which is just plugged straight into the guitar. It will do anything that's not for single coils or p90's, so anything rock really? Its not noisy in any way. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: No idea how it was from factory brought it second hand, but at the moment I have the action very low and there isn't the slightest bit of buzz which is great the pickups I adjusted myself so I can't really comment on that "/ there aren't any flaws in this guitar at all but the pick up selector is ever so slightly louder than I'd like it to be which, is slightly annoying but it does not come through the system so, not so bothered. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Will it withstand live playing- yes its built rather well and stays in tune perfectly Does the hard ware seem like it will last- yeah I reccan it will outlast me and I'm only 15! I wouldn't gig without a backup though... Floyd roses are notorious for going a bit doo-laa to say the least and your screwed, but if I wasn't making money out of a gig say someones garden, private party, I would gig just with that its very good indeed. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hard rock-metal, blues-jazz. And it suits the first three great. I have been playing for just under 2 years and I own a Gibson sg, patrick eggle berlin, and a Godin LG EMG and a load of Boss effects and a Vox wah pedal which all sound awesome through this guitar. If it was to get stolen I would most probly cry and then find the chap who nicked it and get it back. Or search the web for another, but., I do wish it had a original floyd don't know if it would make much difference though as this one is pretty damn good. I love the sculpted body and neck profile, hate I couldnt get one new "/ much better than say a Jackson dinky, ke3's or the evl corts and the Epiphone prophecy things, cheap Chinese rubbish. // 9

More Maverick reviews rating category latest review
+ F-3 8.8 Electric Guitars 08/03/2011