F-3 Review

manufacturer: Maverick date: 08/03/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Maverick: F-3
The F-3 comes fitted with custom built Floyd Rose tremolo system which provides stability even under extreme use.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 8.8
 9.7
 7.8
reviews (3) 8 comments vote for this gear:
F-3 Reviewed by: Jonny02, on april 12, 2006

Features: This guitar was assembled in Korea but by the build quality you would never expect this, it truely is far better than you would expect from the price tag. Is has 24 frets, a AAA indian rosewood fingerboard which is pretty much unheard of on a guitar of this price. First thing that struck me was the simalarity to Ibanez guitars (Superstrat design, dual humbuckers) but I think this out performs some of even the prestige sereies Ibanez models. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds phemnomanal! Thanks largly 2 the amazing pickups which are hand wired in Britain by Maverick's specialists. It's really made for rock but provides a decent blues tone if you back off your gain a little. The bridge pickup gives a searing lead tone and the neck a brilliant crunch perfect for metal or grunge. I play this through a Marshall AVT100 and they compliment each other perfectly. My one and only gripe with this guitar is the unresponsive tone control making it unsuitable for jazz or certain blusey tunes. Overall brilliant though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was flawlessly set up and has required no tweakin in the 10 joyous months since I got it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I played a gig with this didn't touch when I got home and the next day it was still in tune. That gives some idea as 2 how reliable a guitar this is. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play rock but dabble in blues and jazz as well the guitar is awesome for rock and metal but not so good for blues and jazz. It sounds amazin through my Marshall which is a solid state I haven't played it through a valve amp yet but I think it would be equally class. Fav feature has 2 be the awesome pickups on this my one niggle is the crappy tone control. This is a seriously good guitar and anyone looking for brilliant tone and looks on a budget cant go far wrong here. // 10

F-3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 19, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I won't go into the features too much as you can get them from maverickguitars.co.uk or look at a photo. I got this 2004 model off eBay. They are made in the far east and then finished in the UK I think, but I don't care really as the build quality is alot higher than I would expect to pay 599 for. I'd usually expect to pay 1000+ for this type of finish. It's got 24 frets and a mega fast neck, but bear in mind that if you get one, the factory set up is not optimal if you like playing metal/thrash etc. you'll have do have a fiddle yourself or get a pro to do it (cost about 20 and a set of strings). If you get it right, the action is as low as you're gonna get for a Strat with a floating trem (try sitting the trem a little lower aswell if you can to get the action down further). Controls are good. No noise or crackling, but don't be fooled by the roller controls. They look cool and are handy to be built the way they are but they'll take a bit to get used to. You also get a bit confused when switching between the Maverick and say a Les Paul where you have "knobs" instead of the rollers and end up sometimes doing the wrong thing. Pickups loud as hell, very good with loads of gain so if you like metal and pinch harmonics etc. it's just the job, beleive me. Trem. is a floyd so if you've never used one before they can take some time to get properly settled in when putting a new set of strings on and can take a while. Once done though, doesn't go out of tune. Again your guitar setup should take carer of it if the factory hasn't done it already (I've got 3 springs in with gauge 9's and it never goes out of tune, unless I'm being stupid with it). // 10

Sound: Sound suits all my styles, rock, blues, funk, jingly jangly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setup as mentioned not optimal for metal. But don't blame Maverick, it's very good for blues and Pink Floydy, jingly jangly stuff (I'm giving it a 9 purely because as a "shredding" guitar I want a "shredding" factory setup). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Never broke, never let me down, always does what I want. No problems. I did overtighten the top lock nut and nackered the threads on the screw cost about 50p. My fault but would be nice to have higher quality bolts for the top lock nut. // 9

Overall Impression: For me and I like fast guitars I can't think of anything better for the price. Maybe an F-1 if I'm honest as it's cheaper and I like metal so don't use the other pickups much. Other than that consider it seriously if your looking for a Superstrat. Your'e going to be hard pressed to get anything better for less than a grand let alone half as much! If someone nicked it or it got lost I'd definately get another. Like what else are you gonna get? A Ibanez RG1570? // 10

F-3 Reviewed by: S McAllister, on august 03, 2011

Purchased from: Dealer in England

Features: The one I got is maybe from the tail end of Mavericks production before they shut up shop for good. I am guessing 2008/2009. Transparent amber burst alder body with 24 fret 1 piece maple neck. Rosewood finger board. Standard Dot inlay markings with cream binding. Classic H-S-H configuration with 5 way selector. Evolution roller style tone and volume controls. Floyd Rose Bridge and locking nut. Super Strat style body but with nice contouring. Machine heads are mavericks own as is Bridge but nicely engineered. Pickups are apparently duncan designed. A very capable feature set here. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds great through any good tube amp. If you play it unamplified you get nice resonant tones and good sustain before you even plug it in. That is always a good sign. The pick ups are really pretty good for stock pickups. I meter measured their output from the Bridge pickup and it came out as pretty much the same output strength as a DiMarzio fred. The tonal quality was obviously different though. Still the stock pick ups are beefy and have pretty good bite. Also they are fairly quiet as well. The different pickup selection options allow you to cover lots of different sonic territory. This is a great rock guitar but the single coil in the middle position allows you to cover funk, cleans and some blues tones that the F-1 can't quite touch with only two humbuckers. I have run mine into a mesa triaxis and 50/50 power amp, an Engl e 530 with a Carvin ts100 and any number of Marshall heads and all of them sounded great. I use a Keeley ds and Vox Satchurator and Boss gt 6 for additional tone shaping. All work great with the guitar. I would say this guitar is almost a 10 sound wise but I'm giving a 9 here just for the simple fact that if I were to change one thing on this guitar it would be the pickups for proper dimarzios but I'm really struggling to find anything to mark this guitar down on. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar had probably sat in it's quiet rural shop for a couple of years before I got hold of it and when it arrived I needed to give it a good clean string change and set up but I always do that when I get new guitars anyway. They are never ready from a shop set up even if they claim they are. I did have to adjust pretty much everything including truss rod, Bridge height, intonation, trem springs to get it spot on, but not by massive margins. THe Standard of the finish overall however was first class. Transparent paint finishes are often the preserve of prestige lines as they show up flows or inclusions much more readily than a Standard fill colour but the finish on mine was gorgeous and immaculate. The frets were nicely finished. No edges or burrs on them anywhere. The binding has been nicely done. Getting cent perfect intonation across a whole fretboard is quite a rare thing on guitars but this gets as close as any I have used/owned. In fact I have tried more expensive guitars that were finished much more poorly than this one. Now the parts were manufactured in korea but assembly and quality control took place in the uk from what I gather and I think that has made a huge difference to the Standard of build here. Very good job. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would say that this guitar is eminently gig worthy and I am pretty confident it will cope with regular use and frequent gigging. The only thing I have noticed which maybe hints at something that will deteriorate a bit more rapidly over time than I am used to is the nickel hardware. I have this guitar and another Maverick which is an f1 and on both they are showing the slightest signs of oxidation in a few tiny areas on the nickel silver metal. So far it has buffed off easily but there are a couple of very tiny pit marks showing. Now these guitars are no more than three years old and similar nickel hardware (on an Ibanez chrome boy) on another guitar which is now 13 years old is perfect even after frequent and regular use. Maybe this is where the cost has been cut in production. If the worst comes to the worst I could replace the hardware a few years down the line to keep a great guitar servicable if need be though. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is a fantastic piece of kit. It puts me in mind of a top end prestige Ibanez rg but for half the money and with some dare I say it trump features as well. Now I love Ibanez guitars. I have owned a few of them but Maverick have done a great job here with their efforts. It is such a shame that they are out of production now. You can pick these up second hand at great prices too. If I could change anything on them it would be minor minor things. I would have released a few 'prestige' models with DiMarzio pickups pre installed and I sometimes find that the middle single coil is a shade obtrusive. I would have dropped it down into the body just a shade more. If my Maverick guitars got damaged or lost I would try and find similar ones used off the net but I think that 5 years or 10 years from now people will actively be trying to track down these machines and they will be the subject of bidding wars once folk realise their true worth so I will look after the ones I have as best I can! // 10

More Maverick reviews rating category latest review
+ F-1 8.5 Electric Guitars 08/13/2010