X-1 Review

manufacturer: Maverick date: 11/03/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Maverick: X-1
Maverick X-1 offers radical looks and tonality, while managing to achieve incredible playability and comfort. This is the area where most of Mavericks progressive competitors seem to constantly struggle. The X-1 always manages to provide perfect balance and completely uninhibited access to the player.
 8.9
 9.4
 8.3
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
X-1 Reviewed by: Frèak!!!!, on september 23, 2005

Features: I'm not sure how old or where it was made has 24 frets, rosewood neck. It has a floyd rose locking system which is brilliant. 2 humbuckers, one tone and one volume. 3-way pickup selector. It has a fucked up Explorer shape which looks like its been made for metal. It has a bolt on neck it doesn't have the best sustain, it's a shreders guitar all the way. // 10

Sound: The sound is realy heavy metal, nu-metal and it looks metal. I put it through a Hughes & Kettnerand I use a DigiTech 200A so it kinda sounds like a tube amp. For 2 humbuckers it sounds kinda bright but it sweet using it through a dime-bag mxd pedal. It's great for pinch homonics ECT. It can be used for every thing but it only looks metal and not punk or blues. Also it doesn't have the best sustain but it sounds sweet. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It came perfect, the action was perfect. Overall it was exelent when I got it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could play for hours non-stop with-out going out of tune. The hardware is the best of quality. I can depend on it fully but I have to bring a backup just in case a string snaps. Since its a locking system it would take 20 mins to change. It is a few years old and it still looks new. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar to bits. If this guitar was stolen I'd go out and find the cunt and shoot him because ut would be impossible to get another one because their is only a hundread made and I have no.81 I love every thing about it. And this guitar is in a league of its own. // 10

X-1 Reviewed by: eddiehimself, on november 03, 2006

Purchased from: local guitar store

Features: I have no idea when this guitar was made, I bought it second-hand. This is the old version, it's a bit slab-sided compared to the new one with the scuplted top, it doesn't have the sparkly paintwork or the set in knobs, it also has black hardware but I don't really mind, it is a solid black with black hardware, as I said. It has a floyd rose system in it, it has a volume and a tone control and a 5-way superswitch which does coil-splitting. It didn't come with any accsesories. // 8

Sound: I am using this guitar with my Peavey Ultra Tube amp, NOFX. Well this guitar is very much a metal guitar in terms of looks but it is actually pretty versitile, with the pickup selector on neck with the coil split and some reverb from the amp you get a kind of surf sound. If you put it on the neck humbucker, you get this really lovely thick clean sound that distorts a little because of the high output pickups but that's ok because on a good tube amp, it sounds very nice indeed. The bridge had ok cleans but it's really better for distortion, this guitar has very good distortion, the sound on it is very bassy tho and it can sound a bit saturated if you EQ your amp to have too much bass so as you can imagine, the neck pickup isn't really that much of an option for distortion. Even on high gain, there is very little background noise from the humbucker settings (1, 3, 5) but settings 2 and 4 on the 5-way are quite noisy given that they are single coil settings. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how the factory set this guitar up because it was second-hand but when I got it, the guitar just wouldn't stay in tune, which I think is why I got it so cheap. The reason was that the previous owner had put heavy gauge strings on it but he hadn't bothered to put any more springs in the trem, so I just put 2 more in in and byu, problem solved! However when I did that I had to raise the action quite a bit because of the extra string tension pulling the bridge down, everything else was fine really, I didn't have to adjust the pickups (you can't anyway) and all of the hardware was all good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable, the paint is very solid, the strap buttons haven't failed me at all yet (but straploks are gd just in case) The hardware is all gd and the electronics all work. The bolt-on neck is a bit of a liability but it's held on there strongly so I don't think there is much problem of that happening. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal and a bit of Indie and punk music and this works well for the first two definitely but I don't know about the latter because apart from the fact that it looks like a proper goth guitar (ever heard of Cradle Of Filth, Marylin Manson and Wednsday 13? Well their bassists all have the bass version of this guitar). It sounds like one too, although I think that could be to do with the string gauge and the type of amp I have. I have been playing for 2 years this christmas ('06) and I own the amp I mentioned, a Peavey bass amp which I use for guitar aswell, a Dean Z and a really crappy guitar which was my crap attempt at building one. My favorite thing about this guitar is the sound and how bloody cheap it was! Just goes to show how a little knowledge about trems can go a long way. If it were stealed I would probably kill the bastard Who stole it and get it back but if that happened I dunno what I'd do because I doubt I would be able to find another one. There's not really much I wish it had apart from maybe an OFR and 2 voulme controls because I never use the tone. // 9

More Maverick reviews rating category latest review
+ F-3 8.8 Electric Guitars 08/03/2011