Setius GTM 6 Review

9.2
review (1) pictures (7) 37 comments vote for this gear:
Setius GTM 6 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2011

Purchased from: Mid Air Music

Features: Fixed bridge 'double cutaway' with Mahogany body and Flamed Maple top in several color options, gloss body / matt neck. Bolt-on construction, 5 pcs Mahogany-Maple neck, plain Rosewood fingerboard and Standard 25,4" scale. This guitar also comes equipped with Schaller M6 tuners, Schaller straplocks, DiMarzio Air Norton pickups w/coil taps and a fitted Mayones hardcase. The guitar is finished in 'Monolith Black'. The flamed maple top gives this black a very nice effect. I would have preferred a neck through body, but as this guitar has an all-access neck heel I'm not complaining. // 9

Sound: My musical style is mainly metal and shred, with bands like Children of Bodom, Megadeth, Pantera etc. being the type of tones I'd wish to recreate. I use it through a cheap amp (Peavey Bandit 112) but it sounds absolutely incredible, the DiMarzio's can really dish out the gain without losing clarity, which is perfect for shredding. And the guitar has beautiful cleans as well, something which is quite rare for a guitar that works so well under high gain. Overall the tone is extremely versatile and can suit pretty much any style of music perfectly, and despite the extremely thin, lightweight body it has a surprising amount of sustain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first tried out the guitar, I knew it was in a league of its own. The action was set extraordinarily low, yet there was not one fret which had even a hint of fret buzz. The neck is thin too, allowing you to get the perfect position for sweeps with ease, and it seems to fit the palm of your hand perfectly for riffing. And unlike most guitars with rosewood fretboards, the frets aren't dry, and I didnt need to use GHS Fast Fret to lubricate it before I played it. Another thing I love about this guitar is the back and sides of the guitar have a beautiful glistening gloss finish; but the back of the neck has a natural satin finish. I don't know if you've ever played a guitar with a natural satin finish on the back of the neck, but they just feel so smooth and natural to play. So top marks for playability here. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar could withstand extensive gigging. You get a free Mayones hardcase with the purchase, so it's well protected throughout its travels, and thanks to the straplocks, your strap never comes off! I could very easily depend on this guitar for a live set, but just in case I'd have my trusty Ibanez RG42DXFM as a backup. Not saying the Mayones is liable to be broken, but its so good someone might steal it. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing 3 and a bit years, and over that time I have accumulated around 14 different guitars, and tried out many others. The Mayones kicks all their asses, then wipes the floor with them and chucks them in a bin. When I went to Mid Air I compared it with a Dean Razorback V 255, a Dean Razorback Explosion, a Jackson Phil Demmel 'Demmelition' King V, and a Dean MAB1, but the Setius GTM won hands down. The biggest statement this guitar makes is when you play it - if you're crap, you'll play good. If you're good, you'll play amazing. So don't let the price tag or the goofy brand name (Mayones is pronounced the same way as 'mayonnaise') put you off. Pick it up, plug it in and you'll discover a new level of playing within yourself, and I honestly do not believe words can justify how brilliant this guitar is. // 10

More Mayones reviews rating category latest review
+ BE 5 Exotic 9.4 Bass Guitars 07/27/2011