Intruder Review

8.3
 9.6
review (1) pictures (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Intruder Reviewed by: darth whaler, on october 19, 2010

Purchased from: eBay (used)

Features: Solid basswood body with quilted maple top and cream binding, trans-black finish. Maple neck and fretboard, 25-1/2" scale, 10" radius, 22 medium frets, 4+2 chrome tuners. Music Man Axis body style with flush-mounted Floyd Rose locking trem. Two black/cream "Intruder" humbuckers, one volume knob, and a three-way pickup selector. I would rate the features as 10/10, except the "stock" Floyd Rose that comes with it is pretty low quality. Definitely go for the Ping trem upgrade. I did not purchase this new, but Mean Street ships all their guitars with a very nice gig bag. // 9

Sound: This guitar can pull off many different sounds, but does its best work in overdrive. It's played through a Marshall MG101FX, and they really go well together. I'm able to get a very nice, vintage-ish sound out of the two of them. There is very slight noise when the overdrive is kicked up, but it doesn't come through when playing. With the volume dipped down, or on the clean/crunch channel, it's noiseless. The Intruder cleans up very well, and the pickups are truly wonderful for a set of "no-names". I think a pickup change could make this a 10/10. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure of the setup when it was new, but when it got to me it only needed some very minor tweaks at the bridge. The neck sits in its joint perfectly...not too tight, but not at all sloppy, which makes periodic maintenance a breeze. The bridge and pickup routs are perfect. The only "flaw" I can see is that the clear-coat has begun to yellow a bit, which is only noticeable around the binding. Personally, I like it...it shows that the guitar is actually played and doesn't just sit around looking good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Intruder is SOLID. I can't imagine normal wear and tear having much of an impact on it. All of the hardware is great, with the exception of the original bridge (like I said...upgrade it!) The finish is great, and looks like it'll hold up very well. // 10

Overall Impression: The Intruder suits my playing quite well. I've been playing for 17 years, and it's the best feeling guitar out of the 11 that I've owned. I like to play classic and modern rock, and so does this guitar. Ultimately, with the right fingers and decent rig, it'll really do whatever you want it to. Compared to the Music Man Axis, The Intruder matches up well to it. I couldn't feel much difference between the two, except for MAYBE the fretwork. The Axis did sound a bit better, but "sound" from a guitar is completely subjective, and swapping pickups is an easy fix for that. Considering the price difference between the two, I'd buy the Intruder over the Axis any day of the week, and have plenty of money left to make some not-really-necessary upgrades (bridge & pups). Overall, the Mean Street Intruder is a terrific instrument for the $599 base price. This one was purchased used, but I would replace it with a new one from Mean Street in a heartbeat if it was stolen/burned/blown up/used to fend off an angry mob. There is absolutely nothing that I don't like about it. It's a tremendous value for anyone wanting a less expensive alternative to an Axis or older Wolfgang. // 10

Comments