Patriot Premium Review

manufacturer: Michael Kelly date: 01/17/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Michael Kelly: Patriot Premium
This guitar is a very good choice for anyone who wants to have a quality guitar that plays like a dream and looks that will catch a hotties eyes.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.8
 9.4
 8.1
reviews (2) pictures (3) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Patriot Premium Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2010

Purchased from: musicians friiend

Features: I received this guitar for my birthday in 2009 (thanks Baby), So This is a Korean made guitar that is a 24 medium jumbo fret on a rosewood set neck. The Classic single cut design is the first one I have owned and like it. This guitar is like the other patriots but with EMG 81& 85 active humbuckers. The gotoh tuners make tuning stable and the string thru design makes this beast sing for days. The quilted top with transparent red with bindings on all the face edges was a good choice by the wife and definitely Shine when hit with stage lights. This guitar quickly became my first choice for playing. // 10

Sound: I Play a wide vearity of music and this gutar works well for all of them, but with the emgs in this good chuck of wood it is meant for metal. I plugged it into a Line 6 75 watt spider amp, and a Bugera V55Hd into a Bugera 212V-BK cab. The solid state spider amp was clean amd tight with no real noise coming from it because of the guitar. The tubes on the Bugera made this guitar come to life, the harmonics jumped off the guitar and the range that I could get from screaming metal to classic light distortion was easy to get with just a flick of the volume knob. Muddy tones were a fun new exploration as I am used to single coil pickups on my other guitars, This made for hours of testing and finding new tones from the neck pickup. For a guitarist like me who loves to find new things after all these years is just like a kid at Christmas. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Musicians friend takes care to send the guitar in a "ready to play" state. I had no problem taking the guitar out of the box and plugging it in. Played for 3 hours and I found no real flaws. I did learn right away the volumn knobs were not exactly what I would expect. To me they are backwards but other than that i did like the binding on this guitar. That gave this beauty and very nice finish and showed the craftmanship that rivals guitars that cost way more. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Like I said before this guitar is my first choice. I had it for a year now and it is still as good as new. I always change out the stock strap buttons to the Dunlop strap locks, this is on all of my guitars. I have 3 guitars on stage with me and I use them all but this one is always ready to play for me, This is my first guitar with active electronics, I was worried about the battery life, but I have found that I change batteries less than I thought so that is good. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is a very good choice for anyone who wants to have a quality guitar that plays like a dream and looks that will catch a hotties eyes. The fit and finish is quite high for me and I have owned quite a few of the "Name" guitars. Everyone has their own choices but don't overlook this guitar for the price it is definitley worth a look. The downfall of this guitar is the marketing. The availablity of this guitar makes it hard to try before you buy. I live in a major metro area and I had to search for this one. I am happy I did. I will never give this one up. // 9

Patriot Premium Reviewed by: claude-fi, on january 17, 2011

Features: The Michael Kelly Patriot Premium is one of the finest guitars I have ever owned. It's such a surprise how affordable it is compared to giant brands like Gibson and Epiphone. It's a solid-body, Les Paul-style guitar that shouts quality all over. It's made with a mahogany body, maple top and ebony fretboard. It has a set-neck construction, string-through design, and it features Tone-Pros Bridge and Grover tuners. Add in the full-abalone binding and a gorgeous quilted-maple top(mine is the satin-black style) with the matching headstock and you'll be sure you look good as you sound. It's a no BS, no nonsense electric guitar with no over the top features that attracted me to this guitar in the first place. Michael Kelly has been known to use EMG pickups with their guitars but lately they've been putting Rockfield ones. The Patriot Premium comes with two Rockfield SWCs as the bridge and neck pickups, wired with a threeway selector switch. The controls are pretty simple: two volume knobs, and one master tone. // 10

Sound: I play hard rock, alternative, progressive, nu-metal and some modern-blues plus I play regularly at our church and this guitar just delivers in everything. I generally use it with an Orange Rocker 30W combo and a Zoom G2.1Nu effects and it sounds great, no scratch that, f--kIN' AWESOME. The Rockfield SWC neck pup is actually great for soloing on medium gain settings as well as for clean settings when you want to play rhythm. The bridge pickup is for high-gain, in-your-face scorching leads and licks and it can decently chug although I don't play a lot of metal. Overall it has a ton of variety when it comes to tone despite the simple controls. It can be bright at times and with just a little of adjustments you can find that rich, bassy tone or that warm feel-good chorusy thingy. Sorry, I suck at describing tones but rest assured, this guitar delivers. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's action is where I'm kinda off. At the 12th fret, there's a lot of buzz to the point that it gets kinda muted. I couldn't make the adjustment myself because the guitar didn't come with the tone pros adjusting screw thing and had the store set it up for me. Little did I know that the store ALSO didn't have that so they used a flat screwdriver, f--king ruining the bridge screw. It still plays but the screw head is kinda distorted, it's like 'S' shaped rather than flat. So my tip would be to make sure you or you insist the store people use the tone-pros screw thing. I didn't have any issues with the pick-ups or the wiring or for that matter, anything else. It's just the action that was off. The guitar is exquisite; it contours on the right places with flawless finish and it doesn't get in the way of playing. The neck feels like it was custom-made to fit my hand making it a very easy and enjoyable instrument to play. It's a guitar for beginners and pros alike. // 8

Reliability & Durability: By the feel of this guitar, it can withstand the harshness of the road and live playing, I tell you. It's so solid, and built with a nuclear holocaust in mind, I mean, you just have to feel it to know. The hardware, the pickups, the knobs, the tuners are pretty beefy and will outlast you. I don't gig a lot but I bring it to every single one and I'm confident with it enough as to not bring a back-up. // 10

Overall Impression: I play hard rock and I play at the church and guess what, this guitar delivers. I have a cheap practice amp at home and even then it sounds good. I've been playing for 6 years now and I must say, the only guitar I have played that feels high-end and just has high quality written all over it is a Gibson LP Prophecy and THAT guitar is what I consider the final frontier and even then, I can safely compare the Patriot Premium with it. If it were stolen, I'd friggin' superman punch whoever did and buy another one in a heartbeat, but this time I'd buy the red version. Overall, if you want a guitar that will follow you to the ends of the world, and still rock then you better have an LP Prophecy. If you're like me who can't dish out 5 grand for a guitar, then the Patriot Premium is just for you. // 10

More Michael Kelly reviews rating category latest review