Patriot Q Review

manufacturer: Michael Kelly date: 01/26/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Michael Kelly: Patriot Q
The Patriot Q offers the perfect combination of vintage styling with modern features. This is not your father's single-cutaway! The Patriot body has been designed with a slightly extended upper bout. This provides additional body wood to neck contact and improved the Patriot's tone. The Q has been packed with features to improve tone and playability.
 8.6
 9.6
 7.5
review (1) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Patriot Q Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2007

Features: This is a beautiful guitar by Michael Kelly, and it's equipped with a solid mahogany body with a quilted maple top. I has 22 Ultra smooth medium-jumbo frets, with dual PAF plus humbucker pickups that give it amazing distortion and tone. My favorite feature was the tone knobs. They pop out about half an inch, and make the sound a bit thinner when pulled out, and when pushed back in, they give the guitar a rich gutsy tone. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of rock/blues in my band, and I tend to go into random solos at any moment, and this guitar can handle all of it. The tone is rich and full, even through my cheap Behringer 15 watt V-Tone amp. This guitar can do a great range of tones, from clean to deep distortion, and all of the smooth blues licks in between. If you're going for a clean sound, then I'd suggest you pull up the tone knob buttons, or else the deep tone of the guitar will make it sound more distorted, but I've found this to be quite handy because if you play soft it'll be more clean, and if you pick up the pace and strum or pick harder the tone gets thicker and meatier. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar had perfect action straight out of the box, but that's to be expected from Jenning's (where I got it from) because Jeninng's goes above and beyond for you. The guitar came equipped with GHS electric guitar strings, which aren't bad, but definitely need changing within the first few months, as they're prone to breaking if you play too hard. I'd like to note that the fretboard was extremely smooth and super easy to play. I've played an Epiphone Les Paul (nearly the same design and in the same price range) and the Michael Kelly outright owns the Epiphone in this aspect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've yet to see how sturdy this guitar is, but so far it has felt and sounded exactly the same as the day I got it. I would definitely play this at a gig without worrying about having a backup guitar, because ever since my last guitar (which I broke onstage after a song when the strap snapped in a guitar spin) I don't do stupid stunts on stage. As long as I don't throw it into a wall and jackhammer it, I'm entirely sure that this guitar will stand the test of time. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar fits me perfectly. The rich tone of the guitar fits my bluesy rock music, and through all of the solos, this guitar's sustain and tone has remained at a remarkable plateau of excellence. Overall this is a very beautiful guitar and It was a great deal for the price. // 10

More Michael Kelly reviews rating category latest review