Valor Limited Review

manufacturer: Michael Kelly date: 10/13/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Michael Kelly: Valor Limited
The Valor Limited features figured exotic wood tops in distinctive spalted Maple and also burled Bubinga. Stunning would be an understatement when describing their unique custom appearances.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 8.5
 8.7
 8.2
reviews (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Valor Limited Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2008

Features: This guitar was built on features. It's a a spalted maple on mahogany the maple looks amazing best top I have ever seen on a guitar. Also an ebony fretboard. 22 medium frets. It's also set neck! The bridge tunomatic bridge with a string though body. Comes with rockfield swc's direct mounted for pickups (go for $50 dollars a piece). Those pickups are also coil tapped for Strat sounds too. One tone one (keeps life simple for me. I get lost with 2 of each). Comes with grover tuners and D'Addario strings. The body style is much like a PRS with the double cut. // 10

Sound: The Michael Kelly moto is "built on sound". I play in church so I like to use as many styles as I can. My personal favorites would be blues and metal (huge fan of satriani). For the styles I play this guitar fits the bill. The reason I loved my Ibanez so much was it do humbuckers for metal stuff and singlecoils for blues. This guitar does that too, however my Ibanez sells for $600 and sounds no where near this Michael Kelly for $500. The direct mounted pickups are setup to really get the sound of the wood. However they are not height adjustable, but that's fine with me and wouldn't set them up any different. The are set up very close to the string but don't breakup any or distort. It has the classic maple on mahogany setup that's used on many prs and les pauls. So, you get a good mix of highs lows and mids. However those 2 woods fight for the highs in the midrange and endup canceling each other out. That gives you the smooth sound lespauls and prs are known for. This thing has huge sustain never going back to bolton neck again (fingers are uncrossed). I used to put 10-52 gauge strings on my Ibanez to make it sound as big as possible. This guitar came with 9-42's and sound much bigger and still extremely clear. I Would describe this guitar as clear and warm. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The feel of this guitar is taking me alittle getting used to. Seeing how this feels like a Prs and I have played Ibanez since I started I think 5 years ago. The action is equal to Ibanez so it's awesome. The neck alittle thicker, neck width is always personal peference (les pauls and strats world of difference but both extremely popular). The neck width took about to weeks to get used to but it still felt amazing to play because of the ebony fretboard. Ebony makes a world of difference when compared to rosewood! I couldn't believe it weighed less then my Ibanez. I am still shocked by how light it is each time I pick it up. Everything they send us we don't have to do anything but tune up and wipe down and it's ready for the showroom! // 9

Reliability & Durability: The reliablity and durability? The hardware grover tuners. Everything else hardware wise feels good. I have a guitar to back it up but it's locked in a case when I play in church. Seems great, but time will tell. My Ibanez felt alittle bit more reliable, but maybe 'cause I had more Faith in it after five years. // 9

Overall Impression: I work at a music store that just became a dealer for these a month and a half ago. Everyone I have seen blows me away for its price. The "good for the money" competitors need to watch their back. This is a best for the money guitar in my opinion. If you could try this out next to the valor custom do it and see which one you prefer sound wise. The Valor Custom has a better sound versus a warmer sound. // 10

Valor Limited Reviewed by: L2112Lif, on october 13, 2010

Purchased from: George the Crazy Stonemason (Private sale)

Features: Mine is the Valor X... 24 Frets, spalted maple top over a mahogany body, strings-thru bridge, master tone, master volume with coil taps, Rockfield Mafia pickups direct-mounted to the body, thin as anything neck... And I think I got a crappy gig bag out of the deal too. A pretty good rock machine on the outset. My only problem with the guitar is the two knob configuration. // 9

Sound: I love the sound of the guitar. The Rockfield pickups are oddly clear, and the crunch that they made with the Peavey amplifier in the seller's residence... Bliss. I play in styles that range from Rush-like prog to Soundgardenesque grunge. In fact, I played the song Limelight to test the guitar. The guitar goes from clean to distorted on a very even gradient, thanks to the master volume. I hardly ever test the tone, but I tried it out, and found that it was as even as the volume knob. I loved its sound, but it isn't the best sounding thing I've come across, and through some amps, the pickup's bite might sound harsh. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up so-so, having hung in George's residence for awhile; not a bad fix. Other than that, everything was alright, and there were no *visible* flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Okay, here's the fun part. After three months, the input jack came loose. I soldered it back together fine, but every three months or so... Something with the wiring just seemed to die. I've got the guitar sitting in a case right now, because I need to go over the wiring and possibly have the thing re-wired, which I am NOT psyched about. I've gigged with the guitar without a backup, but it fell in and out because of the shoddy original work on the input jack. Other than that, it's taken a physical beating... But beware! Spalted maple is a little weak because of the dead spots that the fungus makes as it eats into the wood! My guitar's got notches around the darker spots because of everything from walls to stands to amplifiers! // 6

Overall Impression: The guitar (When its working) is an excellent match for what I try to accomplish... But, if you ever venture over and listen to my recordings, you will NOT hear its sound on anything I have completed thus far. I wish that the guitar was working, and that the wiring wasn't being a... A.. Female dog... But hey, these things, they do 'appen. I just hope to get it up and working soon, so I can actually use it. // 7

More Michael Kelly reviews rating category latest review