MVG-1BK Review

manufacturer: Monterey date: 03/04/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Monterey: MVG-1BK
V style guitar with 2 Humbacker pickups, Rosewood fingerboard, Alder body, hand Maple neck, 2 volume and 1 tone control, Diecast machineheads.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 6.5
 7.1
 7.5
 6.7
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
MVG-1BK Reviewed by: Tummaenkeli, on september 20, 2007

Features: I had the honour of reviewing the MLP-5SKB the other day. God, the glory of reviewing a guitar seemingly made of aluminium. Anyhoo, after a request to do the other Monterey I gots, I thought, why not? The MVG-1BK is a paradox. To some, it looks rock, sounds rock, and tastes rock to others, things like these are just plain crappy. I must say that guitars like these usually sound pretty bad. The first flaw: the '2 humbucker pickups' might as well be made of lego. Really ineffective. The otherwise, this chroming hardware was fine. The 3-way selector switch actually worked well, and this is the first Monterey I've ever had that doesn't have tuners that were seemingly made without intention of ever actually tuning. But the main problem, as with many Monterey guitars, is can seem as though the makers built the body and neck, then threw some 50 cent equipment on it. While it's hardware works with this guitar, is isn't at the Standard that many other mainstream guitars are at. Oh, and 24 frets. What has 24 frets? Plus the bubble wrap it came in had been pre-popped. Those little. // 6

Sound: To quote fictional character Crow, "Rock 'n' roll, baby!" If you don't get that, play more Grand Theft Auto. Anyways, this guitar comes with the options of clean (distorted), distorted (also distorted) and overdrive (really distorted). The MVG-1BK has almost a natural 'metal' feeling to it. However, due to the pickups, the sound cames across underwater-ey. This gets a 5 out of 10, namely because nobody wants a guitar that would sound better when not even played. I suppose changing the pickups would give this a 7, maybe even an 8. If you can be bothered. But if Monterey couldn't be bothered putting pickups on that weren't made of bottle caps, then why should you be the one to put in the effort? // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Flawless. Though I will catch a lot of flak for this, it was. Everything down to the last square inch of this guitar was perfect. The action was great, the hardware was great, the body was a synonym of great, oh, wait, I forgot. The pickups that could probably be pulled off the guitar and thrown at people. My mistake. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Well, in a hypothetical situation where the pickups don't look like too much pressure would make them spontaneously combust, this guitar is really, really good. Great. Fantastic. Spectacular. The neck is on so well that you could use the guitar as a pogo stick. The body will easily halt any stray bullets that may pass your way, and though this guitar has less treble and more bass to it, I can't imagine having to use a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: Truthfully, this should be a 6 point 5. This guitar is up the higher scale of the mediocre list. It's not well known, but if your looking for a guitar that could kick your ass, steal your wallet and sleep with your girlfriend, you've got it, in another guitar. This guitar, on the other hand, will probably do all the above mentioned things, but only when it has no strings and is suspended on your wall. I'm going to stop playing, and reviewing, all Monterey products. True, my Monterey acoustic is brilliant. But 2 truthfully shoddy guitars is enough. What kinda' name is Monterey, anyway? It sounds close to Mr. Burns' middle name, doesn't it? And nobody wants a guitar which reminds people of a yellow old geezer. // 6

MVG-1BK Reviewed by: Ultraussie, on march 04, 2011

Price paid: A$ 275

Purchased from: Miranda Music

Features: Hi I brought this guitar Brand New from a small music shop in Tweed Heads NSW, had an alright selection of mostly acoustics and banjo's and some electric's as well, I saw this guitar on the rack and it stood out to me immediatly. I honestly thought it was a genuine Gibson Flying V until I saw the Monterey badge on it and all that. Pricetag: $325. Waitaminute, It had another sticker on it saying it was on special for $275. I tried it out in the shop, only thing I liked more was the Jackson Rhodes but I could'nt afford that so I just brought this. Monterey is an Australian company, I assume the instrument is Australian made. I'm pretty sure its made of Mahogany. The Bridge is a Tune O Matic, good quality one too, has a tailpeice. It has 2 volume knobs (for each pickup), 1 Tone knob, and a 3 way pickup selector. Did'nt come with any acessories, however I purchased a basic strap with it and got a custom Flying V gig bag from CNB for $30 dollars. A bag or something or a case is nessacary with these things, trust me. The 2 pickups are humbuckers, generic, aren't the best quality. The finish is a contempary black gloss, and the white pickgard contrasts it. Tuner's don't lock, generic, good quality though. The neck has 22 frets, I'm not sure of the scale, it is good for very very fast playing. // 7

Sound: I am almost exclusively a Metal player, abit of Blues, Rock, and Punk If I'm in the mood, and this really suits my style. The shape, classic shape, awesome shape, that's pretty metal, and when I play it it sounds so freaking heeaaavvvyy.. Pickups are'nt the best, I could change these, but otherwise I'm not bothered. I play with a DigiTech RP90 effects pedal, through my computer speakers or headphones. With the 2 volume knobs I can turn one knob to say, 7-8, and select exclusively that pickup, it sounds very clean, Switch it to the other pickup, Get the best distorted metal tone. This is mostly a Metal/Rock guitar, I've played Blues and Punk on it before, and I've even used my RP90 unit to make electronic music. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar feels solid, and I've banged it around a few times, nothing looks bent or nothing, it just left a few dings on the paintwork. It's pretty solid, it just is. There aren't any flaws or nothing. It's one of the best guitars I've played. The finish is entirely gloss black, with white Pickguard and an insert on the headstock, Identical to the real Flying V's. The pickups are alittle loose, but this has'nt caused me any problems and I play pretty hard, if it wern't for the pickups I'd give it a 10. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could be labeled as invincible. I've played a few gigs with it, I've jumped around and climbed atop of a speaker cabinent to do a guitar solo, and I'm impressed. But I'd change the strap buttons. They come loose sometimes under movement and you have to stop playing and catch the guitar before it falls to the ground. Otherwise, yeah. Its awesome. I've done the gigs without backups, simply because I know it won't break. Once I've played it 6 hours straight. And why would it break? The things solid as. Paint finish is alright, of course it comes off when I ding it but It looks like its there to last. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is an excellent Metal guitar. It fits in with Rock/Blues/Punk pretty good as well (in the way it plays and sounds). I'd recommend this for Imtermediates and Pros, its a great guitar, beginner's might not be able to manage the Flying-V shape. I've been playing guitar for a year and a half. I'm a teenager but I've done a few gigs and this guitar certaintly fits the metal image and people often comment on the shape of it. This is the best guitar I own, my other guitar was my first, a Peavy Raptor EXP. I'm a fairly skilled player, and this guitar plays better than much more expensive guitars. Even the BC Rich guitars. If this guitar was stolen or lost I probaly would'nt be able to afford another guitar :P I like this guitar very much and I'd probally buy it again unless I saw another cheap guitar with the same capabilities. I love the guitar's shape, and the neck is just right for those parts where my hand has to rapidly move around the fretboard and imediatly do technical work. The TuneOmatic Bridge accomodates palm muting without feeling awkward or painful. I don't hate anything about it, only niggle is I can't attach a tremello bar to it. I've looked at other Monterey products, as well as guitars made by Ibanez, Cort, ESP/LTD and Peavy, and this guitar was one of the best, and the price sought of amplified how awesome it was. I wish it had a Floyd-Rose or an EverTune bridge, but those are worth more than the guitar itself. If you see this guitar, I recommend you buy it straight away. You wont be dissapointed. // 9

More Monterey reviews rating category latest review
+ MGS-1 2.4 Electric Guitars 10/11/2011