JP 6 BFR Review

review (1) pictures (3) 31 comments vote for this gear:
JP 6 BFR Reviewed by: omidmash, on december 09, 2011

Price paid: € 2899

Purchased from: Just Music Hamburg

Features: This is a Custom Ernie Ball Music Man BFR JP Signature, made in USA 2010. It has 24 frets, with a custom FULL rosewood neck. The neck is very thin and very fast, due to it's unfinished nature. It has a glossy Olive/Gold finish. The body is Alder, it has a mahagony tone block. The body is a Superstrat style with 2 outputs for Piezo pickup and Magnetic pickups. The bridge is John Petrucci custom floating bridge WITHOUT a locking nut, which stays in tune surprisingly well. The bridge is very similar to a Strat when you re-string. It has 2 humbuckers and a 3 way switch. Liquifire and Crunchlab, and middle switch is a Coil tap. It also has a Piezo in the bridge. There is one volume control for Magnetic, one for Piezo, a tone control, a 3 way Piezo switch and a 3 way magentic switch. There is also an equalizer behind the guitar which needs a philips screwdriver for Piezos. It has Sperzel locking tuners, and came with a EBMM case and extra springs. The case is great, because you can put the guitar in with the tremolo on and it has a cavity for it. Get a 9.8/10 because of Piezo equalizers, but well.. 10! // 10

Sound: I play in a cover band and play LOTS of different music. From Blues to Metal and cleans. This guitar and because of Piezo/Coil tap is insane for different kinds of music. The sound is very rich in clean, and extremely powerful with Distortion on. You can play from Metallica to Pink Floyd and SRV on this baby. A 9/10 because I prefer a crunchier neck pickup for Metallica style music. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: the action was AMAZING. It came with set of 9s which I changed when I got home, a truss rod adjustment and suited the bridge the way I wanted it, and I can play as fast as an iPhone in a blender. The control is just beautiful. The guitar was in a "Special Guitar" room in the shop, therefore it was clean and beautiful as a new version. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I didn't play live with this guitar yet, but it seems to be able to withstand Hiroshima. It's build to play baseball with. I could depend on it alone, but I always take a backing guitar with myself. nothing on the guitar. The finish is too beautiful for me to try to do anything with it, but it seems to look ugly if it chips off. The color is beautiful and should look epic under stage light. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of different music as mentioned, and THIS IS the guitar to go. Most versatile thing ever. I prefer heavier guitars such as LPs, so it gets a 9 from me here, but imagine it as a 10 if you like lighter guitars. I wouldn't have the money to buy it again, therefore I would hunt down the thief and make him feel bad for it. // 9

More MusicMan reviews rating category latest review
+ AX20 6.8 Electric Guitars 11/24/2009