Seraphim Review

manufacturer: Neko Guitars date: 09/04/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Neko Guitars: Seraphim
This guitar is very versatile, I play rock, fusion, metal, funk, RNB, jazz, even metal core, and it can cover them with no problem! It's a great guitar for the price - a great investment.
 7.6
 9.6
 5.6
review (1) pictures (5) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Seraphim Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 04, 2012

Purchased from: Online

Features: The guitar was made 2012 online from NK Guitars (which is actually NEKO Guitars). The guitar is made in Qingdao China by their own small customshop which is US-based run. Before I bought the guitar I was kind of guessing due to where it was made and what hardwares, the designer is from USA and a guitarist too so he knows what a guitarist need when it comes to quality and reliability. It has a 25.5" scale, 24 jumbo frets with really nice abalone (talked with the designer himself and said they are Indian Abalone. I'd say VERY NICE!). Canadian red maple neck/fretboard. The guitar body thin and comfortable 42mm thickness and is made with American alderwood with white binding; the finish is a beautiful gloss with color they called (Mercedez Gold) I do not know how to explain. It looks similar with GoldTop but there is a tint of brown that makes it look unique and it has this amazing glow once struck by light! Its somewhat similar to Ernie Ball MusicMan (yes, those high dollar collectible ones!) Body style is similar and pretty much the same size as a Fender Showmaster (I know this since I have one); it has this AANJ with a carve on the back of the body which makes it comfortable in the higher frets; the lower horn is a little pulled back and not aligned on the last 24th fret so it has a little more space and relief. The bridge is an all steel build like a tank 2 point tremolo that has a huge block for better sustain. The back tremolo cavity surprisingly has a wider cavity for divebomb even with a huge block compared to FR with thin blocks just to dive the trem all the way. The pickups are what they called a Viperbucker (highoutput); 1 volume and 1 tone on metal knobs (but he gave me free speedknobs if I want to change it); 5 way switch; HSH configuration as to usual superstrats; the tuners are locking tuners sturdy and high quality (Jinho -SP lock). // 9

Sound: This guitar is very versatile, I play rock, fusion, metal, funk, RNB, jazz, even metal core, and it can cover them with no problem! My amp is a Fender HR Deville and goes well with it however I tried it on a Blackstar, or Mesa and sounds better. The pickups are Viperbucker which is a Korean-made custom wound are highoutput (Seymour Duncan JB or Evo) on those range. The pickups are quiet and has great clarity and response; sounds great with distortion (clear but you know the RAWR factor is there) (the singlecoil does his own thing like they normally do). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The only thing I dislike about this guitar is that I got used with Ibanez or thin necks and this one is somewhat between Ibanez necks and a Fender Stratocaster. I think its a plus for other people but oh well I am starting to get used to it anyways and actually is a good thing. I am weird. Psychologically thin necks makes me want to play fast all the time but this one makes me hold my horses not because its a slow neck. But helps control myself a bit more making it melodically LOL. The tremolo has a cavity which is a good feature that you can power the trem down for a low action at the same time you can do a tremolo pullback without problems. And NO it does not go out tune! I guess its the Graphtech Black Tusq doing its thing plus the big tremolo block holding the vibration firmly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I play live. I play everywhere where our little van can take us. This guitar is built like a tank. MIND YOU ITS CHINESE made! Oh well, as the founder said. Let factory workers stays in the factory and luthiers in a shop. Hardwares are either Korean made or USA; they did a great job. If this one got stolen I will buy another one in a heartbeat (but sure is another waiting game since they do not mass produce). The finish looks great like what I said similar to EBMM guitars and I think on this baby they used urethane. It's a great guitar for the price a great investment. // 10

Overall Impression: Like what I said I play different genres and this guitar fits fine. The pickups are good enough so I have to scratch my plan (thinking about switching it to EVO set). I have been playing for 14 years and I owned Ibanez USA Customs, Ibanez Prestiges, PRS Custom 24, Gibson LP (1960s not a reissue); Epiphone LP; Strat MIJ 86; Strat 60ri. If there is anything I would like to wish with this guitar which I already told the guy himself. A MOULDED hardshell case! Shipping a beautiful guitar in a box even styro does not worth it but they did pack it nice. But its a custom shop quality and deserves a better treatment. Or a gigbag with it will do. And yes I will buy again if it gets stolen. Comparable... It was compared with a friend's Suhr. Suhr makes great great American guitars, while this one is made in China. But still a custom shop. But if you do not have the bucks to buy a Suhr... Get one of these. // 9

Comments