LC3 Review

manufacturer: Oldfield date: 07/04/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Oldfield: LC3
Upgraded "custom" appointments to these classic-looking L series guitars include big block fretboard inlays, gold hardware, 3-ply pickguards and a fully bound neck and body.
 7.7
 6.3
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
LC3 Reviewed by: Scum-bag Carrol, on july 04, 2008

Features: I'm not quite sure what year this was made; my best guess is 2007 (when I bought it). This was made in China which isn't the best but heck you never know. This guitar is a Les Paul Copy but a decent one. That means it has 22 jumbo frets, 24.75 inch scale, Rosewood fingerboard/fretboard, mahogany neck. This Les Paul copy has a maple cap, the whole guitar is painted black and has a polyuthrene finish not the nitrocellulose Gibson usually use on Les Pauls. It also has 3-ply white binding on the body, neck and headstock. The neck and body are made of Mahogany and the neck is a set-neck (traditional Gibson style set-neck). There isn't a finish like a curly maple top or something it's just painted black. The body style is a single cutaway Les Paul style as I said earlier. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and tailpiece which are gold (not solid gold) that means it has great sustain and intonation. This guitar has passive electronics with the typical 2 volume 2 tone pots and a 3-way selector switch. It has a H/H configuration too. The tuners are Gotoh I believe which is a nice feature. There were no accessories included. // 9

Sound: This suits my style pretty well, I play some rock e.g. Guns N' Roses but mainly metal e.g. Metallica. I run this through a Marshall Valvestate 275w and my effects pedal is an old Zoom 505 guitar multi-effects. This guitar is not noisy what-so-ever. Even with massive amounts of gain turned on it won't fizz or hum. I always play with my bass on 10 my treble on 10 and the middle on 3-4 all the time. The only setting I change is gain. It gives a very chunky sound but bear in mind the guitar is like 5cm in depth, with lots of gain it is a beast and with cool chorus added it is as smooth as a bowling alley, the pickups are decent for stock and surprisingly versatile. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was ok but not fantastic. The action was a little high and the pick-ups were a little low. The frets were pretty good too. The nut isn't that well done but I soon sorted that out. Other than that it was fine. I sorted all that out with a few easy adjustments. Also I've not needed to adjust the truss rod what-sp-ever since I baught it (Xmas 2007). It is very solid and stable and didn't need adjusting after a big gig with huge variations in tempurature. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definatly will withstand Live playing. I know this because I have played it Live at a pretty big gig. I had a back-up but didn't even need to look at it. The hardware will last a life time but the gold on it will wear off, but I'm not too bothered about that. The strap buttons are set like tanks! They are nice and wide but not too wide you can't get the strap on, I didn't replace them with strap locks for a few months because they were that reliable. But I had too because of the gig I had and wasn't taking any risks. The finish look roughly 1mm thick which is very thick, so it will last, but if it cracks it going to be a pain. // 10

Overall Impression: Again I play mainly metal but some rock. This guitar is a good match because is it so versatile and looks stunning too. I have been playing nearly 2 years now and play about 3 hours a day minimum. I also own a Hohner which doesn't compare one bit. I have no regrets about buying this. I love this guitar and if it was stolen I'd kill the person Who stole and their family. I would buy it again because it really is as good as I'm making it out to be. I had the choice between this and a LTD EC-50 and some Epiphones and happily chose this one. I love its feel, looks and sound. My favorite feature is the neck because is has a nice big yet somehow shred feel to it. The only thing that would make this better is if it had a Gibson headstock on it. // 9

Comments