Coffin Pack Review

8.2
reviews (3) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Coffin Pack Reviewed by: punkmetalA7X91, on june 20, 2008

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, two humbuckers, non locking tuners, Strat style body, string trough tremolo system, 3-way selector switch, strap, Coffin case, picks, cable. The features of this guitar are not bad for the price but not that great either. // 7

Sound: For a 200 dollar guitar it does not sound that bad. The pickups are not terrible, but they aer not that great either. They produce a good tone but teh bridge pick up sounds empty, like there is nothing to the tone, but the neck pick works quite well and produces a slightly fuller tone. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this I was impressed by the set up and the action but there was some minor tuning problems that I had but after taking it in to get set up it worked just fine. The pickups were adjusted fine, the frets were even and neck was not warped. The finish on this guitar is not your normal finish, it has a layer of flat black plastic over it which gives the guitar a very durable finish that I have not managed to scrap or dent. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had no major issues with this guitar except on of the strap buttons gets loose every now and then. I haven't played this guitar live but I think if you get some strap locks it would work just fine. I wouldn't use it with out a back up due to it going out of tune somewhat easily and the chance of a string breaking. Like I said above the finish will not wear off with anything short of a belt sander. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that for 200 dollars it is a great starter guitar. I usually play a lot of metal and this guitar can handle it it fine. It has one of the best necks you will find for the price and that has to be my favorite part of the guitar. The only real complaint I have is the tremelo, it will send the guitar out of tune with teh slightest use. I highly recommend this guitar to any one looking for a good starter guitar. // 9

Coffin Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 01, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay Store

Features: These came about early 2000's. The Coffin case is probably the better deal than the guitar. 22 thin frets. One Vol One Tone. Non-locking trem. 2 OLP humbuckers, sealed tuners, rosewood on maple neck. Body wood - basswood? Finish - flat black Gothic. Plastic pearloid Coffin inlays. // 7

Sound: The guitar unamplified has a bright tone, so I don't think swapping out PUPs is going to help. The PUPs are OK -don't squeel and have nice output. The guitar sounds like a beefed up strat. On some brighter amps such as Marshalls, I turn the tone control down to 3 and this helps. Of course, this depends on your amp settings. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The quality is good although they use cheap pots which I had to replace because they turned way, way to easily. I replaced the plastic nut with a graphite one and this helps the guitar to stay in tune when using the trem. The finish is interesing because it does seem quite resistant to scrapes, but will show finger smudges and dust. The action got to medium/fast with some higher fret filing. This is not a shredder guitar - if you like the feel of strats, this guitar will properly work well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It will last, but will not be a main guitar because of the action, non-locking trem, and tonal constraints. The strap buttons are small - come on OLP - put wider buttons on -it can't cost that much more. The headstock looks cool - good shape and I like the shape of the body. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, these guitars were designed by Coffin and manufactured by OLP. They even have a Coffin shape truss cover, neck plate, and control cavity cover - all Coffin shaped. I liked the Coffin inlays and to cut costs, they left the body alone. Been nice to have a cool cemetery graphic or something Gothic. I 'customized' my guitar by adding Coffin shaped designs on the body to look like the inlays. I used pearlize white paint and did 2 large coffins and 6 smaller ones scattered on the body. I then added dazzle stick-ons on each Coffin in the form of crosses and RIP on the 2 big coffins. It's as close to real looking inlays as you can get and it looks 'factory'. Heh, it's a cheap guitar - so have fun! // 6

Coffin Pack Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2010

Features: This is an update from my previous review. The Coffin case is the better deal than the OLP guitar. It took me hours to get the OLP guitar to play in tune. Without using the trem, the guitar would not stay in tune especially with string bending. I put on locking tuners which helped, but not completely (already installed a graphite nut). Turns out the non-locking trem bridge does not float stable. I had to tighten the claw all the way to the body (3 springs), and install metal strips at the rear bridge (ala Van Halen's quarter placed under his early guitars)so the bridge would not move backward - only forward. Now It stays perfectly in tune no matter what I do and the trem only goes flat and is stiff, but thats OK! // 2

Sound: Very clean and like a fat strat. I swapped out the PUPs for GFS Hot Rails humbuckers and realized the stock PUPS were OK. The sound is a little better. The bridge PUP has a nice clear slightly thin tone - like a strat. The neck PUP has nice warm sustainy tones. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: OK Nicely made. The inlays are pearloid plastic and very well done. Not a guitar for shredding. Good for blues and cutting tones. I swapped out the PUPs and put in GFS Hot rails Humbuckers. Helped somewhat, but I relealized the OLP stock PUPs are quite good. // 3

Reliability & Durability: Very well built and the satin black finish holds up well. I could gig with this guitar now that it's in perfect tune. I added Coffin style inlay looking graphics on the body. OLP could have done a nice cemetery graphic or something like the Washburn X Series which would havd not cost much more. // 2

Overall Impression: OK - not a great guitar out of the box. Must be set up! I spent alot of time messing with this guitar until I realized the problem with the bridge. If you don't want to use the trem, lock it down. To use the trem: graphite nut, locking tuners, plate under the rear of the bridge to keep it from going sharp or wobbling, and tighted the claw as much as possible. // 4

More OLP reviews rating category latest review
+ MM1 8.6 Electric Guitars 05/23/2012