MM1 Review

manufacturer: OLP date: 05/23/2012 category: Electric Guitars
OLP: MM1
The OLP MM1 delivers the essence of popular high-end equipment at a fraction of the cost. You get the highest quality construction, tone, and appearance - all at a very affordable price. Every detail has been approved for accuracy and quality.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 9.3
 8.6
 9.2
reviews (4) pictures (13) 11 comments vote for this gear:
MM1 Reviewed by: bryangiss, on june 02, 2005

Features: This is a Ernie Ball Music Man knockoff made in Japan in 2002. Basswood body, maple neck, jumbo frets, sealed die-cast tuners, and chrome hardware. The finish is a photofinish quilt look which is very sharp. The bridge style is more like a Vintage Fender style but can be purchased with a Floyd Rose. The controls are simple with a pickup Switch for the two humbuckers and a volume Switch. Total Van Halen style. The tuners are locking and again of the Fender style with 4 on one side and 2 on the other. // 10

Sound: I like the brown sound of Van Halen, Clapton, etc. and this guitar nails it dead on. I also like the '80s metal sound of Steve Vai and others and this tackles that as well. If you are a Van Halen fan there is no need to shell out $600-$1, 200 for a Wolfgang or Ernie Ball. This guitar is every bit as good at half the price. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up for me when I purchased it at Guitar Center so I can't tell you how they come from the factory. I didn't notice a whole lot of difference from when I played it before I purchased it and after it had been set up though. The pickups, bridge work and everything about the guitar is great quality. The only problem I have had has been with the pickup Switch switching on it's own from the bridge setting back to the dual setting. Easily fixed though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't have a back up for this guitar because I am pretty sure I won't need one. The finish has held up great, the strap buttons are attached well and the guitar is awesome live. I even found one being used daily at Disney MGM studios by one of the guitarists there and his gets used daily 5 times for 1hr each session and said he has never had a problem with it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for anyone who like the Van Halen type sound or a Les Paul type of feel. If you have looked at a Ernie Ball Music Man or Peavey Wolfgang or any Van Halen type guitar save you money and look no further than this guitar. // 10

MM1 Reviewed by: killingmoon45, on november 08, 2006

Purchased from: curl's music

Features: Basswood body, Ernie Ball MM body, maple neck, medium jumbo frets, sealed die-cast tuners, chrome hardware, two humbucker pickups, 3-way pickup switch, 1 volume knob, Vintage tremolo bridge, and no tone control knob. I give it a 10, because I love all aspects of this 200 guitar. // 10

Sound: I really like the sound of this 200 guitar. The stock pickups provide good clean and distortion tonality. The guitar sound is vibrant. It rings acoustically. I do plan on replacing the pickups with either Seymour Duncan or Genesis Mr. Brownie EVH pickups, but the stock pickups are very good. I just have money to spare after only spending 200 on this guitar. I installed Power Slinky strings (48-11) and the tonality is great and the instrument stays in tune song after song. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The playability of this guitar, at least for me, is incredible. I've owned a Les Paul, a Music Man Steve Morse, and a Stratocaster american deluxe guitar and the OLP MM1 plays the easiest. Not only is the neck perfect for my left hand, the action runs low without buzzing, and the string tension for my picking right hand is sweet. I bought a second OLP MM1 to use as my performing guitar, while I keep my three year old MM1 as my practice guitar, which I will continue to beat to death. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had my first OLP MM1 for three years with no problems whatsoever. I play the heck out of it and it still doesn't need a fret job. The stock tuners are good, but I upgraded them with locking tuners for ease of string replacement. Feels solid, wont fall apart although the finish might chip easily. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar! For me it is the ultimate guitar for playability. The stock hardware is very good. The stock pickups are great! I would strongly recommend this guitar to players of all skill sets. I would particularly recommend this axe to the guitarist that wants a guitar that is effortless to play. // 9

MM1 Reviewed by: explorer13, on april 29, 2008

Features: This guitar is great for the professional or beginner guitarist. It has 22 frets, close to a Fender Stratocaster scale, jumbo frets, maple neck/fretboard. Mine came with a quilted maple top. The guitar is cut into the shape of a Peavey wolfgang guitar, or Van Halen style. The bridge is a Standard Vintage bridge just like the one's found on the Fender Strat's (Standard). It is given a 3-way pickup selector and a single volume knob, total Van Halen style. It has 2 stock zebra humbuckers, which sound amazing! They nail every aspect of a humbucker sound that you could ever want. Being the tone freak that I am, I drilled two new holes on the guitar and installed a tone pot and knob and a little killswitch. The tuners are Standard factory tuners but work great for the guitar. I have had this guitar for about a year now and before I bought the guitar I had planned on buying a new bridge, humbuckers, and tuners, but upon playing, I completely changed my mind, every part of this guitar is perfect. // 10

Sound: My style of music is pretty broad, jazz, blues, rock, metal, classical, and country, and this guitar is perfect for everything. I use an old Crate 120 watt amp and this thing sounds amazing with the overdrive that the amp offers. The humbuckers are well grounded and do not give off much if any feedback. The bridge guitar is bright and clean and warm at the same time, perfect for distortion. The neck humbucker is my favorite part of the sound, it offers a deep low sound on the low strings and a bright/medium sound for the highs, perfect for jazz and such. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was not set up properly when I received it but after a few tweaks, it worked fine, no better than fine, it worked great! The action is surprisingly low with very little or no buzz. The pickups were adjusted fairly well, but because of the pickups being directly mounted to the guitars body, it was easy to adjust them. The finish of the guitar is incredible, even for a print top, looks amazing and flawless. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a work horse, it can withstand the harshest treatment without breaking or being damaged. I was playing live when my strap broke and the guitar dropped a good 3 feet onto the hardwood stage, I picked it up, skimmed the guitar and started playing immediately afterwards. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a good deal of rock/classic rock and this guitar is made for that. I have been playing guitar for close to 4 years now and this is by far the best guitar that I have played and owned. I love this guitar, it plays well, sounds great and won't die on you very easily. // 9

MM1 Reviewed by: sroze478, on may 23, 2012

Purchased from: Private seller

Features: Alright, I think I've had this guitar long enough now to be able to write a review about it. What we have here is an Officially Licensed Product (copy) of an EBMM guitar. I guess they made these copies before Sterling began making EBMM copies, which was in 2009. So this guitar was made sometime before then... It doesn't look too old, so I'd be willing to bet it was sometime around the end of their run. It's a pretty standard guitar... Two decent humbuckers, single volume knob, Fender-style tremolo, 3-way switch, jumbo frets (pretty well dressed too), sealed unbranded tuners (4+2), maple neck and board (unfinished, both), basswood body, and photo top. It's a solid combination that has proven to be very playable and versatile. Mine came with a nice gig bag and a MicroCube, but I don't know what it came with originally. It's so basic that I can't give it more than a 7, but it's not exactly lacking in features either, don't worry. // 7

Sound: I play most variations of rock and roll... Muse, Weezer, Chili Peppers, and Blink-182 are some favorites, but also some classic rock/funk/anything that sounds fun to play. I can play most of them on this guitar. I was surprised at how the neck humbucker sounds... Very nice cleans, almost a single-coil sound, very bell-like. The bridge pickup is a bit... Muddy I guess for my tastes, so I usually leave it on the neck pickup or sometimes the middle position. The bridge PU would be good for rhythm stuff or probably some metal chugging though. I play this through my Behringer Firebird 15w SS amp. I know it's not exactly a nice amp (an AC-15 is on my wishlist) but I do enjoy the sound that this amp makes. And this guitar works well with it, it's not noisy or anything. I have the MM1 going into a Boss comp/sustain, a cheap Dano delay pedal, and then my trusty BD-2, and it sounds great all together. But don't get me wrong, I also like the unaltered tone of just the guitar and the amp. It really is a decent sounding guitar. And you can get a pretty big variety of sounds from it, there's a marked difference between the neck and bridge sounds and they're both perfectly usable. I'll put it this way; this guitar sounds way better than my other electric, an Oscar Schmidt Delta King ("way better" as in more clarity, better response, and less noise). I still like the Delta King for those semi-hollow tones though. But this MM1 has become my main axe. There is usually some buzz from a bad ground wire or something, one of these days I'll fiddle around on the insides and try to fix that. But touching the strings stops that, so not a big deal really. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I set up the guitar to my liking after I bought it, as you should with any guitar you buy. I'm not sure how it came from the factory, but it was alright when I bought it. I just tweaked the pickup height, action height, and intonation screws a bit to get it where I wanted it. And slapped on some D'Addario XLs. The finish is honestly pretty nice; glossy black on the back, nice sunburst quilted photo top on the front. It doesn't look fake, but if you look closely you can tell it's not real. The neck and fretboard are unfinished maple, which I really like. Compared to the glossy neck and rosewood board on my Delta King, I again prefer the MM1 with its maple/maple combo. The hardware is all of decent quality, and there are no flaws that I can find on the guitar. I did have to buy a new trem arm, I guess the guy I bought the guitar from had lost it, but it was no problem to find a replacement. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems like it will last a while. I don't play very rough, and I've never had the chance to play live and I doubt I will, but I would trust this guitar with live playing. The hardware is all up to par, the finish is nice and seems durable (a few scratches on it, but I think most of them were there when I bought it), the strap buttons haven't failed me yet, the trem works well, and I like the tuners. It does seem to stray out of tune, but it's usually sharp so I don't think it's the tuners as much as it is humidity or the tremolo or something. But I tune my guitars before I play them usually anyway, so I'm not too upset about that. The 3-way switch isn't perfect, but it's not flimsy or anything and it does its job. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 10 years, but I've been teaching myself slowly the whole time so I'm not as good as I should be, and I've been poor the whole time so I haven't had as much gear as I should have. That being said, this guitar fits me well and I like it. I definitely consider it an upgrade over my Delta King, though I paid less for this one (I got lucky on Craigslist). It has a good neck, nice frets, nice pickups, and decent quality hardware, and it's just a budget guitar. It's good for most things you'd play on an LP (though I don't think it has the sustain of an LP) and you can almost play single coil stuff on it. It sounds good with pedals, and I love the bite and snarl I get with some OD and the neck pickup (think "Slob" by Weezer). If I lost it, I'd be upset because I'll never get another one for as cheap as I did, but if I did find another I'd buy it again. I think it'll be the last HH guitar I buy. I'm not going to give it solid 10s just because I love it, but I do think it deserves at least an 8 overall... It's great value and I think it can hold its own against more expensive instruments. Overall, highly recommended. // 8

More OLP reviews rating category latest review
+ MM3 5.9 Bass Guitars 03/20/2012