MM John Petrucci Signature Review

manufacturer: OLP date: 05/26/2010 category: Electric Guitars
OLP: MM John Petrucci Signature
The OLP/John Petrucci model guitar offers a beveled, Silhouette-style body design with a special contoured armrest; a Red Pearl Burst finish with paint-to-match headstock; two Humbucking pickups; a nonlocking tremolo unit; a Maple neck with an extra-flat radius Rosewood fingerboard; the trademarked.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.8
 7.9
reviews (6) 8 comments vote for this gear:
MM John Petrucci Signature Reviewed by: ownlittleworld, on july 22, 2005

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Features: This is a John Petrucci Signature guitar by OLP. When placed side by side with a musicman it is astounding at how similar they are, with this version havnig a slightly smaller neck. As far as I know this was made in 2004. It has 2 jumbo frets and the neck is very thin which is ideal for shredding and fast guitar playing. The neck is maple and the body is basswood. The finish on mine was a red pearl burst and this was the first thing that really attracted me to the guitar. It has a tremolo (non-locking) bridge, 2 direct mounted OLP humbuckers, a 3-way selector Switch, 1 volume and 1 tone knob, chrome hardware and locking tuners. Along with the guitar came a very decent case, the typical tools, a strap and some plectrums. With all the accessories and the quality in relation to the price I have to give it full marks here, brilliant for the price, great value. // 10

Sound: I play a wide range of music am mainly focus on classic rock and blues lately. The pickups sound a bit muddy and are soon to be changed. I play this through a Zoom multi effects pedal or an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff and usually through a Fender Champion 30DSP. With the stock pickups you can really get any sound you want but it's most at home when it's used for metal/shredding types of music. For a pair of stock pickups on a guitar of this price these are some of the very best I have heard. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The intonation was way out but it wasn't a huge problem. The action was low and perfect and the pickups were adjusted pretty much perfectly. The finish was flawless and looks very nice. I can't really fault it here at all. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar hasn't been played live yet. Once the pickups are changed it probably will. It definately seems like it will wistand live playing with no problems. I would feel comfortable using this without a backup. The finsih, to me anyway, looks as though it will last a good while. It's had its fair share of knocks and bumps and still looks like new. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar can handle the music I play very well, but as I said before it feels most comfortable with metal etc. I have been playing for about 7/8 years now and have played numerous higher end guitars that I feel this guitar could comfortably compete with. It's very lightweight which will probably be the first thing you notice if you actually play one and it has trouble staying in tune when the whammy bar is used. Since I don't really use it I don't have to deal with this problem though. The weight of it I find is an advantage rather than making it feel cheap. I looked around for a guitar that looked good that I could upgrade but with this very little really needs to be done. The quality for the price is what really blew me away and I am more than happy with it. If it were stolen or lost I would definately not hesitate about buying another one. Better pickups and maybe a locking trem and this would be hard to tell from the musicman version. // 10

MM John Petrucci Signature Reviewed by: jgertch, on march 01, 2006

Purchased from: GAK

Features: I think my OLP guitar was made in 2004 in china but I'm not 100% sure. It has 24 jumbo frets on a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. The body is made out of basswood and is finished of in a nice red pearl burst as the manufacturer's put it. It has two OLP humbuckers and has a non-locking tremolo. The pickups are governed by a master tone and master volume controls. It also comes with a case, strap, picks, cable, and a poster. // 7

Sound: This guitar suits my style of music which is generally shred like Petrucci, Vai, Satriani etc. I play it straight into my 15 watt Marshall amp. The sound is fairly good to say how cheap it, although the sound tends to get a bitty muddy when playing with the neck pickup on the first few frets, especially with heaps of distortion on there. There is also lots of feedback when the guitar is played loud but its nothing that can't be handled. I've given it a 9 taking into consideration the price it comes at, it will never compare to the Music Man version but thats why theres the price difference I suppose. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know what the set-up was like straight out of the box as a friend got it for me and set it up so I don't know but it was amazing when I recieved it. The body is carved in certain places to a dynamic to it and they are spotless no ruff edges in sight, the paintwork is all intact and looks wonderful. The tuning pegs are solid at the top I've had no problem with mine, except when I dive bomb the trem' but that's what I expect with a non-locking trem' I suppose. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have never gigged this guitar but I'm sure it would stand up to it, the strap buttons are a bit small but thats nothing a Dimarzio strap or some strap buttons won' fix. The finish seems to be doing alright it's had a few knocks but no paint has chipped off so far. I probably would gig this without a backup because I think it would stand up to it but taking 2 guitars wouldn't hurt. // 8

Overall Impression: The guitar is very good for any sort of metal music, this is my first electric guitar but I have played a Music Man Petrucci, and while this guitar will never compare to that guitar I feel that anybody on a budget that wants something that looks like the real deal to buy this as the sound quality is pretty good for the price. If it were stolen I would probably look for a different guitar with a Floyd Rose on as this trem' is not really suited to my style. I was originally going to purchase the OLP axis copy but I felt that the overall quality of the John Petrucci model was better. // 7

MM John Petrucci Signature Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 14, 2006

Features: Made in 2005, 24 frets with basswood body, maple neck. Red pearl burst finsk which is very attractive if not very robust and a Vintage style non locking trem, locking tuners, 3-way selector and 1 vol 1 tone. Twin humbuckers finish the gig off. // 8

Sound: I play mainly prog/instrumental metal/rock although I have a strong penchant for blues. As it came the guitar sounded very good for cheap pickups if lacking a bit in depth especially with higher gain lead sounds or clean work. I swapped 'em for a Steve's special at the bridge and an air Norton in the neck position and it just sounds awesome. The unplugged ring off the guitar is very good as well. With these pups in the guitar about the only sound I can't get straight off the bat is a nice Strat neck tone, but the GT8 I have soon sorts that out. For all other work it is very useable. Rating below is for standard pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box it needed 15 mins to get the action sorted out but after that no probs. I can't get the action quite the way I would like it which isn`t to be honest very low as I like to get under the stings in bends so if you are looking for mega low action try a few to see which one works for you. The paint finish is very nice but the body dents very easily as I found out to my dissmay. The routing inside is a mess and has no finish at all and around the pickups and trem are a bit shabby but you have to bear in mind how incredibly cheap this guitar is for what you get and none of the aforementioned problems stop it playing well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will be fine for live work although personally I have set the trem so as it is flat on the body because its not very stable for tunning and the tunners themselves are total crap, replace as soon as. Don't expect the finish to be great after a year or so though. // 8

Overall Impression: For my style it's a great guitar for very little cash, make a couple of small changes and spend another 150 on it when you can for pups and you'll have a stunning guitar for very little cash. Btw I'm playin through a Boss GT8 and a Fender performer for practise/Mesa F50 for live. Cheers and good luck. // 8

MM John Petrucci Signature Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2007

Purchased from: Belfast Guitar Emporium

Features: Made in 2006, inchina I think. It has 24 thin jumbo frets. Maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. It has a basswood body, mine has a black paint finish. Body style a bit simialr to a Strat. It has a heavy mass tremlo (through the body) with locking tuners. It has a 5-way pickup selector and a volume and bass knobs. The pickups are two Standard OLP humbuckers. Came with a bag, picks, cable and a psoter. I had this guitar in drop b without any ringing on the strings using nines. // 10

Sound: I play a load of different styles from classical to heavy metal. It suit's them all quite well but is great in heavier music like metal, which I have been playing a lot more lately. I play directly into a Roland Cube 30, it sounds great through this. It is slightly noisy on the neck pickup. It has a very full sound though, very nice tone. Harmonics are very clean through this guitar and are clearly anywhere on the fretboard. Overall it sounds great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Straight from the shop and it was great I didn't need to change anything. Everything was already setup and ready to go with a set of nines on it. I was reccomended to change to tens but I think that nines are fine. The action is just low. The pickups didn't need adjusted at all. Everything was fine on the guitar not a flaw, great finish. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think that this guitar will withstand playing Live. It is very reliable and durable. Nothing has gone wrong with it or fallien off, it hasn't cut out, except for my dodgy lead. The hardware seems like it well last quite a while. The strap buttons are solid enough, my strap has never falling off. I could depend on it playing Live, I have had theis guitar for about 6 months and so far nothing has went wrong with it. I would happily use it without a backup. The finish seems of a very high quality and looks like it well last with only a few scrapes on the body from msitreatment. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall it think that this is a superb guitar for it's price range, it fits perfectly in with most styles, but is best in heavy music like metal. I have been playing for about 2 years and own a prs, Strat and a Yamaha pacifica as well as the OLP. If it was stolen or lost I would buy this guitar again. I compared it to a Fender Telecaster when buying and prefered this guitar to it. It would be nice with a floyd rose. // 9

MM John Petrucci Signature Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 16, 2009

Features: I don't know when it was made, but I know it was made in China. (Eventhough the salesman told me it was Korea...) It has a nice look and a nice feel. It has 2 humbuckers, 3-way selector, a tremelo and a red-burst finish. A gig bag and cable were included, aswell as a poster. I got it for my 18th birthday. // 8

Sound: It has a nice sound going through a Roland Cube 15w. I like to use distortion, and the kind of music I bought this for is mainly blues and rock; Steve Vai and Stevie Ray Vaughan being my favourite guitarists. There's quite a lot of variety in the guitars tone. The neck pickup sounds completely different from the bridge pickup. The guitar is not so noisy. It also stays in tune quite well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As a beginner, I'm not sure about how well it's set up and such. What I can tell, however, is that when I got it it worked perfectly fine and I was real happy, but after 3 days, the toneknob got looser and looser and eventualy broke. The guitar now does nothing at all, it gives no more sound, on none of the pickups. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons are actualy great, I don't think the strap will ever fall off. I guess I just had bad luck because my tone knob died. But I don't think you should bring this anywhere without a backup guitar. The finish looks like it'll last a long time... // 2

Overall Impression: I own a cheap classical guitar, which I used to play quite much. I want to play mostly blues and rock. The next time I will buy a guitar, I will check where it's made and such myself, because the salesman didn't know what he was talking about: OLP is not owned by Fender and it's not made in China! If it were stolen I wouldn't get it again, in fact I wouldn't get anything by OLP. They're pretty guitars and they sound good; the quality is worthless, eventhough I might've had bad luck, but I wouldn't risk getting another crappy-quality guitar. No wonder OLP retired. I wish it had decent quality. I was really happy and it sounds great, so if you do want to buy one, make sure it has waranty and try to see if they can check the electronics for you. Wasting 250 bucks is no fun. // 2

MM John Petrucci Signature Reviewed by: MetalHammer93, on may 26, 2010

Purchased from: RIFF Music Shop

Features: Guitar made in 2004 in China (as far as I know), Although a lot (probably most) of the electronics are Korean (apparently). Main features: Basswood body Maple neck Rosewood fingerboard 2 black humbuckers (stock OLP) Sealed, die-cast locking tuners Heavy mass trem bridge 24 jumbo frets Chrome hardware 25-1/2" scale 1vol/1tone/3-way toggle controls OLP JP Signature Model is bacically cheaper version of the MusicMan John Petrucci Signature line. Included an OLP Strap, (Bass O_o) picks and Gig bag, and a John Petrucci signed poster. // 7

Sound: I play my OLP through a 30 Watt Peavey Vypyr (at home) and a Marshall JCM2000(at band practices). The only effects I use are Blackstar HT-DISTX Distortion Pedal. I play mostly Metal (Metallica, Pantera, Slayer sound) and I have to say that the guitar is pretty good with almost anything I throw at it. Although saying that pick-ups are a little too bassy for my liking (both neck and bridge p-ups) and if I don't turn the bass down a notch on my amp, it takes over the sound slightly. Other than that, both distorted and clean sounds are pretty rich and... Not noisy (doesn't buzz or anything like that). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar 2 years ago and I was a complete and utter noob to the guitar business, so I can't really remember how the action was, but I think it was set up pretty well...? Pick-ups, as I said, are a little too bassy for my liking. I might lower them a bit so the bass doesn't cut through as much. Also, after a while both knobs got a bit loose and broke, so I replaced them with american ones and had them fitted in properly, hopefully that will last a bit longer. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've played one gig with this guitar, and quite a few band practices with no back up, so from that I'd say this guitar is pretty durable and reliable. As I said though, I had some problems with the electronics, all the knobs started messing up, my toggle snapped and my jack input stopped working, but it might have been my fault. Also, the bridge isn't too good. Every time I used it, guitar goes out of tune... So I stopped using it. I might replace the bridge for a locking trem, if'll decide to upgrade this guitar a bit. I rate it a 6. This guitar is reliable and durable, but if one thing goes wrong with it, everything else tends to follow it. So I'd bring a replacement, If you're lucky enough to have one. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar suits my guitar playing pretty well. I'm still a beginner, been playing for just over a year, but this light body, beautifully cut neck and cutaway make my learning hell of a lot easier! As I said I play mostly metal, but some clean and jazzy/bluesy tones come up every now and again. This guitar nails them ALMOST beautifully, if not the cutting through bass sound this guitar would be by far the best sounding beginner-to-intermediate guitar... PERIOD. Compared to some other guitars I tried in this price range, cheap LTDs, INDIE, BC Rich, this guitar is pretty amazing, althought finnish quality could be a lot better. It's probably not the best, but one of the better ones. I wish the electronics in this guitar were a bit higher quality, and that the bridge was either a locking trem, or a trem that stayed in tune if you used it. But you can't have everything I suppose... Not for 200 quid. If some one stole it (or if I lost it) I'd probably save up for a slightly better guitar, but I'd buy it again later on and probably replace some parts and have it a 'fun' guitar. // 6

More OLP reviews rating category latest review
+ MM1 8.6 Electric Guitars 05/23/2012