Viper 3 Review

9.2
 6.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Viper 3 Reviewed by: doneaster, on october 17, 2011

Features: I believe it was made in 1979 0r 1980 in the USA. It has a 24 fret bolt on maple neck with normal size frets. It's a solid top, I'm not sure what kind of wood it's made out of but I think it's Ash, the finish is sunburst. The body style is similar to a Les Paul with a single cutaway. All 24 frets are accessible. The bridge is made of brass with a space age nylon cover over part of it. It has passive electronics and 3 single coil Ovation designed pick-ups. The pick-ups are individually control by 3 on-0ff switches for each individual pick-up. Each switch also acts as a kill switch for each pick-up so you can get the "Bucket Head" kill switch sound. The tuners are Ovation Schaller Chrome tuners and work great. It came with the original Ovation Hardshell case which does a great job of protecting the guitar. // 9

Sound: It suits my music style just fine I play mostly Classic Rock, Country and Blues and I can get a lot of good tone out of this guitar. I play it thru a Peavey 75 Watt Vypyr Amplifier which has many different effects built in and occasionally I'll play thru a Behringer GM-110. It usually isn't noisy unless you are near Fluorescent lights, because it does have single coil pickups but like a Strat if two of the pickups are selected it acts like a humbucker and quites it right down. It is capable of producing almost any kind of sound and it sounds so much like a Fender Strat that it's amazing. It can be used to play almost any style of music with the right amp and effects. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it the action was set-up just fine, the only thing I did to it was I lowered the pick-ups to produce a warmer tone. They were adjusted much too close to the strings which gave it too bright of a tone. The wood grain was bookmatched very well and the hardware was right on. This guitar has no flaws that I can detect it's very well made, quality all the way Ovation really had it together when these guitars were manufactured. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live playing and I would gig without a back-up if I needed to but I usually take at least 2 guitars to a gig anyway. The hardware on this guitar is top notch and for a guitar that is about 30 years old is has held up very well and could last many more years with proper care. The finish is excellent and it doesn't have any flaws or bad scratches in it, and should last me the rest of my life if it needed to. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I stated above I play mostly Classic Rock and country and blues and this guitar is a good match for all. I've been playing for 45 years and I own 4 Peavey Guitars, 2 Ovation Vipers, this one and a regular 2 pick-up viper. Also a Samick, Valley Arts Telecaster that is also a great sounding guitar. I also have a Kona Acoustic Electric and a Michael Hybrid Special which is an electric guitar and an Acoustic Electric all in one guitar which is also a great sounding guitar. I play thru 3 different amps depending on the size of the venue, and what guitar I'm playing, I have a Peavey 75 Watt Vypyr and a Behringer Gm-110 30 watt and a Behringer Untracoustic AX-900 that I play the acoustic electrics thru and I use it as a PA in small venues. If you can find one of these guitars latch on to it as a good investment they are very collectible and will only increase in value. If this guitar was lost or stolen it would be very difficult for me to find another one, they are very rare. It took me 2 years of searching and bidding on e-bay to get this one, but I would try to find another one. I like the tones and the extreme playability of this guitar it sounds great and really looks great. I don't dislike anything about it. It's unique tone is what I like best about it. // 9

More Ovation reviews rating category latest review
+ CC24-4 Celebrity 8.4 Acoustic Guitars 03/21/2014