Slingshot STD Review

manufacturer: Palmer date: 10/10/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Palmer: Slingshot STD
I love the tones of this guitar, the combination of Mahogany + maple + alnico pick ups = Win, and for the price this guitar is an EPIC WIN!
 5.7
 8.2
 3.2
review (1) pictures (5) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Slingshot STD Reviewed by: andy160895, on october 10, 2012

Features: This guitar its handcrafted in Indonesia in 2012, it has 24 jumbo frets, its made of mahogany with a maple top, I think the scale of the neck is 24.5" but I'm not really sure of that, the neck is ebony with rosewood fretboard, it feels fat and solid like a Les Paul neck. Mine is transparent red, you can see the difference between the top of maple, because all the guitar is painted but the sides of the top aren't painted and also you can look the lines of the wood down the red paint, that looks killer. The body is like a combination between a Superstrat and a Les Paul, I mean you got a standard tremolo and a body of a Superstrat, but the woods combinations are similar to the woods of the standard Les Pauls. It has 2 Alnico-V Humbuckers, a 3 way switch, a 2 knobs one volume and one tone with split coils. The only big problem with this guitar are the jack and the volume and tone pot, the pots are really bad, if you touch the volume knob maybe you mute the guitar, you lost all your sound when you try to use the knobs, similar problems with the tone knob, but, the 2 pots cost less than $2. The tuners are good, but, when you use the bridge it will go out of tune. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of different genres (blues, funk, Hard Rock and Metal) and suits very well with most of this styles, specially with the Hard Rock and the blues, you can play metal, but I don't recommend this well maybe if you change the pickups, I mean you can play thrash and heavy, but sometimes you feel like you can't get enough gain with the original pickups. The pickups are made by palmer, but sounds great, in clean when you select the neck pickup it sounds fat, sweet and warmy, in the middle you got a similar sound but with more treble, the bridge pick up sound really good in clean you can have very clean and clear sounds. Whit distortion when you select the bridge pick up you have a tone perfect for a lead guitar or for do solos, when you select the neck you have a more rhythmic tone, in the middle you can have like the best of both worlds, I personally use the 3 difference combinations when I'm in a solo. For the moment I'm running this guitar trough different amps: - Peavey Envoy 110 - Peavey Vypyr 15 - Fender Mustang II But, lately I just run the guitar to a Boss GT-3 and then to the console. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: when I first brought this guitar to my home I play it in a Peavey Vypyr 15 combo amp and the guitar was so noisy! Later I just paste pieces of aluminum in the walls of the wire hole and this help so much for reduce the noise. The volume in the pickup was to low, so I just adjust them to the high that I want. It has solid woods so its great, the most of the guitars in the range of the Palmer Slingshot are made with laminated woods. The pots are just shit hahaha. I don't use the bridge, I mean you can use it once in a while but if you use it every day is a pain in the ass, you have to be retuning every minute the guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I play live every week whit this guitar and feels awesome, I don't have any problems with the straps buttons or the tuners, I use a lot of bends and never get out of tune, the only time that I need to retune the guitar is when I use a lot the bridge. For the moment I don't have a back up guitar. The finish seems good. The guitar is very light, so you can run for all the stage without carry for the back pain hahahaha. // 9

Overall Impression: Amazing woods, maybe I would change the pickups in a nearly future fore some Seymour Duncans. I play since 4 or 3 years now, I've play this guitar since the April of this year. Maybe if someone stole me this guitar I wouldn't buy it again, its a good first, second or back up guitar for gigs. I love the tones of this guitar, the combination of Mahogany + maple + alnico pick ups = Win, maybe aren't the best sounding pick ups but in my country this guitar cost ($230) and for the price is an EPIC WIN! I think this guitar kick the asses of a lot of guitars in that price range (Washburns Aon, the low range of Squier Strats, Epiphone Les Pauls Special, etc...) with a change of pickups this is a monster of guitar! // 9

More Palmer reviews rating category latest review
+ Solid Metal 7.4 Guitar Effects 08/17/2012