NiteFly SA Review

manufacturer: Parker date: 09/09/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Parker: NiteFly SA
With its ultra-light swamp ash body, the NiteFly SA has a lively, fast response that's ideal for clean pickin' and cut-it-with-a-knife rhythms. The tone is guttural and clean, yet swampy and spicy, thanks to that swamp ash magic. Combined with a solid mahogany neck, the NiteFly SA produces a ballsy low end and wonderful glimmering highs.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 8.6
 9.7
 7.4
reviews (3) 23 comments vote for this gear:
NiteFly SA Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 31, 2005

Features: Made in 2000 in the USA. 22 frets. Glass composite fret board. Solid black finish. Fishman piezo pickups in the bridge, active and passive switchable electronics. 1 volume for normal pickups and 1 volume control for piezo, 1 tone knob, 5-way Switch. 3-way Switch for piezo and magnetic pickups (just magnetics, both, just piezo). One bridge pickup and two single coils. DiMarzio pickups and fishman piezo. Locking Sperzel tuners, easy access to truss rod, amazing whammy bar and easy to change strings. // 10

Sound: This guitar fits every style of music I play. Jazz, metal, funk, hard rock, blues. I often use an octave pedal and it sounds completely amazing. The best distortions I've found for it are a Boss MT-2 and a Boss Distortion pedal. Phase shifters also sound really cool. It can have a full sound, bright sound, anything. It's the most versatile guitar I've ever owned. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is amazing, you barely have to press down and there is no buzz anywhere on the neck. All the wiring is perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is invincible (and also has graphite in the ingredients that make it up). The strap has never fallen off once for me, the hardware has been in perfect condition. I would play a whole tour with just this one guitar and I would have no worries. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the ultimate guitar for any player. The only thing that's argueable is the way it looks. You either love it or you don't. It's definitely original though. I'm glad I bought it and would buy it again. In fact I plan on buying another Parker very soon. I even believe it's worth all the money. It'll last you long enough to make up for it. // 10

NiteFly SA Reviewed by: Xo0phoenix0oX, on may 03, 2007

Features: I am the proud owner of a 98-99 model Parker nitefly (back then it was simply the nitefly, the SA model would be the nearest comparison, because Parker has now made different models of this guitar). Mine is black with a black pickguard. The mahogany neck with a carbon-glass composite fretboard is absolutely amazing on these guitars. They are simply one of the smoothest playing experiences I have ever had. The frets are all stainless steel, a process which Parker invented and after years of playing I swear to you they show no wear. At this point I am in serious doubt of whether or not I will ever require a fret job on this guitar. They use some special process to do the frets, you can read more at the Parker website, but if this guitar ever gets to that point, a fret job would probably be no small process unfortunately, but if at this point they're still going strong, I don't think I'll have much to worry about. It has a volume selector, 5 way tone, and two tone knobs, though one is inactive unless the Piezo acoustic pickup system is engaged, and a three way pickup selection knob. The Sperzel tuners are awesome for quick string changes as well. // 10

Sound: this guitar has an extremely wide range of tone. With the neck pickups engaged it has a very bright quality which can sound killer when distorted. The bridge humbucker is full and tone heavy (DiMarzio did a killer job on these things). I'm a jazz student and use this guitar for everything from jazz to swing to classic rock and beyond and it sounds great doing all of them with a few minor amp setting tweaks. The versitility is outstanding. The Piezo acoustic pickups sound excellent as well. If substituting an acoustic fill or something it sounds believable and very clean, but don't expect to sell your Ovation if you're playing Live acoustic shows. I also play a lot of metal, and the only drawback for me is that this is not a shredding guitar. When playing metal it just seems to lack that low end kick you in the teeth nasty tone. The low tones are clean and fat, just not for metal. This is the only reason I'm rating it at nine, as I enjoy using it for everything else. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The 22 Fret neck is set with a very comfortable low action with nine gauge strings. I have tweaked my pickup positions to my suiting, but the factory setting was good as I remember, I just like to do my own thing. These things are factory SET for nine gauge strings. To put heavier strings on it I had to grind the pegs on the bridge a bit to get the intonation just right which suggests that Parker says nine gauges only. I string it up with D'Addario EXL tens, as I was afraid to go much heavier on it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is the most reliable, durable, and dependable instrument that I have ever personally owned. I believe at this point that I could run it over with a truck, crack the neck in half and it would still stay in tune. I have abused it and the only time I've gotten it to pop out of tune is when the strings are Brand New and I'm stretching the heck out of them. I would use this guitar no backup no problem and not worry a bit. If I could give it an eleven here, I seriously would. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great and very versatile guitar with surprising sustain. I've had it years and am still not sick of playing it. I would Switch to a Jackson for some good old fashioned metal rhythm shredding, but if you're doing anything else, I firmly believe that you can do it with this guitar. I've been playing for years, though I just started taking lessons and working on a performance degree, and the more that I grow as a player, the more I realize that I really can do almost anything with my Parker. If someone stole it, I would dedicate every spare moment to finding him and bash his head against a rock until he coughed up my Parker. // 10

NiteFly SA Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 09, 2009

Features: The NiteFly SA certainly earns high marks in terms of number of features. The swamp Ash body combines nicely with a mahogany core neck, wrapped with a carbon glass composite. Stainless steel frets add another echelon of durability to this fine instrument. The pickups are American Dimarzios, a humbucker in the bridge, complemented by two single coils. Also, a Fishman 6 element piezo system graces the bridge, and electronics are included for both the piezo system and the magnetic pickups. A stereo switching smart jack allows for the seperation of the Acoustic and electric tones, as long as you have the proper "Y" cable. Also, the bridge is a unique Parker tremolo system that has the capability of being a fixed bridge, a tremoo system, or a floating bridge. All in all, when you pay for a Parker, you get your money's worth in terms of features. // 10

Sound: It would be very difficult to find a style of music the Parker Nitefly can't produce. Each feature it possesses is of high quality, so when you do switch settings to suit your style of music, your guaranteed an excellent tone. The swamp Ash body makes for a very clean cut and biting tone that easily cuts through the mix. It can also add a nice tone foundation for lead playing. The only drawback that I can attest to ist he fact that the Dimarzios lack a certain punch and body when played in the Nitefly. The guitar certainly has genuine enough construction as to not hinder tone, but the Dimarzios do not seem up to the task of producing a thick enough tone. Teh dimarzios sound great, but need more life in them to make a truly excellent tone. Overall, however, each setting and pickup sounds amazing if set right, it simply could be more. Perhaps some duncans? // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used, so I'm not entirely sure if I'm playing the factory set up, or if someone has already had it professionally set up. Either way, the guitar plays great. It's set up with nines, and combining them with the glass epoxy fretboard makes it the fastest and smoothest guitar I've ever played. The tremolo system is flawless. I have mine set on the tremelo setting, and no matter what I do to it, I can't get it to pop out of tune. I've been over every inch of the guitar, and I can't find a production flaw either. Parker did a wonderful job with this guitar. My only critique is a possible sharp element in my piezo bridge, as my D string keeps snapping all too regularly, at the same point. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Solid as a rock! The neck feels comfortable, yet indestructible. The Body is light, but solid, brushed aluminum USA tuners, stainless steel frets. This guitar was definetly built to last. I took off the pickguard, simply to check out the internal workings of the guitar, and was impressed with the quality of soldering and the attention to detail. The tremelo system was set up wonderfully, and the sires I could see were all properly shielded and connected. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is a phenomenal instrument. I play everything from rock, to blues, to metal, to clean, and this guitar delivers. My only complaint is the lack of punch due to the dimarzios. However, this is simply comparing "awesome sound" to "awesomest sound." I've been playing for six years, and this is my second Parker. I was caught between this and a Gibson SG, but when I played the two next to each other, the Nitefly simply offered more features and a boatload of tonal possibilities. // 9

More Parker reviews rating category latest review
+ PM20-Pro 8 Electric Guitars 07/08/2014