P-44 Review

7.1
reviews (4) 26 comments vote for this gear:
P-44 Reviewed by: darth_b, on may 13, 2008

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Mahogany body, bolt on maple neck with ebony fingerboard, 2 humbuckers, piezo bridge, pickup, vibrato bridge, grover 18:1 tuners, active preamp, mags and piezo can be summed mono or split stereo, mag volume, piezo volume, single tone control which pulls, up to activate single coils in mags with hum cancelling. Gig bag, stereo cable included. Really a 9.5 rating, would have given it a 10 if it had dual tone controls, and locking tuners, but maybe I'm too harsh for the price. // 9

Sound: I play a wide range of music, from rock to blues to country. Use a Vox AC15 for the mags, and a Roland accoustic amp for the piezo. This guitar has great sound, and a very wide range of sounds. The dual humbuckers sound very good, although an upgrade would improve it. The piezo gives a very good accoustic tone. Blending them gives a real depth and shimmer to your sound. Pretty much any guitar tone you want is in there waiting for your skill to bring out. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar action was a little high when I received, but it had been slightly used as a store demo model and I think it was due for a tune up anyway. I replaced strings and spent a couple of hours doing the setup and got a quite low setup with no buzz and very good intonation. I'm sure a new from factory would be much closer to ideal. Finish is beautiful and flawless. Neck seated so well you can't slide a playing card into the neck joint. Neck is so easy to adjust with adjust wheel on body end. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Everything is rock solid on this guitar. I had one of the pickups go out soon after I acquired. I called Parker and they gave me a local place to take it for warranty repair. This place ended up being closed so I called back and they suggested Sweetwater since it is only an hour from my house. They fixed it within a week and I was back on the road. Both Parker and Sweetwater were very helpful. Since then I have banged it around quite a bit with no issues. // 10

Overall Impression: You can play any music you want on this guitar. It is very flexible. I take it on the road with me and never need to use a backup. I did replace the Standard tuners with grover locking tuners. The Standard grovers are very good, but with a lot of trem use they can go out of tune. So the locking tuners helped that and make string changes a lot faster. This would be a great guitar for anyone, for any type of music. // 10

P-44 Reviewed by: ToneMasterDelux, on july 06, 2011

Purchased from: Music store

Features: I'm not exactly sure what year it is but strangely mine is made in Indonesia, that being said it is great anyways. The neck is nice and thing really fast and made out of maple. Mine is solid mahogany with natural finish. The body is a strange sort of off Strat style thing and to me looks pretty jazzy, the body is fairly thin and has really nice contours and is really comfortable to me, except maybe in some sitting positions. Comes with a trem Bridge which surprisingly doesn't de-tune it too badly. This has two Parker (may be wrong name) Stinger active pickups which really bring out the lows and hi's, oh and an Acoustic pickup in the bridge. This has 3 knobs and even a push pull for coil splitting. Tuners are non-locking grovers and work pretty well I'm about to upgrade to locking. There are also two 3 way selectors but I'd watch a video to see the sounds they make and what they do it takes up too much writing space. Mine came with a gig bag whammy truss adjuster, hex wrench and a silk? Polishing rag. // 8

Sound: I must say this guitar really suits my style. I love to play Funk, blues, and jazz and some forms of rock. The active pickups alone are not "for metal" they are more of a powerful sound that gives it great bass and highs and I love it. I thought the Acoustic pickup wouldn't sound good on fuzz and stuff but it actually adds alot of power to the sound and makes nice rich warm tones and can be used in many unexpected ways. The humbuckers alone in full on position make a great blues bassy sound while if you split them and maybe add the Acoustic pickup you can get good higher tones and really rich funk and jazz maj and min chords. This guitar has so many possible combos I am still trying to figure it out. One of the best features about this guitar is it is almost completely silent and that is on my crappy amp. Speaking of amps I'm writing all this thinking about the sounds coming from my small 20w, the amp I used at the store (crate maybe) really brought out the guitars potential but this will sound good on almost any amp. I must conclude with saying if your are looking for a "metal guitar" this is NOT it. Those of you looking for "metal guitars" know that almost any guitar that can handle heavy distortion can be good for metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up on this is great, mine has nice low action and is still intonated everything in this guitar fits together perfectly and the neck looks great. The finish is near perfect with only one very minor almost unnoticeable dent probably made by the owner, there is some weird finish thing going on on the first fret side but it doesn't effect the playing at all and doesn't look bad just a bit weird. The electronics are nice and steady and have no problems at all no noise when switching or changing volume, I was rocking out pretty hard and flipped the Switch then wondered how the sound changed so its pretty quiet. As for all-together look this looks nice and jazzy and the silver pickup covers with the nice brown Orange mahogany looks great and the headstock gives it a new age jazz feeling. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would use this live anytime but I would like to have a hardshell because the headstock scares me a bit. Hardware is great nice and sturdy and well built, could be better though. Now for the strap buttons, placing is somewhat strange and I don't know if I like it, there is the Standard button near the Bridge while the other is on the backside of the horn which is curved for that reason I think. Usually it is on the top of the horn but I think they did this for looks. They kinda scare me because the one on the horn just seems weird. I find it plenty dependable and it was made to last very solid. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar would work for any styles except for anything with heavy overdrive, it does sound good with fuzz though. I would purchase one of these again if I had to, Parker is pretty underrated (or just unknown). There is nothing at all I hate. My cousin likes my P44 as much as his Fender USA Deluxe. My favorite feature is the active pups and the Acoustic pup, people will say things about replacing the pups but they fit me perfect and unless you want heavy distortion I would leave them they are great, people pay to much for the name especially with guitar products, if it sounds good to you buy it, or keep it. Seymour Duncans sound good but I can say for sure some pickups compared side by side would sound the same and I believe in a blind sound test this could beat some of the higher end expensive pickups. Its not about price its about personal preferance. This guitar cannot be compared to anything else I know it is very innovative and excellent for the price, I don't thing I'll buy another guitar for years. The one thing I wish it had is locking tuners and maybe the strap button on the back of the neck, that's really it. // 9

P-44 Reviewed by: JRock589, on july 27, 2006

Features: The P-44 has all the signature capabilities of the high-end Parker Fly in a beautiful solid-mahogany body.The humbuckers deliver twang and shimmer with plenty of attitude. The split coil lets you get a pseudo-single-coil sound, with zero hum. Count on the piezos for a very realistic acoustic sound, then mix them with the magnetics for a hybrid that introduces a whole new dimension to music. // 10

Sound: This guy has a wide vareity of sound and tone, although for some metal heads the included Parker stinger humbuckers might be a little weak. I'm currently using it with a Behringer V-Amp 2, and a Fender Frontman 25R, and it performs extremly well. It's so versatile with the piezo and coil tap control, it can get all the sounds needed for nearly any genre of music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got this guitar it was extremly well set up, the action was set to a desirable level, the pickups were fairly well adjusted, everything seemed to be in near-perfect condition. But of course, it still needed some personalizing. This guitar was flawless, the finish is excellent, and the build is just amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've already used the the P-44 for a live show, and it faired extremly well, because of it's build it's near indestrucible, although I wouldent want to find out the extent of this feature, as I wouldn't want to lose the guitar. My only concern with this guitars reliability is the fact the whole guitar seems to rely on the 9 volt battery thats inserted into the back of the guitar, this is because of the preamp/mixer system thats placed into the internal electronics. I always keep a spare batterie, and a spare guitar, just incase. // 8

Overall Impression: The P-44 was a near-perfect match for me, especially the price tag, I couldent ask for better. I would of expected to pay another $500-$1000 for a guitar of this quality. I have to put some stress here on my only problem with this guitar, the battery supply, there have been numberous occasions when I've gone to practise, and that annoying little red light comes on and I lose allot of tone and volume. So the price of the 9 volts to power it can be irritating. Looking beyond that, this guitar is incredible, I definitly reccomend it for all players, well except for those Who dont enjoy the looks, you either love it, or you hate it. // 9

P-44 Reviewed by: RGshred88, on september 12, 2008

Purchased from: American Musical

Features: The Parker P-44 is what is called the "poor man's fly." Nevertheless, this guitar has many features that will satisfy even professionals. Unlike the Flys, the P series is assembled in Indonesia but setup in the US. This is a 22 fret bolt-on neck with Precision joint screws so it is very stable. The neck is made of curly maple with a rosewood (although others have ebony) fingerboard. The neck width is similar to a Gibson SG, not too thin, not too thick, just perfect. The headstock has 18:1 Grover tuners and a Graphtech nut. The body is solid mahogany in natural clear coat (also comes in trans red and black). Personally, I love the style. It's either you love it or you hate it. The body shape is a little different than the Flys however, but it is still very thin and comfortable. The bridge is a Wilkinson tremolo with peizo pickups for acoustic playing. There is a Fishman active stereo preamp but the Parker Stinger humbuckers are passive. There are plenty of controls, including volume, contour, push/pull coil tap, 3 way pickup selector, peizo volume, and 3 way peizo/mag blend Switch. Comes with a very nice gig bag and some basic tools. // 10

Sound: The sound is incredible. The mahogany really has a nice earthy tone that gives great upper register and deep low end. This guitar screams versatility, so anything I want to play this axe can make the sound. I play through a Peavey Valveking 1 x 12 with an Electro-Harmonix #1 echo in the effects loop and a Dunlop Crybaby wah 535Q through input. The humbucking gives great rock tones on any gain level and is also very nice for Satriani-style shredding, a personal favorite. However to get Hendrix type attack and tone a simple pull of the center knob will change the humbuckers to single coils running in parallel, so theoretically no noise should be present. However there is more noise, but not nearly enough to cause concern. Runnng clean, the notes sing. Switching to peizo, the acoustical brightness really comes out. However I found there wasn't enough body to it, so I actually play through a cheap bass amp which sounds surprisingly amazing. The key is to run the amps so that you can Switch between them from the onboard 3 way peizo switch, allowing mags, mags and peizo, and peizo. There is a small Switch on the battery compartment that toggles between mono and stereo outputs. Until I figure out how to work this or get the money to buy the equipment, I'm fine just switching amps. The only thing I would do to improve the sound is replace the pickups with Duncans or DiMarzios, because let's face it the stocks aren't the best thing out there. Otherwise, the guitar does everything I want it to do and then some. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Upon receiving the guitar, I was thrilled how it felt and played. It was setup quite well, however some tinkering was needed, but Who cares? I like to set things up myself because ultimately I'm the one playing it, not Parker guitars. I did have one issue though. Every time I used the whammy bar the thing went horribly out of tune. I am used to playing with a Floyd Rose but I was barely touching it. Even worse, if the bar was pulled up a little, the bridge would stay there, and the tuning would stay up in pitch. Pressing it back down would return to the normal position but every string was out of tune. I promptly asked for advice and came across nut sauce, which is basically Teflon and graphite. I used it thinking the nut was a little too new and was rubbing on the strings. It did help a little. Eventually I realized every time I would bend, mainly on the G string, it would go out of tune. Turns out all the tuning pegs were loose. So I tightened them real good and there hasn't been a problem since. Very irritating though; you would think the peg would be fastened on well, but as long as the problem is fixed I'm ok. Again, aside from that everything else is perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig often, but hands down this guitar will be good for many years. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from blues to shred to jazz. I'm more than happy with the quality and versatility of this instrument. I don't know why more guitarists don't play parkers (aside from the style). If it was stolen, first I'd try to find the guy and kill him, but I'd absolutely buy another. The only thing I wish it had would be the "no pickup rings" look like the Flys do, because the cream rings are a little of an eyesore. I'll just get chrome equivalents. Bottom line, if you're thinking of this guitar, get it! // 9

More Parker reviews rating category latest review
+ PDF60 7.1 Electric Guitars 04/17/2014