513 Rosewood Review

manufacturer: Paul Reed Smith date: 09/20/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: 513 Rosewood
The 513 Rosewood features a newly developed PRS pickup system, providing 13 modern and vintage sounds utilizing 5 proprietary single coil pickups. Other specifications include a Brazilian rosewood neck, Brazilian rosewood fretboard, 25 1/4" inch scale length, a redesigned neck joint, new 513 bird inlays and a new easy-to-use integrated electronics control package which includes a volume control, tone control, and two blade switches.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 9.1
 9.9
 8.3
reviews (2) 91 comments vote for this gear:
513 Rosewood Reviewed by: Ken Robertson, on april 14, 2006

Purchased from: Merchant City Music, Glasgow

Features: Purchased new in 2005 and imported from the USA, my 513 has a red body with maple edge and gold hardware. The body, which is a double cut away, has a carved highly-figured maple 10 top and mahogany back. The Brazilian rosewood 22-fret neck is fitted with mother of pearl bird inlays. The headstock matches the neck with inlaid mother of pearl PRS signature and 513 plate. The Electronics consist of 5 proprietary single coil pickups, volume and tone control with 5-way blade pickup selector (treble, treble/middle, middle, middle/base, bass) 3-way blade mode selector (heavy humbucking, clear humbucking, single coil). The guitar is fitted with a PRS tremolo and locking tuners (Grommet style). A good quality rectangular hard case was included. // 10

Sound: The sound is excellent. I play a lot of Santana music, the 513 has a rich and full sound which suits this style beautifully. I have an Marshall AVT150H amp and AVT412A half stack. The 5-way pickup selector allied with the 3-way mode selector, give the 513 the versatility of producing a number of subtly different sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of its case, the guitar was well set-up requiring no adjustment. The guitar came with no flaws. The standard of the finishing shows very high craftsmanship, from the beautiful crafting of fine woods to the stunning gloss finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The 513 is noticeably heavier than my other guitars, but it is of very solid construction. The strap buttons are good and solid with a wide button head for extra safety. The guitar has had no failures of any kind and I play it regularly. The locking tuners ensure that it doesn't go out of tune easily. // 9

Overall Impression: I have only been playing for a couple of years now and also own a US Fender Strat, Gibson SG Supreme and Ibanez AT300. However, my 513 is my pride and joy, a beautifully crafted quality item that sounds as good as it looks. If lost or stolen, I would be heartbroken and would definitely order another. Expensive yes, but quality items usually are. I would recommend the 513 to anyone. This is a great guitar. // 10

513 Rosewood Reviewed by: flyingfrenchfry, on september 20, 2007

Sound: My style of music includes hard rock and metal. I also love to play scales and appregiate chords on this guitar. I'm using it with a Marshall H/S. As far as instrument specifications I'm kind of a dune, but in laymans terms, this guitar is sick! I'm not biased because I have one, either. I also own a Fender Strat (American) and an Ibanez Iceman. The first guitar is about $375 new and the iceman was about $650. The PRS was $2100, which is pricey, but I'm telling you from experience it is worth every penny. The stock pickups are a dream. With seven settings (tones), you can reach any sound you want. I usually keep it on the first setting because that is the most "trebly" sound and is good for shredding and power chords. The action is awesome. My fingers can play this guitar so easily. It really makes the transition from chords, solos, and scales sooo easy. It isn't too heavy either. It stays in tune perfectly. I play this guitar about 2 hours per day and only have to retune it every other day. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Right out of Guitar Center, this machine was ready! As I've stated before I'm not knowledgeable on the technical aspects of the specifications of these instruments (but maybe you can relate to someone like that more), but I am an experienced player (7 years) and pretty decent all around. I've played many other PRS models and years, and they are all such good quality. Bottom line: if you see the letters 'PRS' on a guitar, please know that that is a quality instrument and you won't be disapponed (although if you are buying form Guitar Center, you can almost certainly talk them down up to 600 dollars, so please do). // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played Live with this guitar and I'm telling you now I can't think of any other guitar I've played that is this competent. I've owned it for three years and as gentle as I try to be with my instruments, they still all tend to go through hell. But this one just holds up and I expect it to keep going strong for several years to come. Extremely dependable. The finish is amazing and all the materials are quality crafted. The only thing I might advise is caution when you are plugging in your cable. The nut got a little loose after the second year of player, but I must admit I would jam the cable in carelessly. I don't think it's manufacturing defect, because I was so harsh with it. // 10

Overall Impression: When people think of PRS, an image of Carlos Santana may come to mind or something. Most metalheads, gothcores, emo's, or hardcore guitar players don't think of a PRS when rocking out. They think of Jackson, Ibanez, etc. Well I love bands with hard riffs like Killswitch, The Black Dahlia Murder, etc. and this guitar can handle the hard picking of a dropped tuning. It will give you some power man. Think of a 427ci enging in a classic muscle car. Or even a 502. Don't let the pretty birds or the shiny finish fool you. Again, I'm not biased, I've owned six other guitars, check my ratings of them and see that I am fair in my ratings. Good luck if you are trying to buy a guitar. // 10

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review