CE 22 Review

manufacturer: Paul Reed Smith date: 05/02/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: CE 22
The CE 22 has a slightly shorter than CE 24, stiffer neck and the full tone of our 22 fret models.
 9.6
 9.8
 9.3
reviews (4) 12 comments vote for this gear:
CE 22 Reviewed by: Miracle_Man, on january 18, 2008

Features: It is a 2006 PRS CE 22 made in the USA. Almost identical to its 24 fret (CE 24) brother, but with a few different features. The 22 fret model has covered PRS Dragon II pickups and a wide-fat neck. This guitar has a Mahogany body (optional maple top) and 25" scale maple neck with rosewood fretboard. The finish on my guitar is a high gloss over red stained mahogany. The guitar is available in a variety of different finishes, also with the option of a figured maple top, although, mine looks absolutely gorgeous with the red mahogany and is not too flashy. The body style of the PRS is basically a cross between a Stratocaster and a Les Paul, with the benefits of each, a double cutaway and carved top with dual humbucking pickups. The bridge is a PRS tremolo, an amazing piece of hardware which, combined with the locking tuners which come as Standard, rarely goes out of tune with moderate use. The bridge is capable of doing Strat-style vibrato, to full out Van Halen divebombs! Although, not being a locking bridge, it will go out of tune from time to time with prolonged heavy use. The guitar features passive electronics, single tone and volume controls, and a five way rotary Switch. The 24 fret model comes with a three way Switch and a push/pull tone control. Also, I believe that you can get this 3-way, push/pull configuration as an option on the 22 fret one. With the 5-way, you can choose either just the Treble Pickup, Outside coils in parallel, Series single coils, Parallel single coils, or just the Bass Pickup, a great variety of sounds. The tuners are PRS 14:1 Phase II low mass locking tuners. The Guitar came in a sturdy hard case with a plush black interior. This is an awesome guitar with lots of different features. It takes the best from two leading guitars and blends the best bits of both, effectively producing a super-guitar. // 10

Sound: It suits my style perfectly. I tend to play a variety of classic rock (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin) to heavier stuff (Guns N' Roses, Ozzy Osbourne, Van Halen). This guitar is perfect for all of them. I use it through an Orange Tiny Terror, and, compared to the thin sound of my old Mexican Stratocaster, the humbuckers on this are really thick and smooth. Even at high volumes this guitar manages to stay deathly buzz free, although I can't compare the noise to other humbucking guitars as I was a Strat player. I had grown used to the hum that you get when playing through single coils and I had thought that every guitar was like this. I was pleasently surprised when I plugged my PRS in and heard no hum whatsoever. The Treble pickup is very bright but not like a Strat bridge pickup, it isn't unbearably glassy and bright, but rich and full sounding, great for leads and solos. The Bass pickup is perfect for Rhythm playing, and the Parallel single coils with the volume rolled back a little give great trebly cleans. For something a bit warmer you can just Switch back to series coils which gives more low end. A huge variety of sounds can be made which will suit many different styles of playing. It is absolutely perfect for me. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I recieved the guitar perfectly set up. The action is quite low which makes it really easy to play. The pickups sounded perfect and every thing was flawless. The finish is high gloss over stained mahogany, although a fiqured maple top is available. This is a very beautiful looking guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems quite solid, but at the moment, since I have only had it a few weeks, I am too scared to bang it off anything incase I chip the finish. One interesting thing is that I accidentally banged it off my first guitar, a Stagg Stratocaster copy, and the paint chipped off the Stagg, but there wasn't even a small dent in the PRS. The finish didn't take and damage at all! The hardware seems very durable, nothing is wobbly and it all feels very solidly put together. The strap buttons are fimly attached, and I would depend on it to play a gig. As demonstrated in its bash with the Stagg, the finish seems extremely durable and hard wearing, not one which will wear through easily. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for any style of rock, blues, metal, in all a very versatile guitar. I have been playing guitar for four years, and this PRS blows both my Stagg and my Fender out of the water. I did regret not choosing the model with the coil tap push/pull Switch, but this guitar has enough pickup options to make up for that. If it were stolen I would definately buy another PRS. The thing I love about PRS is that they use the same pickups on their CE 22 as they do on their high end Custom 22 guitars. My favourite features are the range of sounds which can be produced, and the easy playability of the neck. Overall a fabulous guitar. I would recommend it to everyone. // 10

CE 22 Reviewed by: Robbgnarly, on march 10, 2011

Purchased from: Total Entertainment

Features: 2002 PRS CE22 made in the USA. Mahogany body witha flame maple cap, 22 fret, maple neck with a wide/fat neck profile, PRS designed locking tuners, PRS designed tremilo, Dragon II pickups. Mine is Whale blue with a black back, no binding like I have seen on other models. 1 volume, 1 tone and a 5 way rotary swich for coil taping and p/u selection(Bridge humbucker, Bridge single coil, Bridge and neck singel coil, neck single coil, and neck humbucker). It also came with a hardshell case. // 10

Sound: This is a tonal monster, big, fat humbuckers with plenty of bite. And the single coil mode is pretty good also. I play a variety of styles, but am more a metal/punk player, and I haven't found a genra that this can't do and sound superior to just about anything else. I use a Bugera 333 into a Krank Rev 4x12 and it is awesome with virtualy no feed back(no noise gate eather). I think the maple neck gives it a snapier(straty) sound but the mahogany body keeps that warm(les paul) quality. The pickups are not overly hot, but will get masive amounts of distortion or be sparkiling clean(I'm not sure, but it seems like my JB equiped SG is a hoter pickup). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I would give PRS the most consistant quality award over any other big manufacture's(Gibson, Fender, ESP, Schecter, ect..). There attention to detail is amazing. The factory set up is amazing it almost plays its self! The maple top although it's not a "10" top, is highly figured and very well bookmached. After 5 years of regular touring and giging as my main guitar I went to have the thing checked out(30,000 mile tune up!) and other than some minor fret wear this was still set up to factory specs!!! And it has been around the country for weeks at a time in a HOT trailer or in a freezing trailer thats a testimate to how high the quality standards are. My only problem is the Bridge finish it started to wear off the nickel/chrome plating after about 1 yr and the sadles are now almost totaly brass, not a problem except astheticly, I wish they would have done a better plating job this is why I gave it a 9. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand anything you can dish out(within reason). Everything on this guitar was made to last, my kids kids should have no problem with this in 50 yrs. This is made with the quality and care thet Gibson and Fender just don't do any more. The hare ware is very sturdy and should last for a lifetime of playing. The finish is imaculate(minus the ding I have made) and shows no sign of wearing through after 7 years of constant playing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very well made guitar, but the price tag is a little hefty for some players. If you try one out chances are you'll be aching to get your hands on one perminantly. I basicly stoped using my Gibson LP after I bought this and sold the Gibson!!(the LP was the guitar I always wanted, until I found out about PRS. If it were stolen I'd cry and cry, because I can't afford another one(well my wife won't let me afford another one!!) If you have the money to throw down I'd recomend one for sure, Deffinately the best guiotar I have ever bought. // 10

CE 22 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 02, 2011

Purchased from: Used Dealer

Features: Simple 22-fret PRS guitar. Made in '08 in Korea. The body is made of mahogany with a flamed maple top with creme binding around the full body. An absolutely beautiful charcoal gray! The neck is Standard PRS with (I believe it is) a 10" radius. Made of maple with a rosewood fretboard, nice and thin, with medium-jumbo frets. Set-thru gives you as the player easier access to higher frets. The neck and headstock also have binding around them. Hardware includes: an adjustable PRS stoptail that you pull the strings around into their grooves, PRS non-locking tuners, one tone knob, one volume knob, and a 3-way toggle switch. The two humbuckers in it were Standard issue straight from the factory, but I took them out and replaced them with a DiMarzio Mo' Joe in the Bridge and a DiMarzio PAF Joe in the neck. Even though I got it used, it was in prestine condition "like new", and the guy threw in a hardcase, a strap, and the tools I needed to make any adjustments. // 10

Sound: I play mainly a lot of progressive metal and jazz fusion (kind of thinking along the lines of Cynic, Atheist, Opeth, and Meshuggah). I'm also heavily into the "djent" movement that is taking over the metal underground now. I play through a Line 6 X3 Live plugged via the direct outs straight to the soundboard at the front of the house (with the live outs plugged into a smaller cabinet behind me so I can use it as a monitor for my own personal use). No other amps or heads - just amp modelling (alot of the djent players use this setup now). This guitar has such a beautiful, rich, full sound. Noise can easily be cut down by rolling back on the volume knob and you can achieve such versatile sounds. I can go from a roaring metal tone to simply pulling back onto an "almost-clean sound" without switching anything. The volume pots on this thing offer superior control. It can easily go from metal to jazz to bluesy-stuff in a heartbeat. As for tone, you can achieve so much more tone from a PRS that you can from any other guitar I've played (Watch Emil Werstler's video on the PRS site - he says the exact same thing. Same with Carlos Santana). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guy who sold it to me kept the setup pretty much the same way the factory did (not too hard to tell). Once I swapped the pickups for the Dimarzios with a bit more articulation and output, this thing was a dream to play. No flaws what'soever, except for the few belt rashes on the back that come overtime from simple playing. I play this guitar at my live shows all the time and it has been the only one I need. No problems. The neck offers slick, fast action and the knobs are perfectly positioned for ease of access (and so you don't accidentally hit one and turn yourself down). It reminds me of a Les Paul with the sustain and resonation from the wood at the round "butt end" of the body, but near the top where it's solid wood into the neck with the cutaways, that offers that unmistakeable sleekness that shredders will like alot. THIS GUITAR HAS BALANCE TO THE BODY. The guitar is very responsive to pick attack and the adjustment of where you're picking (but then again, it's probably the Dimarzios I put in). // 8

Reliability & Durability: Like I said, I play it live and it has been the only guitar I've needed. No problems - no backups. I keep this bad boy tuned down to Drop A# with a Custom set of D'Addario strings that I hndpcked and it sounds brilliant. I tune it once and don't touch it until the next gig - and it still stays in tune (It was quite a surprise considering the tuners are just Standard non-locking PRS tuners). // 10

Overall Impression: I'm a strict PRS player. At the risk of sounding like a prick, I only play PRS guitars because they offers such amazing quality, playability, versatility, and they are downright eye candy. In addition to this Custom 22, I also own a SE Paul Allender Signature Model and a SE Mark Tremonti Sigature Model. Such great guitars! Now I see why so many players use PRS guitar nowadays. (Some great bands the play PRS include: Opeth, Cradle Of Filth, Staind, The Black Dahlia Murder, Red, Skillet, Kutless, Thousand Foot Krutch, Breaking Benjamin, Flyleaf, Fireflight, Shinedown, Linkin Park, The String Cheese Incident, and Between The Buried And Me). // 10

CE 22 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 01, 2011

Purchased from: Total Entertainment

Features: 2002 model bought in 2004 NOS. 22 fret wide-fat bolt on neck. Flamed maple top with a mahogany back. Mine is Whale blue with a black back, it also has no binding on the body like some others I've seen and played. PRS designed trem that stays in tune amsingly well with the locking tuners. 1 volume, 1 tone and a 5 way rotary selector(wich I am trading out for the 3 way toggle swich and push/pull pots). Dragon 2 pick ups which sound awesome to me. And a hard shell case. // 10

Sound: Great sound I had a 2000 Gibson LP Studio that was a great sounding good playing guitar, but I swear by PRS now. Notes are full and defined with any setup I use(Spider valve HD100, Bugera 333, Peavey JSX, Mesa Dual Rec, Laney 4x12 cab, Krank Rev 4x12 cab, Laney 2x12 vertical cab). No noise unlike my SG with a duncan JB. Great single coil sounds too. This guitar can do jazz to metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is a superbly made guitar, I'd be willing to say the most consistantly well made guitars in the world(Gibson's and Fender, ect are hit or miss any more). After 5 years of heavy giging I took it in to my local tech who couldn't belive how low the action was with absolutely no fret buzz, needless to say all he did is polish it and re string it. Now it is not a 10 top, but it is a highly figred top. My only complaint is the trem is not plated well in my opinon(brass is very prevelent now insted of the nickle that was ther when new), but does not afect playability at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Does any one realy not know how well these guitars are made? This is a perfect 10. I've used this for 7 years at least 4 times a week with never a problem. the stock strap buttons are better than any other company minus strap-locks.PRS means dependability & reliability. // 10

Overall Impression: While I play mostly hardcore, Punk, and Metal but this guitar can do anything.I have now owned this guitar for 7 years and play the crap out of it and it is still factory fresh as far as playability, set up, and tone. I have been playing for 16+ years and it don't get any better than this. If it were stolen I would cry, because it would be a long time before I could ever afford a USA made PRS again, and PRS discontinued the CE line in 2008 or 2009, so good luck finding one that isn't beat up that some one will acualy sell you. More people offload the custom 22's more often than the ce 22's. All I was able to compare it to that I had owned at the time of purchase were a late '70's SANOX LP clone(Awesome guitar by the way), 2000 Gibson LP Studio, and a 1996 Squire Teli Pro-Tone(best teli I have ever played), and the PRS trumps all of these. and now years later the CE is still my baby(and I've aquired quite a few guitars since then). // 10

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review