Mark Tremonti Signature Review

8.7
reviews (4) pictures (12) 39 comments vote for this gear:
Mark Tremonti Signature Reviewed by: Bovaiveu, on november 27, 2009

Purchased from: Musikkinstrumenter.no

Features: This guitar is a single-cut beautiful piece of wood. The body is made of solid mahogany and maple top. You can really feel the weight of this thing it is really heavy, but the guitar is still well balanced. It has a mahogany neck with a rosewood fretboard, the classic PRS bird pearl inlays. The profile of the neck is wide-thin which really feels nice and the finish of the neck is absolutely beautiful. About the inlays pre-2005 editions of this guitar has a "Tremonti" text inlay on the twelfth fret. The guitar comes with quilted or flamed maple and pretty much any color you want. The bridge is a tremolo of PRS make, it is of good quality and feels and handles good the pre-2005 editions do not have the trem-up routing. Overall the guitar roars of Paul Reed Smith quality which easily sets the bar for top of the line guitars. Body - Mahogany Top - Maple (Quilted or flamed) Neck - Mahogany Fret - 22 frets, 25 length - Rosewood Hardware Bridge - Tremolo with Trem-Up Routing Tuners - PRS 14:1 Phase II low mass locking tuners Truss Rod Cover - Tremonti Hardware Type - Nickel Treble Pickup - Tremonti Treble Bass Pickup - Tremonti Bass (Covered) Pickup Switching - Volume and Tone Control for Each Pickup and 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector On Upper Bout // 10

Sound: The guitars solid mahogany body gives a very deep and rich tone and it truly sings. The treble and bass pickup has a very different sound where the neck pickup gives a strong bluesy tone with nice warm feel. Whereas the bridge pickup is dirty and hot with nice sustain. Overall I can hands down say that this guitar suits any style and it will excel at any area. I myself play blues, country, rock and metal. And this guitar will probably be the one guitar I will ever need. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I do not know if my guitar came factory set up as I did not inquire upon it when I received the guitar. Apparently the guitar was to come with "nines" in string gauge, and that it did. The finish was exquisite and all edges were perfect overall smooth and shiny, but all of this is what one should expect from Paul Reed Smith and a guitar in this price range. The tone/volume pots came off pretty easily, I do not know if this is normal, but they are still tight and precise. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is a tank! But it handles like feather. A truly well made instrument it feels solid and it is solid. I have not dropped it in the floor (thank god) but I bet it would survive pretty much anything. The strap buttons are large. I had to "modify" my strap to make it fit, but it's worth it as it removes the need of strap locks. The tuners are so precise and easy to "retune" that I could use this on a gig without a backup. Being passive it does not need a battery. The finish is made to last a lifetime. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my guitar. There are not many like it, and this one is mine. My guitar is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. Me without my guitar, is useless. Need I say more? This guitar has fulfilled every aspect of what I expected and still surprises me. If it were lost I would buy a new one that I would use as a sledge to hit the sorry sod that stole my first one because it is heavy as hell. // 10

Mark Tremonti Signature Reviewed by: epiman20, on january 25, 2012

Features: I have a 2008 Mark Tremonti Signature. It was made on the 25th Anniversary year, so it was the first year with the shadow birds, which I love. I actually order the guitar through Mother's Music and the guitar was made for me at the factory and shipped to the store. The features of this guitar are: - Maple top, Mahogany back, Mahogany neck, Rosewood fretboard - 22 Jumbo Frets - Gloss, Tri-Color Sunburst finish (with natural binding) - PRS Bridge - Tremonti Pickups - One volume and one tone for each humbucker and a 3 way switch - PRS Phase II low mass locking tuners - PRS hardshell case, spare tuner parts and certificate of ownership. // 9

Sound: The reason I bought this guitar was because I bought an amp about 5 years earlier from Mother's and after the sale the employee asked me if I wanted to try the amp out on an expensive guitar (no doubt to make me buy a guitar also), so I told him to get me that 2003 Tremonti (pre-lawsuit). It played like a dream, but the neck was just a little thick for me. Once I had the money to buy one the only problem I had with it (the neck thickness) had been fixed. This is the perfect guitar for my style. I love metal and all forms of rock, but this guitar also has tone for days because of its solid construction, so it has extremely warm clean tones, which was a must for me. I use it with a Mesa/Boggie Nomad 100 (one of my favorite amps ever), a Morley Power Wah, Behringer US600, and Korg Pitchblack tuner. I just use the amp's channels for clean and distortion. Because there is a tone knob for each pickup there is a wide variety of sounds that this guitar can make, especially when both pickups are on at once. It was warm cleans and bright highs, everything I need. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: PRS factory set it, that is always a good thing. After I got it I changed the Strings to D'Addario Regular Light, but the factory strings seemed to play just fine. Nothing was lose and the guitar was more playable right out of the case than most guitars are after a setup. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Very durable guitar. The hardware and finish were well done, as they say, "it's a tank". I use it all the time without a backup. I would like it to have the new PRS V12 finish, because the neck is lacquer and it gets a little sticky from time to time, but I would never sand it. // 9

Overall Impression: After playing for about 6 years I finally bought a guitar worth more than $400, and it was worth it. The best guitar that I used to own was a used Ibanez SZ320M, and I loved that guitar, but the Tremonti is leagues better. If it was ever stolen or lost I would probably suffer a mental break and go into the fetal position for a few days. One thing I love about it is the weight, 8 lbs. Is not to heavy, but heavy enough that is feels solid in your hands and you can use the weight on vibratos and bends. The tuners rock too, PRS makes the best tuners and tremolos, way better than Floyd Rose. It has everything I need, keep up the good work PRS. // 9

Mark Tremonti Signature Reviewed by: DubbyG, on february 08, 2012

Features: My Tremonti was made in 2010 in Stevensville Md 'USA'. It has 22 frets and a 25" scale length. It also sports a wide thin neck profile that is made of mahogany and fretboard of rosewood. My neck also features the hollow birds for inlays that are made of mother of pearl. Its has a thick mahogany body with a carved maple top. Its a flamed maple top in the color of evergreen. And has a bodystyle of a Les Paul. It also features a PRS tremolo with up routing and PRS Phase 2 II locking tuners. Tremonti signature bridge and neck pickups are installed. These are controlled by 2 volume knobs and 2 tone knobs with a three way selector to switch between the bridge, neck bridge and neck. It also came with a very nice PRS case with a button snap compartment that holds all the case candy. // 10

Sound: Tho I mainly play metal this guitar suits all styles of music without a doubt. The tones you can get out of this guitar are phenomenal from blues, jazz, rock, country, funk and metal it does them all without hesitation. When plugged in to my Mesa Tripple Rec this guitar screams in a good way. It stays very quiet until you want it too no grounding issues with this monster. The sound is very balanced and the tone knobs really make a difference. However I leave mine all the way up to get the max out of each. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was on back order from PRS 3 months before it was shipped to me. Its was the worst 3 months of my life lol but it was well worth the wait. It came factory set up with gauge 10 strings and the action was low and fast right out of the box. No buzzing BS even after it traveled from MD to NV on a Ups truck for 5 days. The quality and finish of the monster was second two none beautiful top I didn't order a 10 top but was still blown away from the detail. No flaws at all it was like gong from driving a 86 Honda to a 2010 Porsche. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a beast it is built like a tank I've used it live many times and no issues at all. All of the hardware and strap buttons are built great however I did replace the strap buttons with locking Dunlops only because its my preference. The finish on the guitar is really good and I believe will last the test of time. I don't think you would need a back up for this guitar but its never a bad idea. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I can state this is one of the best guitars I've ever played and and their are few. I've been playing for 18 years and own a lot of nice gear but I treasure my Tremonti for sure you would have to rip it out of my Dying hands to get it from me. And I would just as soon starve and go homeless lol. I absolutely without a dought love this amazing creation fo me anyways it blows Gibsons away its probably what a Gibson should have been and I own a few Gibsons so I'm not bypass. Gibson Love RIP Paul... To end this to sum it all up if you can afford one get one you will not be disappointed. // 10

Mark Tremonti Signature Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 14, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in November of 2011 meaning that it comes with all the new appointments including V12 finish, pattern thin neck carve and Phase III locking tuners. These new features are all amazing, firstly the neck carve is thin enough to play fast but still just thick enough to be comfortable. The V12 finish looks amazing and the phase III tuners are smooth, precise and hold tune insanely well. The Tremonti model also features a mahogany back and neck with a Flame maple top, 22 frets with a 25" scale length, Tremonti Treble and Bass humbucker pickups, two volume and two tone knobs with a 3 way selector switch and a full floating PRS tremolo. The inlays are Shadow birds, basically they are bird outlines with a lighter brown filling. They look amazingly good, by far my favorite bird inlays PRS has done. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds insanely good. I play mostly Hard Rock/Metal, blues and pretty much any other rock. This guitar covers everything well. The bridge pickup is very aggressive and delivers insane overdrive and lead tones and the neck pickup is very warm. But this guitar doesn't just do overdrive well, it also delivers the most beautiful clean tones I've heard from humbucking pickups. The neck pickup is very warm and the bridge pickup is very bright, but where this guitar really shines is with both pickups engaged. The clarity of this configuration is amazing, seriously shimmering cleans. My amp is only a Marshall MG series 100w solid state amp but this guitar makes it sound great. The amp has a crunch mode that I never used before because it sounded awful and now all of a sudden it sounds good with the PRS. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came set up amazingly well, the action is perfect and the bridge was set up perfectly. Props to PRS for the amount of effort and care they put into their guitars. The construction is absolutely flawless and there are no imperfections in the finish anywhere. My particular guitar is in Black Gold Burst finish which is simply amazing and the flame maple top is gorgeous. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only had this guitar for a short time but it certainly gives the impression of being well constructed and durable. I have never gigged with it but would certainly do so without a backup. And the strap buttons on this thing are very good, once the strap is on there it does not come off easy. I have the feeling that this guitar will last for years to come without any problems. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is even more impressive than I expected. I also own an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and this PRS absolutely destroys it in every way (which is to be expected for the price difference but is still impressive none the less). If it was stolen or lost I would first of all have a breakdown and then try to scrounge up the money to buy another one as soon as I possibly could. The only thing this guitar doesn't have that could improve it in the slightest is a coil tap but I don't use single coils much anyway so that doesn't worry me at all. This is the best guitar I've ever played, let alone owned. I absolutely love everything about it, the feel, the sound, the looks and the features. So if you like singlecut guitars that can provide great tone and playability no-matter the genre then I highly recommend this guitar, its worth the price. // 10

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review