Modern Eagle Singlecut Review

manufacturer: Paul Reed Smith date: 12/11/2009 category: Electric Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: Modern Eagle Singlecut
The sound and feel is great, but I'll say the neck is the best thing about this guitar.
 9.7
 9.4
review (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
Modern Eagle Singlecut Reviewed by: DGrey, on december 11, 2009

Features: PRS Modern Eagle, 2007. Made in the USA. 25" scale, wide fat 22 fret neck. Singlecut, locking tuners, tremelo. Flamed maple top, "Dirty Natural" color. Mahogany body with maple cap, Brazilian rosewood neck and fretboard. Finish is satin nitro cellulose. Single cut 'Les Paul' type body. PRS wraparound bridge. Gold hardware. PRS Modern Eagle pickups. Volume, Tone, 3 way selector Switch. PRS Phase II locking tuners. Included extra strings, neck adjustment Tool, suede leather hard case. // 10

Sound: I tend to play rock, classic rock, and blues. It's a very versatile guitar with a bright sound that can cut through the mix, yet still give a dark creamy tone when you roll back the tone knob. My amps are a Rivera M-60, Blonde Fender Tremolux w/attaching cabinet, and a Heavily modified Peavey Delta Blues (10" + 12" Eminence Red Fangs in a custom built quilted maple cabinet. Orange drop caps, additional foot switches, and tone mods). The only pedals I use are a Route 66 overdrive/compressor, DigiTech Hardwire chorus and delay, and Jimi Hendrix Wah. I don't think there are any sounds this guitar couldn't make. The neck is thin, but not a super thin Ibanez, and it's not a free floating trem, so I suppose Steve Vai and other ultimate shredders would be dissapointed. The tone knob can be pulled up to split the coils, but even then it's not noisy at all. It's not a Strat, although you can get close, just not that traditional Strat honk. You can get all the tones of a Gibson Les Paul, but I can't find any of the dark muddy sounds that a lot of them will get, and I count that as a win. The nitro finish lets the wood sing, and you get crisp beautiful notes. It's everything you lust after, with no downside. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I could not find one single thing that wasn't orgasmically perfect. Considering the price, it had better be, but it's nice to get what you pay for. From the factory, it had a better setup than most guitar shops will give you. The frets are nice and smooth (I had one guitar that sliced my fingertips open before I filed the frets and got rid of it). It is well balanced, and a true definition of quality. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't trust anything on a gig without a backup if I could help it, but if someone put a gun to my head and said pick one guitar and that's all you could have, this would be it. The strap buttons are extra wide (which can be difficult to get a leather strap on and off, but hold on like nobody's business). The nitro finish will probably wear easier than a poly finish would, but it's not difficult to repair either. I'm pretty sure you could use to kill someone and still play good music with afterwards. // 10

Overall Impression: I like music you can hear and sway to - Blues, a little Jazz and Reggae, Classic Rock. Almost nothing with metal in the name of it. This plays everything I like perfectly. I had delusions in high school, but never went anywhere with it. I picked the guitar up again after 30 years, so I'll say I've been playing for the last 3 years. If it were stolen, I would have to buy another one. Once I hunted the thief down, and broke the neck off after giving him a guitar body enema, I would need to get a replacement immediately. The sound and feel is great, but I'll say the neck is the best thing about this guitar, I love it most of all. There is nothing about it hate. If I had to change anything, I'd like a color that 'pops' a bit more. After having it for a while, the dirty natural is a bit drab. But then again, it's all about the sound. // 10

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review