S2 Mira Review

manufacturer: Paul Reed Smith date: 08/05/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: S2 Mira
PRS S2 Mira is a perfect match for blues and rock, but it pretty much handles anything you throw at it.
 8.9
 9.8
review (1) pictures (4) 7 comments vote for this gear:
S2 Mira Reviewed by: TheBlisterer, on august 05, 2014

Purchased from: Andertons Music Co.

Features: The Paul Reed Smith S2 Mira is a brand new model from the PRS production line. It was an attempt to make the guitar slightly more affordable whilst refining it's features and keeping the new model true to it's predecessor's glory... PRS have succeeded in this endeavour. My personal model was made in March 2014 in the USA and arrived in excellent, new condition as described by the seller. It has a 22 fret thin Mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboard, comeplete with silvery white bird inlays. Along with a thin, asymmetric beveled Mahogany body, it has Nickel hardware with a 25" scale length. PRS S2 locking tuners, PRS stoptail bridge and S2 Mira humbucking pickups.

The finish I chose to go for was the popular McCarthy Tobacco Sunburst, which looks lovely on this guitar. The S2 Mira has a 3 way pickup switch with the option to "tap out" the tone knob by pulling it away from the guitar to change the pickups from humbucking to single coil for excellent choice in sound, giving potentially endless possibilities with sound variation. The Mira also came with it's respective gig bag.

My only minor gripe was that the guitar did not come with a strap, but this was easily sorted on Amazon the same week. The Mira would also have looked even more the part if it had lovely silver pickup covers. // 9

Sound: My personal favourite music style to play is easily blues, although I do often play hard and soft rock in the form of AC/DC and Dire Straits along with many other bands of the genre. But do not be lead to think that this guitar was only meant for the blues, I can get a perfectly good metal sound out of it, and with the right amp, could be a metal beast! I use all kinds of different settings on my Line 6 Spider valve amp and they all sound great and true to form. Not much more to say on the sound of the S2 Mira, it pretty much excels in every area. (Particularly with a snappy/bassy clean sound). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As said before my S2 Mira arrived in perfect condition and was properly set up and included the correct hang tag. Pickups - Perfect, both were set in their correct positions. Set up - Perfect. Flaws? - None.

All the hardware was properly polished, all the fretwires properly filed etc. Action is nice and low and the neck double cutaway provides nice access to the higher frets. The finish is, as usual from PRS, gorgeous and flawless, no further comments here. Guitar build is of excellent quality for it's price! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Guitar is so far as reliable as they come. I look for tuning stability in a guitar more than anything else and the S2 Mira is brilliant once broken in. I have a PRS SE Custom 24 that has nothing but tuning problems and the Mira is it's more reliable replacement. I hear most SE Customs are fine with tuning but mine falls short unfortunately. It will be sold later this year once fixed. The S2 Mira kicks like a mule and would be perfect for an ol' blues gig at your local venue, no need for a back-up either, I trust it that much. Strap buttons are solid and still manage to look stylish, great job PRS. Again, no faults to speak of. Another perfect score. // 10

Overall Impression: As mentioned earlier, the S2 Mira is a perfect match for blues and rock, but if you're a jazz player then go ahead and buy one. If you play some metal with alternative Linkin Park-esque music, go ahead and buy one. It pretty much handles anything you throw at it. I've been playing 8 years this Christmas, and the S2 Mira is thus far the most expensive bit of gear I own. I have a PRS SE Custom 24 and an Ibanez GAX30, it blows them both away, and rightly should do at over twice the price! If it was stolen, I would be heartbroken, and whoever stole it would be hunted down! So far I pretty much love everything about the guitar and hate nothing. My favourite visual feature? Too much choice I love it all equally! For the price, you simply can't go wrong. // 10

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review