SE Custom Review

manufacturer: Paul Reed Smith date: 02/07/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: SE Custom
The Paul Reed Smith SE Custom features a solid mahogany body with a visually stunning flamed maple top, a glued-in mahogany neck, two PRS designed SE standard humbucking pickups with Zebra coils, and a PRS designed stoptail bridge.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.1
 Features: 8.8
 8.9
 9.1
 8.7
reviews (17) pictures (2) 105 comments vote for this gear:
SE Custom Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 13, 2006

Features: The SE Custom is another affordable option in owning a PRS guitar. The 22-fret rosewood fret board and low action makes playing for hours easy and fun. The intonation on the SE Custom, even on the upper frets, was dead right! And none of the tuning problems you might normally associate with a guitar in this price range even existed. // 9

Sound: The SE Custom boasts such a wide range of quality tones that you may be inspired to learn a few new styles if you happen to pick one up. The SE Custom shreds, grooves, bops, spanks, rocks and funks with ease. The mahogany body and maple top give this beauty some uncompromised tone. This guitar works exceptionally well with a light distortion through a tube amp, creating excellent tones for classic rock or blues. What I really enjoyed about the guitar was its percussiveness. Funky rhythms and palm-muted riffs sound nothing but tight on the SE Custom. And if sustain is your ting, look out! The sustain on the SE Custom was particularly amazing. If you like holding notes for their actual length or perhaps you're a feedback junky who loves tastefully utilizing feedback to color your sonic landscape, this guitar is right up your alley. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Not only is this guitar a treat to listen to, it's also a dream to play. it's ultra-light design makes it comfortable to play in any scenario I could come up with; sitting, standing, one leg up on a chair, lying in bed watching nick-at-nite, you name it. As with any PRS, the SE Custom is flawless in it's style and look. The craftsmanship and attention to detail easily make the guitar look & sound like it belongs in a price range well beyond it's actual list price of $758 (remember, that's list. it's quite cheaper in stores and musicians friend. currently selling for 549.99 from Musicians Friend) The guitar I had the pleasure of testing had a flame maple top and it's color was gray black with a natural maple edge. The paint and veneer was immaculate and quite hip. The moon inlays, chrome hardware and zebra pickups were all excellent as well. Cosmetically, this guitar goes to 11! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The PRS SE Custom proves that you don't have to be a rock star, a workaholic or a trust fund baby to own one damn fine quality guitar that will handle just about anything you can throw at it. The fine folks over at PRS have put their name behind a very strong axe with a very weak price to ensure that not every rocker teenager has to play a mexistrat or an Epiphone. I would be remiss to end this article without including a brief mention of the beautiful cordura gig bag it comes with. The included gig bag looks great, it's easy to carry, has plenty of front pocket space for all your accessories and it's solid design and interior reinforcement will help protect your new baby. // 9

Overall Impression: Maybe guitars like this will be the new trend. Maybe people will stop equating large sums of money with good equipment. Maybe weekend warriors can save a couple thousand dollars and still sound like they didn't. Maybe guitar mega stores will begin issuing lower interest rate credit cards this year. Who knows? But at least you'll know one thing... you can be the proud owner of a guitar with amazing quality, and you don't have to break the bank to get it! // 9

SE Custom Reviewed by: ISuk@Guitar, on june 28, 2006

Features: This guitar was made in Korea, in I think 2005. It has a 25" scale mahogany neck with a 22 fret rosewood fretboard. The body is solid mahogany with a flat maple top and flamed maple veneer and is the general PRS shape. It has passive electronics with one volume and one tone knob, and a three way selector switch to switch between the PRS designed treble and bass pickups. It has a PRS designed stoptail bridge. The tuners are PRS designed non-locking. // 9

Sound: This guitar fits my music style perfectly. I play basically any kind of rock and metal. I'm currently playing this through a DigiTech rp-200 to a Rocktron Silver Dragon distortion to my line6 spider II 112 amp. Even on the insane distortion setting on such a crappy amp with the gain up to 10, there is barely any noise, although the neck pickup does tend to be a little muddy. It also plays cleans nicely. The sound is very full and harmonics are rich. This guitar could play just about any genre except maybe shred, as the neck is very fat. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar in the cherry sunburst finish and it is beautiful. I've searched every square inch of this guitar and have not found one flaw. The action was perfect, low, but not so low as to create a lot of fret buzz. in fact, there wasn't any fret buzz. I thought I might have to adjust the pickups, but they were also perfectly set up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not gigged with this guitar yet, but I'm sure it could stand a live performance easily. I accidentally dropped it once onto a concrete floor and there were no scratches and no visible damage. The hardware should last, although the pickup selector switch is a little bit loose. I would definitely gig with it without a backup, unless I needed a different guitar for alternate tunings. I've had this guitar for a few months and I play about 6 hours a day. the finish is still as beautiful as the day I bought it. The strap buttons seem solid enough, but I'll probably get strap locks just to be safe. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for close to 2 years and this guitar is a perfect match for me. It fits the styles of music I play perfectly. I also own a Squier Strat which completely sucks and for a while I had an Ibanez RG321. this blows them both away ( course that isn't too hard to do). I compared this to a few Epiphone LP's and a few Schecters (C1 Classic, C1 Blackjack) and none of them came close to the sound of this axe. The schecters could match it distorted, but clean they had no chance. I love how it sounds amazing both distorted and clean. I really didn't hate anything about it. If it was stolen, I'd first hunt down the person who stole it, rip their soul out, eat it, and sell their vital organs on the black market. Then I'd get it back. If it was lost, I'd simply buy a new one. I do wish this guitar had a strap lock system and locking tuners, but I can do without those. // 10

SE Custom Reviewed by: Mabu4237, on june 05, 2009

Features: It is a 2009 PRS Student Edition made in Korea for PRS by World Music Industries. It has a great 24 Fret Rosewood Fretboard with a Mahogany neck (Wide fat neck shape) and a 25" Scale to boot. The body is solid mahogany with a maple top and a maple flame top veneer that it takes from its big brother the Paul Reed Smith Custom 24. It has a set mahogany neck as well. As can be expected the SE Custom 24 shares the same body shape as the PRS Custom 24, the only difference is instead of a carved arch top, the SE has a flat top, with a large cutaway for access to the 22nd-24th frets. It has a PRS-Designed non locking tremolo, the same one found on much more expensive PRS's. It has Zebra (Cream/White) PRS-Designed passive humbuckers, and PRS-Designed non locking tuners. // 10

Sound: It fits my music style perfectly, as my taste in music changes from month to month. But a few mainstays in my musical palette are 11, Red Hot Chili Peppers, AC/DC, Coldplay, Led Zeppelin, Sublime, Rage Against The Machine and Frank Zappa. And it manages to cover all of those artists pretty well. I run my PRS in this rig// PRS Custom SE 2 --- Dunlop GCB95 (Wah) --- Boss DS-1 --- Boss MT-2 (Distortion) --- Ibanez CF7 (Chorus/Flanger) --- Fender Superchamp XD. It is dead quiet which is awesome when I'm playing Metallica or Avenged Sevenfold. The neck has a wicked clean tone to it similar to the Seymour Duncan Jazz Humbucker I had in my old guitar and the bridge pickup has a dirtier, sharper sound to it. Both pickups have a very rich sound. The guitar can produce so many different tones, and it ceases to amaze me that it was only $600, I can get a chunky Les Paul sound and then flick a Switch and have the sharp attack of a Telecaster or a Stratocaster. However the versatility rarely will not cover the tone that I'm looking for due to the guitar having two humbuckers, so playing some Red Hot Chili Pepper songs can be a stretch, but for me its still perfect // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is incredibly low, which I absolutely love because making the jump from my old guitar which I had tweaked for hours, to this was seamless, I thought my dad who bought the guitar had a guitar tech set it lower! The pickups are sturdy and at a perfect height for me.. and the Tremolo is top of the line, The top is reminiscent of one of Santana's guitars, the flame top pops! I look over the guitar once a week for any scratches or damage and did so upon receiving it, it was in perfect condition, with one exception, and that was that when I would play a note on the first fret of the high e string, I could feel the nut poke my index finger and it was almost sharp, but that wore down after playing it for a little more. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can see myself having this guitar until the day I die, and through countless future gigs. The hard ware is all very sturdy and I don't anticipate ever having to replace it, and the strap buttons hold on to the strap even when I run with the guitar slung over my shoulder. I can definitely depend on it without a back up. The finish is like all Paul Reed Smith guitars in that it is a work of ART, the flame top seems a lot more resilient in comparison to the polyurethane finish on a similarly priced Fender MiM Stratocaster, and I can see this guitar in ten years looking like it does right now. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything so this is a perfect match for me, because I can capture most notable guitar tones with one beautiful guitar. I have been playing for three years and in addition to this guitar I also own: JB Player SG artist series, Boss DS1, Boss MT2, Fender Superchamp XD, Ibanez CF7, a Crybaby and a Yamaha CG101. If it were stolen... you don't want to know what I'd do, this guitar is my baby. I might buy it again, or hopefully by that time I will have enough money for a real PRS Custom 24 or an American Telecaster. I love everything about it especially the fact that no one my age has a PRS so I stand out. I just love this guitar overall. When I was shopping around for a guitar I compared it to a Gibson Les Paul Studio, a Fender Stratocaster MiM and a Fender Telecaster MiM. I chose it on looks and versatility, two categories that it won easily over its competition. I only wish it had a coil tap so I could get a good single coil sound. // 9

SE Custom Reviewed by: PhiPsi1648..., on december 21, 2007

Purchased from: Eddie's Guitars

Features: My PRS SE Custom was made in Korea in 2005. The neck features 22 medium frets on a Rosewood fingerboard. The fret markers are abalone half moons that look much better than more common mother-of-pearl Dot inlays. My guitar has a beautifully flamed maple top that really shines with the cherry sunburst finish. The body and neck are mahogany with the body being bound with natural maple. Standard PRS body style with the deep cut-out for easy access to the upper register. Features dual humbuckers that are PRS designed. Tremelo bridge ha function very well. Closed tuning machines by PRS. The cordura gig bag that comes with the guitar is the best "case" that you will get with a guitar that costs less than $1000. Includes tools to adjust double-acting truss rod and an extra spring for the tremelo. // 8

Sound: This guitar can cover a wide variety of sounds. I play a lot of blues and rock and it fairs pretty well. Particularly the bridge pickup for a nice, tight distorted sound.I'm using it with a Marshall 15 watt amp and a Crate GFX 120, both of which can provide adequate effects to achieve unique sounds. The pickups, although generally good compared the stock pickups in most guitars in the $500 range, lack the ability to really sing or provide clear, lasting sustain. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Action and neck were set up very well when I purchased this guitar. However, the store that I bought it from deals in mainly high-end gear and may have performed their own set-up techniques on it. The pups height is perfect. The top was exquisitely bookmatched, appearing to be much like a top seen on a much more expensive PRS. The input jack comes loose after many hours of playing but that is simple enough to re-tighten by fingers. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely do Live gigs, I have jammed extensively with friends and saw nothing that would indicate problems should it be played at a real gig. Hardware is solid, replaced strap buttons with Dunlop Straploks because of personal preference, but the originals were OK. The bridge, trem bar, knobs, and selector Switch are perfect. My main beef with this guitar is that it loves to go out of tune, particularly the 3rd string, but I plan on replacing the stock tuning machines with Sperzel locking machines, and I'm sure that will make a massive improvement. The finish is high quality, showing no signs of wear after two and a half years of solid playing. // 8

Overall Impression: I have, overall, been very pleased with this guitar, if it were lost, I would probably buy it again, but only if it had the same type of amazing top that mine has on it. My other guitars consist of a Martin acoustic, which I adore, and an Ibanez that hardly ever gets played. In summation, this guitar can make pretty much any sound that I, in my humble playing ability can muster, and provide the tone and feel to knock other guitars in this price range on their heads. Many people want to know about this compared to an Epiphone Les Paul, this PRS is much better, it's lighter, has better action, and if you're gonna get a Les Paul, c'mon get a Gibson. I've been playing for almost six years now and have found that this guitar is a perfectly good stepping stone from beginner guitar to one that costs upwards of $1300, I personally will continue to play mine and after I add the Sperzel locking tuning machines and a Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz Humbucker in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB in the bridge position, this guitar will be able to conjure the screaming leads, thick rhythms, and clean or dirty blues tones that make any guitar player happy to be alive. // 8

SE Custom Reviewed by: Cool Beans, on april 11, 2008

Features: Made is 2006 in Korea. 22 fret, fairly thin neck. Flame maple top on a mahogany body. Very light guitar. Cherry sunburst finish, which looks awesome. Double cutaway with a contour in the lower cutaway. 3-way pickup switch, one master volume and one master tone for both of the PRS Designed zebra humbucking pickups. The tuners are also PRS designed non-locking tuners. // 8

Sound: This guitar sounds great if you like playing classic or hard rock, and it can even be pushed a little if you like metal. It's also fantastic for those who like jazz guitar, with a thick sounding neck pickup. I like alternative and Indie stuff like Death Cad for Cutie and The Shins, etc. This guitar is not very well suited for that style of music, with very defined sound with low gain or clean sounds. I use a Marshall MGX30DFX and no effects with it. On the clean channel, the guitar is a little dull sounding, unless you have bright sounding strings. On the gain channel, with the gain at about 1 or 2, you can go from a little breakup to good classic rock sounds. From about 3-5 is where things get heavier. Anything after 5 can sound a bit harsh and abrasive. If you are into bands that are a bit heavier sounding, whether it be new punk or even metal, this will suit you well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar out of the box was good. It needed retuning, and couldn't hold much of a tune for the first few hours or days even. But after a while of playing it began break in and stay in tune. The pickups were set up correctly, but if it seemed a little muddy with the neck pickup, that could be easily changed. The flame maple top was beautiful and with the sunburst finish, look even better. My only complaint with this in terms of set up was that after about two months, the pickup selector became just a little bit loose. It turned out to be no problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've only played this guitar Live once or twice, so as far as long term touring or gigging, I'm not sure how it will do. I've given it a decent beating in the year and a half I've had it, and it's had little to no problems. The guitar becomes out of tune quite easily, so locking tuners would be a good investment if it's a guitar you plan on owning for a long time. Other than that, it's a very reliable guitar. The finish is good and seems like it should last for a long time. // 8

Overall Impression: With my taste in alternative and inde music, this is not exactly the best guitar to have. But if you have interest in classic, modern, hard, or punk rock (even metal) this is a good middle price import. Comparably it is better than most import guitars, and it's a good investment for a beginner or intermediate player. I've been playing for 4 or 5 years now and I have a Takamine acoustic as well as this and my Marshall. In retrospect, I would have liked to look around a bit more and searched for some other options, particularly the MIM Fenders. The problem with most PRS stuff is it's obscenely expensive, and so it's pretty lucky to find a good quality guitar like this from them at such a good price. I love that it's light and it looks better than most in it's price range, the finish being the best part about it. I do wish it had better voiced pickups (particularly the neck pickups which gets really muddy sounding) and volume and tone knobs for each pickup. // 8

SE Custom Reviewed by: nick dixon, on january 08, 2010

Features: Made in Korea under license to PRS. 2006 22 Frets, 25" scale, medium-fat neck, jumbo frets, Rosewood fingerboard, mahogany neck. 3 piece mahogany body, maple veneered cap, natural maple binding (looks amazing), polyester finished black, flame top in black (not carved) Strat / Les Paul Hybrid body shape. Solid stop bar tail piece. Passive Electrinics, 2 humbukers, selector switch, volume (with treble bleed) tone. Standard tuners Comes with soft gig bag. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits me perfectly for sound. I play Jazzy / Bluesy licks and basically just noodling in general. I run the guitar straight into a Fender Superchamp XD with a short cable. I may use an Overdrive pedal to just fatten the sound a little. The guitar makes ZERO hum or noise. This guitar is utterly versitile. With treble bleed on the volume (1000pf ceramic cap) you can roll back the volume and still retain the high end of the guitar, this is great for rhythm work and making it sound like a Fender. I find with the amp volume turned up and the volume at around 6, the guitar sounds very Telecaster-ish. With it being a hum-bucking guitar, you can still roll the town off and get a mellow jazz sound, or a full sound. Plenty of mids, bass, and treble. With only one volume and tone, the tonal options available are slightly less adapt to say something like a les paul; for this, unless I was splitting hairs there isn't much more you can get from the guitar for the price, for this reason it gets a 9. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the guitar second hand as the previous owner didn\t have the confidence to adjust the truss rod or the nut. Both of which were terrible as he's fitted 10's. The neck had far too much back bow, and the cheap plastic nut that comes on all of these guitars binds with thicker strings. It is worth pointing out that a tiny drop of mineral oil, I mean a SMIDGE, under each string helps keep tuning something like normal. The pickups werent adjusted to my taste after resetting the neck and action. I rasied them at 5mm for the neck, and 2mm for the bridge. I rasie the pole pieces by ear to even out the volume of each string. Very subtle difference, but it works. The finish and quality of this guitar is unbelieveble for the price. Especially for a korean guitar which usally has the shortcuts of cheap electronics etc. Not so, big audio taper Alpha 500k pots, mechanical switch, sturdy and well thought out wiring. It is also worth mentioning that popular to contrary belief, these guitars come with 4 conductor wire pickups, so with a bit of fiddling, it is possible to make a coil tap. However, I don't really see the point if the guitar has treble bleed, which is a far easier mod. I have changed the cheap ceramic capacitor to an Orange drop, and also the tone pot to a 0.01uf Orange drop. If you're looking for a quick mod that costs only a few , then its worth doing. Will improve the taper and quality of the sound. The neck and fretwire are finished brilliant, Nice fat frets make bending a doddle. Worth mentioning that like a les paul, with the short scale, playing powerchords gets harder further up the neck due to small gaps in the frets. Because the body dosent quite feel like a mahogany body (as in it dosent weigh 20kg!) it possibly could be another generic tone wood under the name of 'Korean mahogany', as saying mahogany is like saying pine, there are many pines! Either way, the body lends itself to the guitar as its light and comfortable and still retains plenty of resonance. Because they chose to put some crappy machine heads and a cheap plastic nut on the guitar, it only gets an 8. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty solid. I like it. The hardware is good, is except for the machine heads. The finish really is the best I've seen on any guitar, it's almost like a piece of ART. Remembering this isn't a real PRS, but its bloody close. If it wasn't for the cheap but and machine heads, I'd definitely give a 10. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, brilliant. There isn't much I'd want to change other than upgrades. It would be nice to have more body contours like a Fender, slightly better machine heads. To me, I really like this guitar, easy to play, easy to mod. Great thing. Definitely buy another one. Probably the best guitar I've owned. // 9

SE Custom Reviewed by: gomer529, on january 05, 2007

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This guitar was made in Korea (don't let that fool you) around 2006. The body is a mahogany back with a flat maple top and flame maple veneer. The finish I got on my guitar was the gray/black finish with a maple edge. The neck is 25" scale length mahogany. 22 frets with a rosewood fretboard and moon inlays. The neck has a wide fat carve but is pretty nice for any size hands. It has a PRS designed tremolo which resembles that of a Fender Vintage tremolo. The tremolo arm pushes in instead of screwing in which is quite nice. There are also PRS designed non-locking tuners. The pickups are stock PRS designed treble and bass humbucking pickups with zebra bobbins. There is a volume, tone control, and a 3-way toggle switch. Included accessories are a deluxe gigbag, cable, allen wrench, extra spring. // 8

Sound: This guitar is pretty diverse. You can crank some pretty good jazzy sounds out with a clean tone with the tone knob rolled back a bit. For me, this guitar fits the classic rock style. This bridge pickup has a nice bite to it and is punchy. The neck pickup has a smooth/creamy tone that is good for soloing but the bridge pickup is also good for soloing. You can control the tone easily with the volume pot. If you roll off a bit on the volume, you'll get a good rhythm tone on a distortion channel. Once you crank the volume up, you get full tone out of the humbuckers. The sustain is pretty good if you don't expect hours of sustain. Overall, this guitar has a bright and punchy tone to it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect when I received this guitar. The pickups were fine but I adjusted them for my needs. The bridge seems properly routed. The finish is that of the American made PRS' and Gibson's but its nice for the price. The finishes were smooth with no flaws or blemishes whatsoever. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar live a few times and it has held up pretty well. The hardware is holding up quite nicely. The strap buttons are very very solid. Haven't used my other guitars recently because this guitar is so reliable. The finish also seems that it will last forever. I've banged the guitar against desks and chairs and it hasn't been scratched. It was even hit by a fan blade pretty hard and there were no scratches. // 9

Overall Impression: Well because I play classic, '80s, alternative, and all kinds of rock, this guitar fits my style quite nicely. I've been playing for about 5 years now and I own a Fender Standard Strat, a Takamine acoustic/electric, and a Vox AD100VT. The only thing I would have really done before I bought this guitar is played it first. I had played similar guitars and figured this one was the same and I got lucky. If it got stolen/lost, I'd probably buy this guitar again. I played and Epiphone Les Paul and the guitar felt cheaply made. The PRS SE Custom is a solid guitar compared to the Epi Les Paul. I do kind of wish it had a Original Floyd Rose for the heck of it. // 9

SE Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 14, 2007

Features: Well, this guitar is made fairly well, it was made in Korea, with 22 frets. It has a Wide-Fat Neck which is made from Rosewood, I beleive. It's body Shape is a double Cut-away, flamed-top Finish with signture PRS non-locking Tuners, PRS Humbuckers, and a PRS Tremolo, or PRS Stoptail Bridge. It has a Volume, and Tone control, with a 3-way toggle selector. If you were to buy this sexy guitar from Steve's Music, they supply the PRS SE gig-bag, a new cable, and a hand-full of "Steve's Music" picks. It's got good features. One thing that is very impressive, is that if you have the volume full, the distrotion is up, but if you have it turned down low, the distortion is low. Only 1 thing I wish this guitar had, was Locking tuners. Other than that, this guitar's features are great. // 9

Sound: This guitar is probably the most versitile gem I have seen. I play a wide range of genres, including Metal (Iced Earth, and Blind Guardian), Classic Rock (Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC, and Led Zeppelin), Punk (Misfits, and Afi), and the great Santana. With every style of music, this guitar pulls through without any flaws. I use a Peavey Backstage Transtube Amp with a Korg AX5G pedal. I use very Heavey distortion, clean, wah, and somtimes a nice warm sound, and it's not noisy at all. This guitar has no flaws, when it comes to sound. This is almost a perfect sound, for any genre. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was perfect, I bought it new, so there were no rust marks, or scratches. I have mine in Grey Black, and it's simply beautiful. The Finish is undescribable, and it looks sexy. The Flamed top is great, and it looks almost exactly like the Paul Reed Smith Custom, I love it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definatly withstand Live playing, and I know that it will last. The Hardware (pickups, bridge, tuners, etc) will last a life-time. The finish is beautiful (because it's a Paul Reed Smith) and it will last a very long time. I would probably not use it at a gig without a backup, because it does go out of tune, with lots of bending, so that could cause problems, without a backup. It is, however, dependable. I've had it for a year, and it's still in almost mint condition. Simply wonderful. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great alternative to an expensive Paul Reed Smith guitar. It sounds amazing, feels amazing, plays amazing, it's versitile, and reliable. I play almost everything, including metal, punk, latin rock, and classic rock. This guitar delivers with every genre I decide to play. I love everything about this beauty. I fthis guitar were stolen from me, I would definatly buy another one. When I was at Steve's Music, I had my choice numbered to 2 guitars, PRS SE Singlecut, and the PRS SE Custom. I played both on the same amp, and they both sounded amazzing, but there was somthing about this Custom, I still can't describe it, I just knew that it was it. You'll have to go and try all the guitars in your price range that you like out, and see for yourself, maybe you will have the same feelings towards it as I do. I would recomend this guitar to anyone Who plays any type of music. If you love Paul Reed Smith guitars, but are on a budget, this is as good as it gets, no lies, it is the best guitar I've played that's under $1000. It's only $750 guitar, but it sounds like a $1000 guitar. // 10

SE Custom Reviewed by: Majestic_Throne, on august 21, 2007

Features: This guitar, well this beautiful work of ART by Paul Reed Smith was made in Korea, with a 25" scale, and 22 frets that sit on a wide-fat neck with "half moon" inlays. The neck is made of rosewood, and the double cutaway, flat top body is made from Mohagany, with a maple top, and a beautiful flame top veneer. The bridge, tuners and both treble and bass pickups are all Paul Reed Smith designed. The only feature that this guitar lacks, is locking Paul Reed Smith tuners, but you could easily replace the Standard tuners with the better, locking ones. This guitar has a volume contol, tone contol, and a 3-way toggle switch. This guitar comes with a very nice gig bag that has "SE" in big letters, with "Paul Reed Smith Guitars" below it. Very, very nice. // 9

Sound: Well this guitar is simply amazing! For the price, you can get so many different sounds, from one guitar, I play a very wide range of music. From metal (Iced Earth, Blind Guardian), classic rock (AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix) and the man that started my obsession with Paul Reed Smith Guitars, Carlos Santana. This guitar sounds simply amazing for every type of music I decide to play. I jam with my teacher, and friends, and this guitar delivers! I use a Korg AX5G Signal Modeling Prosessor for affects, and a Peavey Backstage Transtube amp. Without the Korg AX5G, and the amp's distortion turned up to max, it's basicly great for AC/DC, but add the AX5G, and it opens many, many windows. I could have this guitar are the most distorted setting I can find, and it still delivers nice clean crisp sounds, with no noise. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was absolutly perfect, and still is, from the day I picked it up at the store, the action was perfectly wher I wanted it, and there were absolutly no flaws, what so ever. The Pickups were perfect for what I'd be using them for and the flat top was what won me over. I had never played a flat top before, and I was comparing this guitar, to the Paul Reed Smith SE Singlecut, which has a slightly carved top. From the moment I set the SE Custom on my lap, I knew it was for me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will No Doubt withstand playing Live. I have had this guitar for almost a year, and everything is stil in mint condition. The hardware will last a life time if treated right, and the strap buttons are like rocks, wonderful. I can definatly depend on this guitar for anything. I wouoldn't use it without a backup however (unless there is time between songs), for only one small reason, because there is non locking tuners, it will get out of tune in time with bending. But if you aren't bending much (like if your a rhythem guitarist) then go ahead take it out without a backup it won't disapoint! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar was my perfect match from the moment I set it on my lap. I have been playing for around 3 years, and I've had this guitar for not even a year yet. Other gear I own includes, a Slamer Hamer beginner guitar, a cheap acoustic guitar with no make on it. I own a Peavey Backstage Transtube amp, and a Korg AX5G. If this guitar were stolen, I would definatly get another one. I love everything about this guitar! The non locking tuners aren't that bad either, they don't go out of tune with any minor bend, so they are good enough for now. My favorite feature of this guitar is probably, how versitile it is. I had compared this guitar to B.C. Rich's, and other Paul Reed Smith SE's, but I am completly happy with this guitar. I chose this guitar because I love Paul Reed Smith guitar, but I don't have like $2000 to spend on a guitar, so I'd rather have an SE than anyother guitar. Like I've said, the only thing I wish this beauty had, was locking tuners, which I plan on getting in the future. excellent! So if you love Paul Reed Smith guitars, then check up on the many SE's they offer, I recommend either this SE Custom, or the SE Singlecut. // 10

SE Custom Reviewed by: DDoug, on april 01, 2008

Features: The Paul Reed Smith SE Custom is a 25" scale electric guitar with a 22 fret, set mahogany neck; a flamed maple top and mahogany back; rosewood fretboard with moon inlays; tremelo or stop tailpiece; 2 passive zebra humbuckers, with 1 volume and 1 tone knob and a three-way Switch. // 9

Sound: I play a varying range of musical styles, from rock, metal, blues, classic rock, funk, to hard rock. This guitar is able to achieve these sounds with ease. I am using a Fender Frontman 15G with no effects, and I'm still able to get great sounds out of it. The guitar responds well to overdrive/distortion, and produces little noise even when the distortion on my amp is turned all the way up. When I use it to get a classic rock sound, it has a lot of warmth that I was amazed to find that I could get this kind of sound even when playing on an eighty dollar, solid state amp. This guitar creates a rich, yet at the same time bright sound on clean. This is great for pretty much any clean tone you can think of. I give this section a ten mainly because I have a cheap starter amp and this guitar still makes it sound amazing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was put together very well. The action was good, the pickups were adjusted properly. Although, because I bought it at guitar center, some minor adjustments had to be made to get the action just where I wanted it. No electronics or other hardware was damaged, but the tremelo tailpiece did give me slight trouble while trying to tune, but this was easily overlooked. Overall, the guitar is very comfortable, and gives you easy access to all of the frets. // 9

Reliability & Durability: From the first time you put your hands on this guitar, you can tell that you and it will have quite the lasting relationship together. The entirety of the guitar feels very sturdy. There is nothing on the guitar that feels like it is going to break easily. This guitar would easily survive gigging. It has fallen off of its stand many a time and still works as well as the day I bought it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal and rock, but also play blues, classic rock, and funk; and this guitar gives me the ability to explore all these sounds and more. The fact that it was able to make my little amp sound much better than it should, amazes me. If this guitar were lost or stolen, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. This guitar has amazing tone for the price, and can give musicians the tonal inspiration they need. The one thing I had a problem with in this guitar was the trouble tuning, but I noticed that just keeping your hand off of the tremelo tailpiece you'll be fine. I rate this guitar based on the price, and is better than many guitars I have tried that are in a similar price range. // 9

SE Custom Reviewed by: PRSweet, on april 04, 2008

Features: PRS SE Custom 2005 made in Korea. Although I hear that Paul Reed Smith hires there own luthiers to oversee production (this might be a rumor). 22 frets wide-fat neck. Flamed maple top (very attractive. Online photo's don't give it justice). Mahogany back and neck. Double cutaway body two PRS humbuckers and tremolo. 1 volume 1 tone knob and 3-way pickup selector. PRS tuners (non-locking). With an included deluxe gig bag. Probably the nicest gigbag I've ever seen. // 9

Sound: I have a very eclectic choice in music. So this guitar is playing everything from As I Lay Dying to John Mayer stuff. It does very well with all of them. There are hotter pickups out there so if you're wanting an all out nothing-but metal guitar try something else(the same goes with the John Mayer Strat sound), but if versatility is your bag (like it is mine) then this guitar is for you. I play a higher end Crate amp with a Boss OD-20 and it's sounds really good to me. It hums just like any other guitar will do at higher volumes. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There were absolutely no flaws at all with this guitar when I bought it, and three years later it's still amazing. Action is perfect. The tremolo is beginning to raise in a little bit, but I'm going to get it adjusted as well add some more springs to it. Finish was flawless (I've since scratched and dented it). It has aged very well. The intonation is still dead on all the way to the 20th fret. Thank you PRS. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've never had any issues with this guitar so far. I don't play live, but the guitar has survived me lugging it around to all my friends houses and two years in a Dorm. There's been no shorting of any kind. The finish hasn't chipped even despite the aformentioned dents. The only complaint I can think of is that the input jack gets loose sometimes, but I've never had a guitar that didn't have the same problem. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said my styles of music are very different, and the PRS SE Custom keeps up very well. A friend of mine liked it just as much as he did his Gibson Studio Les Paul (He's now a proud PRS 24 owner). I would definiteley buy anoher PRS SE model if mine was stolen. I might try a single cut or the new hollowbody they have out just for the sake of playing something new. Overall this guitar is awesome. // 10

SE Custom Reviewed by: T-Unit33, on april 08, 2008

Features: Made in Korea in 2006 I would assume. 22 frets on a wide fat mahogany neck. solid mahogany and maple body. Gray black high gloss finish. it's a typical PRS design, kinda looks like a Strat. PRS tremelo and tuners. Volume and tone controls, 3-way switch. Non locking tuners, zebra style pickups. It didn't come with any accessories. // 8

Sound: It suits my music style very well. I do a lot of modern/alternative rock (Nickelback, Breaking Benjamin, Foo Fighters) and it seems to go very well with them. It has a very good distortion sound to it, and a very clear clean tone when not distorted. Not much of a fan of the neck pickup, but the bridge pickup has a great sound to it. I use a Kustom 65W combo amp, with a Boss distorion and a Wah. The pedal gives the guitar more of a crunch while the amp distortion makes it a little more fuzzy. Great sounding with the classic wah, but I think I'm going to try out a tremonti wah pedal cause it seems to go better with modern rock. Hardly and noise at all, even when turned up pretty loud (I played a show with the amp on 8 and the guitar on 10, and you didn't hear any buzzes or hums). The guitar has a very nice sound to it, which could easily be put up against a Gibson or Fender model. But that is to be expected with any PRS, they make very quality guitars. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm pretty sure it was set up normal in the factory, I haven't really done any changes to it, cause it really doesnt't need any. The pickups are adjusted well, but yet again, I really don't use to neck one that much. The electronics and everything were set up well, it was able to rock the second it got home no problem. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, it was a very well put together guitar. Great finish to it also, the black gray kinda changes colors, it looks gray sometimes, kind of a dark gunmetal at others, and even green every now and then. // 9

Reliability & Durability: very good at playing Live, I love playing this guitar. All of the stuff has lasted very well, the strap buttons have held and it's very depedable. I have already used it before without a backup Live, and it went very well. The finish rocks and it's held up very well, hardly shows scratches, and I enjoy it very much. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar! It's definately my primary guitar, and I love playing it. I've been playing for a couple of years, and it is definately worth every cent. It lives up to it's PRS name very well, and I enjoy this guitar thoroughly. It would definately get another one hands down, but I doubt that's happening anytime soon (not the cheapest guitars in the world). it's a great guitar, and a lot of my favotrite guitarists use this brand, so it must have some good qualities to it. The only thing I wish is that it could be one of the higher up models, but I don't have 2500 dollars to spend on one, so this makes up for it very well. Great guitar, go out and get one. // 10

SE Custom Reviewed by: Thranriel, on may 10, 2008

Features: Made in Korea, has 22 frets with cool crescent moon inlays. Made of mahogany wood and has a solid top. Body and neck both made from mahogany. Finish: grey/black. Love it. lol It has a PRS tremolo bridge and 1 volume and 1 tone knob. Also has a 3-way switch for pickups. Humbucking pickups designed by PRS. I got a rather nice gig bag with it. I was quite suprised with the quality of the bag. // 8

Sound: I play metal and sometimes rock. more into the progressive side of things. I love this guitar as it fits my style brilliantly. I play lots of Opeth songs and this guitar pulls them off (maybe not the acoustic side of things, I use my acoustic for that lol). No matter whether it's heavy riffs or the solo type passages it does it well. First thing I noticed was how deep the sound was. Both me and my friend were impressed. I played the metal Demon of the fall with it to the quiet Windowpane and it was brilliant. would sound better with an overdrive pedal though. The sound of the guitar would be perfect for rock or light distortion though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar came with a great action and even told you how to change it just incase the neck bended whislt shipping, which it hadn't. Pickups were fine. pretty much everything was fine and I checked quite hard after playing it for a bit. Finish looked brilliant and action was so much better than my Les Paul Special 2. But I expected nothing else stepping up from a hundred pound guitar to a four hundred. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So far it helds its own. Everything about the guitar seems solid. Strap buttons are perfect (one of the first things I noticed since my les paul's strap buttons are awful). also the input plug seemed really solid (again les paul's was bad). I would deffinatley play it Live and probably will. I would without a back up, however accidents do happen so it would be nice just to have one, or at least a few strings. It seems pretty hard waring. I bought this guitar to last, and it looks like it will. // 8

Overall Impression: Brilliant guitar. Loved it from the moment I saw it. still loving it lol. I've been playing 4 years maybe 5 and I own a Les Paul Special II, Crafter electro-acoustic guitar, a Fender Champion 300 amp (I used a friends Marshall thoough for this guitar my Fender champion is dead ) and a Boss Distortion pedal. If there was anything I would have loved to ask is whether I could change the colour of my pickups. The black and cream stripe thing is ok but they would have been so much better in white I recon. If it was stolen I would try and retrieve it and if it failed get a new one. Of course if I had more money I'd get one of it's PRS bigger brothers but that wont happen for a long time so I would probably buy it again. I love the action. I love the finish, and I love the sound. tends to detune itself a lot, not so much without the tremolo bar out but still noticible. although it doesn't detune it so much you would play a song and then use the wammy and then continue playing the song with the strings all out. I have to tune this roughly after every 2 songs I do with the wammy on and with it off it we need a lot of songs, but since I tune my guitar before playing each time and I use different tunings a lot it would be hard to say. Anyway to sum up. This guitar is lovely. It was worth every pound I spent on it. Such a step up from my old Les Paul. Sounds great. If you need a new guitar and you have been playing for a while I would buy this. Deffinatley. Ask about the colour of pickups before you buy it though if you don't like cream! // 9

SE Custom Reviewed by: JBEADAM, on october 16, 2008

Features: My SE Custom is Korean-made. It has... Drum Roll please... - 22 frets - double humbucking pick-ups - three way pick-up changer, tone & Volume knob - PRS stop-tail - Rosewood fretboard - Mahogany back, maple top - PRS designed tuners, non-locking When I picked up this baby from guitar center, I believe they threw in a couple cords and reduced the price on a case, or something. // 9

Sound: I think this guitar suits my style. well, I don't really have a style, I float between most rock and metal genres. I use a line six spider III with it and, man it really rips it up. With some experimentation, just about anything can be done. I'm not sure if it does blue grass though, and it might be a little hard to shred, but considering I either can't or don't prefer those, it works out pretty well for me. The full sounds can be found by messing with the tone knob for a little bit. With the combination of the tone knob and the pick-up selector, lots of different sounds can be made. The action is just right, it takes little to no effort to fret a note, but the low e string almost never vibrates unless some idiot somehow gets my guitar and smashes his hand through the bloody thing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this beaut as a floor model... thus, it has some hardware problems. The neck pick-up comes loose sometimes, but only after several hours of intense jam-age. the socket for the cable comes loose sometimes, but it can easily be re-tightened. I haven't exactly been nice to it, so despite the used quality and wear of almost a year of playing almost every day, two gigs and five jam sessions, I would say she's doing pretty well. I also like the fact that the finish of the guitar doesn't limit you to one Live genre. ie. it isn't so goth-looking that if you played bluegrass on it, you'd look really weird. It fits most genres. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm still pretty new at guitar, but I have ridiculous showman-ship, which sometimes mean I run into things and do something stupid with my guitar. Yes, it has never crapped out on me. The strap buttons lasted both gigs, however, I did just get some Dunlop straploks in order to preserve my investment. I think this guitar is a good guitar, it just needs a tune-up everyonce in a while. It's like a car that way. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. Completely. I own a Fender acoustic-electric and a Washburn acoustic as well as this babe. I was looking through guitar center, trying things out and testing and re-testing and such. I finally got my choice down between a Fender Stratocaster and a Gibson SG. I tried this guitar and realized that this guitar was effectivly a combination. The only thing I wish it had was locking tuners. That would have been pretty cool. I would probably buy an HHS Strat if this baby got stolen, don't get me wrong though, I would be heartbroken. // 10

SE Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 03, 2008

Purchased from: L M Furtado and Sons India

Features: The PRS I picked up is made in Korea and in the year 2007. I have had it for over a 1.5 year now. It has a mahagony neck with a rosewood fret board and regular frets. It has a flamed maple top and I have the sunburst color on it. The flamed maple is a killer in look, I can't imagine a single time when people have seem my guitar and not said WOW, including some experienced musicians. I have the tremolo bridge which is decent and is super smooth in it's action. As usual it has a toggle Switch giving me three modes of the pick up like a traditional les paul. It comes with stock Zebra humbucking pickup - not great in sound. Tuners are Standard tuners and I was expecting them to be a locking kind, but I think I will have to do with the cheap tuners. Got a good quality gig bag with the PRS LOGO and insignia on it which is pretty good and well padded, it will even survive a mild shower if need be. No straps of add ons. Got the required allen keys and truss rod spanners along with the guitar in a seprate pack. // 9

Sound: I was confused when I wanted to actually buy a guitar last year as I was deep into Jazz. As all blues / rockers know, there are some guitars that signify prestige, power and class like the Les Paul and Paul Reed Smith - it's like owning a Vintage hot rod. I played the guitar through a Laney amp and was quite impressed with the action, finish and quality of craftman ship. I neglected the sound in overdrive mode at that point as the store was really noisy and I was playing on a flat setting through the amp. IT seemed to squeal and crunch and burn when I tried playing some rock and roll rifs and further more the sustain was just too hard to ignore.Currently I run the PRS through a DigiTech RP 250, Boss MT2 into a Laney LV300 - tube amp and with a Boss DD3 in the effects loop. After playing for a year and actually sitting down to design my own sound, I noticed that the stock pickups are really horrible. Not that I didn't care before, but it took me a year to get my gear and accessories together to sit and analyse the smaller things that made a difference to my playing. I got a tube amp to get that raw growl on the Drive channel, but the pick ups fail miserably the moment I dial in the the EQ for either rythm or leads. If I set it to a scoop I can get a low death metal chug in the middle position of the toggle Switch, but the moment I Switch to either the neck or the bridge pick ups, the sound is a complete mess on the same EQ settings. Hence I work around this problem by switching between my clean and Drive channels on the Laney that allows me two different eq settings. So To play rythm I go on the clean with a scoop and Drive for solos with the different eq settings. I would say that the pick ups are not worth it and the tonal range that you can get is pretty poor. Probably replace it with a super distortion / or a evo.. But then again the reason I bought this PRS was for the clean warm sound of the stock pickups in the neck position -- I would say they are the best I have heard... I wont experiment with this particular purchase as I am planning to shelf this guitar and change my guitars to Ibanez. BUt this will be a piece I will retain for the sake of having an affordable PRS - and may be use it specifically for blues / hard rock where it sounds good. On the Drive channel with Drive set to under 50, I can easily adjust my volume POT and get a clean sound and simultaneously crank it up to get a lead tone --- with out having to touch a single pedal. How ever it doesnt't work with a Boss MT2 in line as the signal get too hot for the AMP. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The fit and finish was perfect out of the box. I had the technicians at Furtados lower the action a bit more, but I had to work on the intonation once I got back home. The bridge is pretty smooth with three springs, but do a huge bend and your can see the saddle lift up and all your string go out of tune. Tuners were a disappointment, I expected locking tuners to be Standard in PRS - but guess not. The guys at PRS were kind enough to suggest me to get Grover 406 machine heads as replacements for the stock tuners. The nut could have been of a better material, but IMHO dampens the sound a bit. The pots are smooth and operate but the knobs don't fit tight, they can be pulled of easily and there is a slight ply in the fitting. The frests were filed very professionally and the paint work finish is really super quality, I have checked, ever edge, cervice and joint and it is flawles. it's as if the guitar was dipped in pain and clear coat. The sunburst is very even and consistent in thickness over the entire guitar egede. Strap knobs are of premium quality. The color of the rosewood is consistent through out the lenght of the fret board and seem to be a tight grain selection. The moon inlays look good upclose, but I feel they are not abalon / MOP. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't really abused it. But so far so good and looking at the quality of construction I would say that this guitar will go a long way. I have been playing electric guitar for 17 years now and can definitely rate this a 10. I don't think any pro guitar player will take the chance of playing with out a back up, how ever for a small private party or gathering you can go with no back up and may be an extra set of strings if you have the time to string up between songs. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of genere - I play lot of 60's pop rock and roll, and of course hard rock and heavy metal. Although in my initial years I was more concerned about getting the sound of main stream artisits whos covers I would play, not my aim is to get my signature sound. For a blues/ rock guitar player this is a pretty decent guitar to establish that sound. I got this guitar primary bcos I wanted to stock my collection three different types of guitar systems.. 1) Strat - I have a Gibson Epiphone S-10 which is good for playing all the 60's surf music and some Dire straits. I have the PRS that I can used to play all my classic rock and blues. And I am getting my New RG Ibanez that will be my work horse for the next couple of years as I am turning commercial very soon. If there is one thing I seriously would advise PRS to change are the tuners and put some locking tuners - the price difference woudl be less than $50 for this upgrade if done at the factory level -- I would keep the stock pickup aside as every pro musician I know never works with any Stock pickup and has his own choice when it comes to the pickup. Primarily becasue you have to match your pedal settings, amp settings and guitar tone to create your signature sound, so I really would not worry about that for now and neither should any one reading this review feel that it's the most negative aspect of the custom SE models. And I feel guitar companies know that as well. They test on a specific set of equipment and can never afford to run it through all the amps in the world and see if it is very versatile in sound quality and play in all styles. This experience comes from the customers Who can post reviews like this and expect the community to work around issues. After all even if you were to buy all the gear the Carlos Santana uses, you just can't sound like Santana. // 9

SE Custom Reviewed by: HughesylovesPRS, on december 21, 2009

Price paid: A$ 900

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

Features: I started playing guitar in early 2009 and was playing an Ibanez RX240 and needed my first guitar. This Guitar was made in 2009 in Korea, and it has 22 frets with a wide fat neck. It's a solid top with a Mahogany Body and Maple Neck with a rosewood fretboard and the body is a cherry sunburst colour. Obviously being a PRS, it has the stereotypical Paul Reed Smith Style which in my opinion is in between a Strat and Les Paul. I LOVE the pickups and i have no idea what they are apart from the fact that they're humbuckers and are in zebra colours. The tuners are not that terrific but probably because of me using the tremolo bar a fair bit. The gig bag that came with it is possibly the greatest gig bag known to man. // 9

Sound: I play mainly 70s, 80s, 90s 00s rock with some metal in there as well but I also love classics such as The Eagles. It suits my styles easily whether I am playing Hotel California, Black Dog, Paradise City or Scream Aim Fire. I use a Line 6 Spider III which is fantastic but I use a Marshall vs100 during lessons and that is terrific with the guitar. It is never noisy and rarely gives out feedback. As I said before, it can give out a wide variety of sounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has been set up pretty well at the factory but the only problem was the inotation wasn't up to scratch. It was easy to fix but still a pain in the arse. Apart from that minor stepback it has been set up perfectly and beautifully especially the body and pickups. // 9

Reliability & Durability: At our end of year concert the guitar performed outstandingly and nothing happened to it. The hardware is great and strap buttons are also great too with the strap coming undone only once in a 7 week period (being played every day). Its extremely reliable and is able to play pretty much through any amp. The finish is fantastic and looks just like the $6000 PRS's. // 10

Overall Impression: As I already said, I play mainly Guns N' Roses and Led Zeppelin and it has adapted to these styles terrifically. If it were stolen or lost then I would certainly buy it again because it is the best value of music equipment for its dollar. 100times better than Epiphone Les Pauls. I love everything about it but the tuning pegs are a bit annoying as mentioned earlier. The only thing I wish it had were a larger price tag so people could see how good this baby really is! // 10

SE Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 07, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay, Used

Features: Made in Korea, my PRS is an older model with half-moon inlays. The specs should be known by anyone who's seriously researching this guitar so I'll skip that part. She's gorgeous, a real stunner. I have her in a Grey/Black Quilted Top. The finish has oceans of depth, truly spectacular. I find myself polishing her for hours a day and am hesitant to even play, but am reminded why I do every time I start strumming. Tuners are non-locking and hold tune well enough, definitely the weakest point of this guitar. // 9

Sound: I play my PRS through a Crate GTD15R. The guitar is so versatile it makes me want to learn new style of music. Just tonight on a random insomnia attack I went from practicing jazz to blues to Indie ala "Broke"-Modest Mouse, to "Thunderstruck"-AC/DC and "Black Dog"-Led Zeppelin, with tons of improv and random playing in-between. Turn down the tone knob and you can get a nice super clean sound, great for jazz or chill composition. Distortion is beautiful; the PRS SE Custom has very great tone. The weakest point of the pickups would be if you were trying to get outrageous distorted crunch from it. She can handle it pretty well, but I find I like the sound better out of my ESP EC100QM which is a far worse guitar. The neck is very wide though, so metal probably wouldn't be the first choice of music to play on this PRS. Perfect 10/10, truly incredible. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought mine used from a college student off of eBay. The action is a little messed up due to him putting on large gauge strings (Most likely for drop tuning of some sort) making the action high at certain spots on the neck. This is a personal issue, everything else is perfect. I'm sure that an out of the box PRS SE Custom 22 will be setup immaculately, another 10/10. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig, but this guitar is very sturdy. I feel like she could be dropped and really not take too much damage (Although that would break my heart). The finish is very good, thick and incredible. I take good care of all my instruments so I have no doubt that the hardware will last for the rest of my life. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now. I used to play at open mic nights frequently on my Epiphone Hummingbird. The style of music I tend to play is pretty varied. Acoustic-wise I write my own music, and electric I play everything and anything. My amp is set with high mids and high bass at the moment and I get a great alt-rock/indie sound out of this guitar, which is perfect for me. If this guitar were stolen I would be very upset. I'd probably buy the new 2012 SE Custom 24 model, but it honestly wouldn't be the same. This is the best guitar I've ever played and my treasure. You won't regret buying it. // 10

More Paul Reed Smith reviews rating category latest review